Moderator: Moderators

exhaust pipe on Mamod roadster??

Cbwho
Cbwho

March 13th, 2018, 7:56 pm #1

Looks like the exhaust goes out the side.  But I was wondering if I could route the exhaust out a tailpipe?
I plan on buying a kit and think that would be a nice enhancement.  But if I do that, will the steam condense and just dribble water instead??

imageproxy.php?url=http://i895.photobuc ... a3c99e.jpg
Thanks

MrDuck
Steam God!

March 13th, 2018, 8:17 pm #2

Probably as that is so already. These are weak low pressure engines thus were.

It would be a purely aesthetical decision.
Et in Arcadia Ego

Roly Williams
Honorary Life Member

March 13th, 2018, 10:57 pm #3

It's worth a try if you don't mind experimenting. Obviously, some of the exhaust would condense before it reached the rear, maybe most of it, but I'd guess, once the pipe had warmed up, enough steam would reach the outside for a realistic visual effect. Lagging the pipe for most of it's length would help, of course. The pipe would have to be made large enough diameter so as not to cause back pressure. 

BTW, that looks like an early version so you might want to acquire a newer one to experiment on. 
Have Fun
Roly

"The human capacity to manage land is great, and the capacity for destruction even greater." (Mike Pay)
rolywilliams.com
youtube.com/user/RolyWilliams

Jon Cameron
Steam Supreme Being

March 13th, 2018, 11:35 pm #4

I like the idea, and I would say Roly's suggestion is probably the best way to do it. Lagging the pipes with string most of the way, once it's warm there shouldn't be too much condensate🤔
Jon

Now can someone tell me how to get a myford to regrow metal :)

🇬🇧

Cbwho
Cbwho

March 14th, 2018, 2:18 am #5

I just ordered a brand new racing green one in kit form. :)
Thanks

Cbwho
Cbwho

March 14th, 2018, 2:22 am #6

Roly Williams wrote: Lagging the pipe for most of it's length would help, of course. The pipe would have to be made large enough diameter so as not to cause back pressure. 
Roly,
What inside diameter do you recommend? Lagging exhaust pipes is a racing trick as well!
Thanks

Nick
Steam Supreme Being

March 14th, 2018, 2:51 am #7

Why not put a larger piece of tube/pipe at the rear, flattened a little to resemble a muffler and run the line into that to catch the water/condensate and have a small section of tailpipe coming out of the back of that for the steam? If you didn't want to get too fancy with a drain, just drill a small hole and plug it with a cork and drain after or halfway through the run.

Roly Williams
Honorary Life Member

March 14th, 2018, 8:24 am #8

Cbwho wrote:
Roly Williams wrote: Lagging the pipe for most of it's length would help, of course. The pipe would have to be made large enough diameter so as not to cause back pressure. 
Roly,
What inside diameter do you recommend? Lagging exhaust pipes is a racing trick as well!
Something around 4 or 5mm I/D should be suitable. 

String would be the traditional lagging material but silicone tube would be much easier. 
Have Fun
Roly

"The human capacity to manage land is great, and the capacity for destruction even greater." (Mike Pay)
rolywilliams.com
youtube.com/user/RolyWilliams

MrMamod
Honorary Life Member
MrMamod
Honorary Life Member

March 14th, 2018, 10:00 am #9

I am sure it has been shown on here before where someone ran the exhaust pipe out the rear and maybe there was also a twin exhaust version someone did. Yes it is a early version with the 6 spoke artillery wheels.
Desperately seeking ( NOT Susan ) Mamod Minor Burners of ALL types :-)

Dr. Rog
Steam Supreme Being

March 17th, 2018, 8:34 pm #10

Good idea.
Please consider where your hands will be when you will be operating the car; then put the exhaust somewhere opposite.
Cheers Rog https://www.youtube.com/user/DrRogB/videos New positive, and successful motto for 2017: carpe diem