Moderator: Moderators

Bassett Lowke sight glass

Roly Williams
Honorary Life Member

June 17th, 2018, 9:01 am #1

I have a problem with the sight glass on my Bassett Lowke engine ( http://rolywilliams.com/Bassett-Lowke%20vertical.html ). 

This is the bottom half and, as you can see, the tapered spindle for the drain cock is missing:

IMG_2657-800.jpg

As far as I can see, I have several options:

1: Find someone who has a replacement spindle they are willing to sell (the best option but extremely unlikely).

2: Get someone to make a replacement spindle for me. This would be good but, being tapered, it would not be a simple job.

3: Replace the whole thing. The chances of finding an original B/L are virtually nil, but a similar one that fits would be acceptable. The problem here is that the boiler threads are 1BA; not a common thread for these fittings.

4: Drill out and re-tap the holes in the boiler to fit available fittings. I'd rather not do that but will if necessary.

5: Make a pair of adaptors to fit available fittings. This would look a bit odd but it might be the simplest option.

So; basically, I'm looking for offers and/or recommendations/suggestions.
Have Fun
Roly

"The human capacity to manage land is great, and the capacity for destruction even greater." (Mike Pay)
rolywilliams.com
youtube.com/user/RolyWilliams

Maxwell
Steam Legend!!
Maxwell
Steam Legend!!

June 17th, 2018, 9:21 am #2

Buy a Stuart drain cock from Stuart or other & take the tapered spindle with the nut to use it for your water sight glass.
Gone Fishing

Roly Williams
Honorary Life Member

June 17th, 2018, 9:31 am #3

Maxwell wrote: Buy a Stuart drain cock from Stuart or other & take the tapered spindle with the nut to use it for your water sight glass.
What are the chances of it being the right taper?
Have Fun
Roly

"The human capacity to manage land is great, and the capacity for destruction even greater." (Mike Pay)
rolywilliams.com

dave85
Hero Steamer
dave85
Hero Steamer

June 17th, 2018, 10:24 am #4

Making that wouldn’t be difficult. Particularly as there’s already one there to measure.

Roly Williams
Honorary Life Member

June 17th, 2018, 11:00 am #5

dave85 wrote: Making that wouldn’t be difficult. Particularly as there’s already one there to measure.
True if you have the equipment. I don't. Are you offering to take it on?
Have Fun
Roly

rolywilliams.com

Maxwell
Steam Legend!!
Maxwell
Steam Legend!!

June 17th, 2018, 11:04 am #6

Roly Williams wrote:
Maxwell wrote: Buy a Stuart drain cock from Stuart or other & take the tapered spindle with the nut to use it for your water sight glass.
What are the chances of it being the right taper?
100% as Stuart made items for BL. Just make sure to get the correct size cylinder drain cock from Stuart; they come in 3 sizes if i recall correectly.
Gone Fishing

Dr. Rog
Steam Supreme Being

June 17th, 2018, 4:31 pm #7

Get one made Roly.
Its probably a common taper, if there is such a thing, the difficulty is making that beautiful handle and bending it exactly like the other ones, they probably used a jig and you need one too to get it right. Its a classy gauge though - it would be great to see a repro on the market.
Cheers Rog https://www.youtube.com/user/DrRogB/videos New positive, and successful motto for 2017: carpe diem

Maxwell
Steam Legend!!
Maxwell
Steam Legend!!

June 17th, 2018, 8:17 pm #8

These are made from one metal piece on the lath, threads, taper, then the handle is heated & bent.
Gone Fishing

OLLY
OLLY

June 17th, 2018, 8:47 pm #9

The standard taper was/is 10 degrees inclusive

Roly Williams
Honorary Life Member

June 18th, 2018, 5:46 am #10

Dr. Rog wrote: Get one made Roly.
Its probably a common taper, if there is such a thing, the difficulty is making that beautiful handle and bending it exactly like the other ones, they probably used a jig and you need one too to get it right. Its a classy gauge though - it would be great to see a repro on the market.
I'm not worried about the shape being exactly right, as long as it looks appropriate. 
Have Fun
Roly

rolywilliams.com