Moderator: Moderators

Granite ball.

Pete the steam
Honorary Life Member

July 8th, 2018, 12:24 pm #1

We had one of these bad boys when I was working in the marble and granite game. Weighing over 5 tons we used to take it to the Stone shows and display it with our machines. Impressive really.

My real name is FRIDAY. When I was born me Dad looked at me and said to me Mam..........
'We'd better call it a day'

Cbwho
Cbwho

July 10th, 2018, 1:03 pm #2

Pete the steam wrote:We had one of these bad boys when I was working in the marble and granite game. Weighing over 5 tons we used to take it to the Stone shows and display it with our machines. Impressive really.

What equipment does one use to grind a granite ball so perfectly?
Thanks

MrMamod
Honorary Life Member
MrMamod
Honorary Life Member

July 10th, 2018, 1:13 pm #3

Pete that is fantastic and going back a few years we had a VERY small version more like a indoor water feature where the ball would spin on top of the water.
Desperately seeking ( NOT Susan ) Mamod Minor Burners of ALL types :-)

Pete the steam
Honorary Life Member

July 10th, 2018, 2:32 pm #4

Cbwho wrote:
Pete the steam wrote:We had one of these bad boys when I was working in the marble and granite game. Weighing over 5 tons we used to take it to the Stone shows and display it with our machines. Impressive really.

What equipment does one use to grind a granite ball so perfectly?
Like this but on a bigger scale.
My real name is FRIDAY. When I was born me Dad looked at me and said to me Mam..........

Damnfmaschine

July 10th, 2018, 3:44 pm #5

There is one on the foreshore near me in WA IMG_0821.PNG
Steam Toys; more like an 'Obsession' rather than a 'Hobby'.

Cheers,
Wallterwall Walter

pitchy
Steam Supreme Being
pitchy
Steam Supreme Being

July 10th, 2018, 4:34 pm #6

Pretty cool Pete, it reminds me of a statement saying don`t mess with us a huge canon coming out of a huge canon.
Lenn
USAF-72-76

Disclaimer, all material is for personal use only always consult an expert before building a boiler.

Because I Can.

Pete the steam
Honorary Life Member

July 10th, 2018, 5:19 pm #7

A funny tale about this ball. We were setting up our stand at The International Stone Show at Wembley , all the machines (diamond wire saws, bridge saws and cnc tackle) when the ball stopped working cos the pump kept cutting out and I knew why but a new engineer straight from uni. told us he'd sort it out. The pump would run for 30 seconds then start again after about another 30 seconds. "It's the thermal cut out" he declared and set off to see the boss to order a new pump. Now I had seen a cleaner pass earlier and debris fall off his barrow with a bit falling into the basin of the ball so I bent over and removed a crisp packet from the pump inlet and hey presto all is fine. The packet was being sucked in and the pump tripping out then the back pressure let the bag float out and the pump start again.

Cbwho
Cbwho

July 10th, 2018, 6:06 pm #8

Of course, the boss raved how smart the newbie is.

;)

Thanks