"D" section boiler

If you have found a handy hint in regards to your steam engine, put it here and let others know. If you need help regarding steam engines, post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

"D" section boiler

LJ Crew

May 23rd, 2018, 9:13 pm #1

My friend Don has been asked to restore a toy steam boat which has a vertical oscillating engine which is fed by a small "D" section boiler, ie semi-circular, flat bottomed, horizontal, about 3 1/2 inches long. I would like to build a similar boat, how do I go about building the boiler? I have built small horizontal and vertical boilers in the past but never one like this. Advice will be welcome.
Tha' can do anything tha' wants with string. 'Cept push

LJ Crew

June 3rd, 2018, 5:02 pm #2

As there have been plenty of "Views" but no replies I assume that nobody thinks it a good idea! And I have just started to build a boat for it. Oh well I have got an old Hornby? clockwork boat mech, now what could go wrong with that?

Jon Cameron
Steam Supreme Being

June 3rd, 2018, 5:09 pm #3

You would find it easier to build a hedgehog type boiler, ie with a load of copper pins through the boiler and into the barrel. 

The D section boiler would require the bottom section cut away, above the Firebox, and a flanged plate making, the former for that I assume would be quite tricky. 

You would do well to search Tony Birds build of a small tram loco, for which he built a hedgehog boiler, and is quite efficient in steaming. 
Jon

Now can someone tell me how to get a myford to regrow metal :)

🇬🇧

dave85
Hero Steamer
dave85
Hero Steamer

June 3rd, 2018, 6:10 pm #4

A D section like a Luton Bowman boat boiler? No great difficulty, anneal and put a flat on a bit of tube, measure up from that for some formers for the ends. Like the Luton Bowman the flat bottom will require staying, they got away with just the one.

LJ Crew

June 3rd, 2018, 8:26 pm #5

The original that I may base this on has a chimney running from top to bottom of the boiler which acts as a stay. What surprised me in the original was the steam take off right at the rear of the boiler where the effects of the boat pitching would have greatest effect on water level. If I were to put the steam take off just behind the central funnel this would reduce this, but it would need lagging.So perhaps the shorter steam pipe would be better.

dave85
Hero Steamer
dave85
Hero Steamer

June 3rd, 2018, 8:48 pm #6

You could always put the steam pipe through the back plate of the boiler and run it inside to the middle.