Moderator: Moderators

First Attemp installing a site Glass.

Rob1962

June 16th, 2018, 6:12 am #1

I plan to install a rather small site glass for a Regner Max.I was advised to not use O rings but use PTFE Tape. Can someone explain,Or a direction towards a detailed video How to install.Thank you.
Lets convert that to Steam.

Robert

classixs
Steam Supreme Being

June 16th, 2018, 8:15 am #2

I had to Google the Regner Max, to find a picture of their sightglasses. As far as i can tell by that, it has nuts with interior threads at each end of the sightglass?

If so, just pull the nut a tad back up, onto the sightglass itself.

Give the end of the glasstube a couple of rounds of PFTE tape, and start moving the nut back towards the end of the glasstube, while gently shoving the material into the nut (with a small screwdriver or a similar fitting tool), so that the PFTE end up sitting at the bottom of the nut, inbetween that and the glass.

The sideways expansion of the PFTE, as it gets squeezed while the nut is fastened, should seal nicely inbetween glass and nut.
Cheers
Jan

superbiker_uk
Steam Legend!!

June 16th, 2018, 8:18 am #3

Rob1962 wrote: I plan to install a rather small site glass for a Regner Max.I was advised to not use O rings but use PTFE Tape. Can someone explain,Or a direction towards a detailed video How to install.Thank you.
I don't know why you were advised not to use O-rings. O-rings work perfectly well so long as you have the correct size.

I have installed a standard Regner water level indicator (Wasserstandanzeige: 30210) onto a Max loco and do not recall using any PTFE tape with the kit. However, I do not have this loco anymore as I sold it on some years ago.
PJLW_Max 001.jpg
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/superbikeruk/videos
The 1980's/90's USA steam manufacturer Miniature Steam Railways "MSR" made a Plantation style loco similar to the Mamod SL. Would you like to find out more? Please contact me via PM.

olivapor
Steam Supreme Being

June 16th, 2018, 8:40 am #4

PTFE should be only used with electrical purpose only !
No meths , tablets nor gas : in case of fire , rejected fluor gas is LETHAL !
Olivier

*** NEW VIDEO CHANNEL IS COMING SOON !!! :-) ***
*** NEW VIDEO CHANNEL IS COMING SOON !!! :-) ***

tiger1john
Steam Legend!!

June 16th, 2018, 8:53 am #5

Olivier, PTFE tape is primarily used in plumbing, to seal threads on fittings. Including heating systems.
John
He who dies with the most toys wins

My YouTube videos
My Flickr photos

Edrock
Edrock

June 16th, 2018, 10:17 am #6

You can also twist the tape and it will roll into a small strand like string. Then wrap it a few times around the glass. Basically you are making your own O ring.

Roly Williams
Honorary Life Member

June 16th, 2018, 11:52 am #7

I would only use PTFE tape if I couldn't find an O ring of a suitable size. You can usually find a pack of assorted O rings on eBay.
Have Fun
Roly

"The human capacity to manage land is great, and the capacity for destruction even greater." (Mike Pay)
rolywilliams.com
youtube.com/user/RolyWilliams

Rob1962

June 16th, 2018, 1:38 pm #8

OK as far as O rings would anybody know the exact size for the sight glass for the Regner Max
Lets convert that to Steam.

Robert

jkbixby
Steam Legend!!

June 16th, 2018, 2:20 pm #9

A set of cheap ($15 - $30) digital calipers will serve you well, now and in the future.
Regards,
Larry

Dr. Rog
Steam Supreme Being

June 16th, 2018, 6:50 pm #10

Hi folks
Looking at the photo I would say that PTFE may have been advised for the tapered threads into the boiler - yes it would be safer to use a liquid sealant.
O-rings are good for sealing against the glass as far less pressure is needed than with PTFE.
Don't use neoprene O-rings, look for a higher-temp material like Viton.
Good luck with the modification.
Cheers Rog https://www.youtube.com/user/DrRogB/videos New positive, and successful motto for 2017: carpe diem