Moderator: Moderators

Brass or copper guage

Objekt
Forum Newbie
Objekt
Forum Newbie
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 2:30 am

June 13th, 2018, 6:09 pm #1

Hi everyone,
My question today is; what is a suitable thickness of brass or copper to use when making boiler end caps?
The boilers I intend to make will be of 1 3/4" and 2" Dia.
I will be using silver solder.

Thanks for your consideration,

James
Quote
Like
Share

Jon Cameron
Steam Supreme Being
Joined: August 25th, 2015, 2:35 pm

June 13th, 2018, 6:19 pm #2

Your boiler and caps should be the same wall thickness as the tube upto 1.5 times the wall thickness.
Jon

Now can someone tell me how to get a myford to regrow metal :)

🇬🇧
Quote
Like
Share

olivapor
Steam Supreme Being
Joined: August 23rd, 2012, 3:34 pm

June 13th, 2018, 6:20 pm #3

I believe everything between 0.5 and 0.8 mm will do the job ...
Olivier


*** NEW VIDEO CHANNEL IS COMING SOON !!! :-) ***
*** NEW VIDEO CHANNEL IS COMING SOON !!! :-) ***
Quote
Like
Share

olivapor
Steam Supreme Being
Joined: August 23rd, 2012, 3:34 pm

June 13th, 2018, 6:21 pm #4

Jon Cameron wrote: Your boiler and caps should be the same wall thickness as the tube upto 1.5 times the wall thickness.
Jon , I did not understand ... 😳🙃
Olivier


*** NEW VIDEO CHANNEL IS COMING SOON !!! :-) ***
*** NEW VIDEO CHANNEL IS COMING SOON !!! :-) ***
Quote
Like
Share

Pete the steam
Honorary Life Member
Joined: January 30th, 2010, 9:00 pm

June 13th, 2018, 7:55 pm #5

Jon Cameron wrote: Your boiler and caps should be the same wall thickness as the tube upto 1.5 times the wall thickness.
???
My real name is FRIDAY. When I was born me Dad looked at me and said to me Mam..........
'We'd better call it a day'
Quote
Like
Share

Jon Cameron
Steam Supreme Being
Joined: August 25th, 2015, 2:35 pm

June 13th, 2018, 8:05 pm #6

olivapor wrote:
Jon Cameron wrote: Your boiler and caps should be the same wall thickness as the tube upto 1.5 times the wall thickness.
Jon , I did not understand ... 😳🙃
Sorry auto correct, "boiler end caps"
They should be between the same thickness as the boiler barrel, and upto 1.5times thicker. Hope that clears it up.

Your boiler barrel wall thickness depends on the pressure used. If intended working pressure is to be upto 15psi, then 20Swg is ok, if planning working pressure to be over this and upto 60psi, then wall thickness needs to be 16SWG for safety.
Jon

Now can someone tell me how to get a myford to regrow metal :)

🇬🇧
Quote
Like
Share

olivapor
Steam Supreme Being
Joined: August 23rd, 2012, 3:34 pm

June 13th, 2018, 8:29 pm #7

😊😊😊
Olivier


*** NEW VIDEO CHANNEL IS COMING SOON !!! :-) ***
*** NEW VIDEO CHANNEL IS COMING SOON !!! :-) ***
Quote
Like
Share

classixs
Steam Supreme Being
Joined: April 14th, 2012, 5:01 pm

June 13th, 2018, 8:50 pm #8

Jon Cameron wrote:Your boiler barrel wall thickness depends on the pressure used. If intended working pressure is to be upto 15psi, then 20Swg is ok, if planning working pressure to be over this and upto 60psi, then wall thickness needs to be 16SWG for safety.
Have this future " 4 inch pipe bomb" project laying here, and wondered...

Firstly it goes without saying, that i naturally would hydrotest accordingly, before attempting to raise any steam pressure, but how much pressure should 6mm wall thickness be good for Jon?

IMG_20180613_223852-800.jpg IMG_20180613_223458-800.jpg
Cheers
Jan

WEBSITE: SteamUp YOUTUBE: SteamUp
Quote
Like
Share

olivapor
Steam Supreme Being
Joined: August 23rd, 2012, 3:34 pm

June 13th, 2018, 8:55 pm #9

classixs wrote:
Jon Cameron wrote:Your boiler barrel wall thickness depends on the pressure used. If intended working pressure is to be upto 15psi, then 20Swg is ok, if planning working pressure to be over this and upto 60psi, then wall thickness needs to be 16SWG for safety.
Have this future " 4 inch pipe bomb" project laying here, and wondered...

Firstly it goes without saying, that i naturally would hydrotest accordingly, before attempting to raise any steam pressure, but how much pressure should 6mm wall thickness be good for Jon?

IMG_20180613_223852-800.jpgIMG_20180613_223458-800.jpg
Very good ... 😁😁

But you should certainly need a whole nuclear power station to supply heat to that massive boiler ... 😇
Olivier


*** NEW VIDEO CHANNEL IS COMING SOON !!! :-) ***
*** NEW VIDEO CHANNEL IS COMING SOON !!! :-) ***
Quote
Like
Share

Jon Cameron
Steam Supreme Being
Joined: August 25th, 2015, 2:35 pm

June 13th, 2018, 8:58 pm #10

Jan I'm off to get my pencil and paper, to work that out. Sandy (Steambod) will be paying close attention to my working out here since he sent me some "light" reading😂
Jon

Now can someone tell me how to get a myford to regrow metal :)

🇬🇧
Quote
Like
Share