Any pattern makers on the forum?

If you have found a handy hint in regards to your steam engine, put it here and let others know. If you need help regarding steam engines, post it here!

Moderator: Moderators

olivapor
Steam Supreme Being

June 6th, 2018, 9:27 am #11

napolion wrote: Hi Jon,
Recomended woods are Yellow Pine, Obechi (if you can get it ) and cedar
Not recomended are Hard Woods.
If you would like to borrow these give me an address and i will post them to you i.e. a PM

ronDSC02444.JPG
Very interesting books Ron ... 😊

Why not hard wood ? 😶
Olivier

WANTED , Dead or Alive :
- Schoenner Stirling(s)
- Exotic Weeden(s)  ...

Stay tuned for scenes of my next episodes ... on my "Tube Pages" :

https://www.youtube.com/user/Steamania91/videos

napolion
Forum Newbie

June 6th, 2018, 9:40 am #12

I think just ease of working and the grain the woods quoted are soft to work with and no real grain to speak of.
Important to seal the wood i.e. shellac.

olivapor
Steam Supreme Being

June 6th, 2018, 10:51 am #13

napolion wrote: I think just ease of working and the grain the woods quoted are soft to work with and no real grain to speak of.
😊

Shellac ? ...
Olivier

WANTED , Dead or Alive :
- Schoenner Stirling(s)
- Exotic Weeden(s)  ...

Jon Cameron
Steam Supreme Being

June 6th, 2018, 10:54 am #14

olivapor wrote:
napolion wrote: I think just ease of working and the grain the woods quoted are soft to work with and no real grain to speak of.
😊

Shellac ? ...
It's a type of primer/paint. To seal the wooden pattern from the ingress of water, basically stops it from swelling, shrinking, and or splitting cracking.
Jon

Now can someone tell me how to get a myford to regrow metal :)

🇬🇧

olivapor
Steam Supreme Being

June 6th, 2018, 10:56 am #15

Jon Cameron wrote:
olivapor wrote:
😊

Shellac ? ...
It's a type of primer/paint. To seal the wooden pattern from the ingress of water, basically stops it from swelling, shrinking, and or splitting cracking.
Thx Jon ... any link ? 😊
Olivier

WANTED , Dead or Alive :
- Schoenner Stirling(s)
- Exotic Weeden(s)  ...

Jon Cameron
Steam Supreme Being

June 6th, 2018, 11:29 am #16

olivapor wrote:
Jon Cameron wrote:
olivapor wrote:
😊

Shellac ? ...
Thx Jon ... any link ? 😊
There's loads on eBay, or a good DIY store.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coo-Var-Shella ... noapp=true
Jon

Now can someone tell me how to get a myford to regrow metal :)

🇬🇧

tiger1john
Steam Legend!!

June 6th, 2018, 12:03 pm #17

Just read this, thought I would share. Source.

Shellac
  • This finish is actually a natural product (it's made from combining a secretion from the female lac bug with a solvent such as alcohol) that is very safe once dried and hardened.
  • In addition to adding a protective coat, it also can add a warm amber color to wood.
  • It can be affected by heat (white rings will appear under a hot bowl or mug) or chemicals, so a kitchen table might not be the best place to use it. 
  • Fine furniture items can be greatly enhanced with shellac. 
  • Some shellac manufacturers recommend using it as a protective coat on non-wood items. .
Polyurethane
  • Essentially a plastic in the form of a liquid until it dries, polyurethane is available in both water and oil-based options, and comes in varieties from satin to glossy.
  • Water-based polyurethane is popular because of its low odor and low toxicity. It goes on clear without adding a slight color that oil-based versions can, and it dries much faster. 
  • As with shellac, water-based polyurethane won't hold up well to heat and chemicals.
  • It's good for bookcases, desks, side tables and picture frames — anything that won't be exposed to extremes.
Varnish
  • The name of this finish often is used generically for a finish or top coat. It's very durable because it contains a higher ratio of solids. 
  • Spar varnish is perfect for outdoor projects and for raw wood used for exterior doors and trim on rustic homes. 
  • In addition to protecting the wood, it also provides natural ultraviolet light protection. 
  • Spar varnish is often used on items that will be near or on the water, like a wood boat, decks, beach chairs, etc. 
Lacquer
  • Lacquer provides the extremely intense gloss finish often used on many Asian-inspired or ultramodern furnishings.
  • It is extremely durable and resistant to damage; however, over time it can begin to discolor and become scratched. 
  • Wonder why it's so smooth? It's applied via a sprayer, because it is thinner than the other finishes. You'll need a high-volume, low-presser (HVLP) sprayer and a well-ventilated and spacious workspace to apply it.
John
He who dies with the most toys wins

My YouTube videos
My Flickr photos

olivapor
Steam Supreme Being

June 6th, 2018, 12:17 pm #18

Thanks ! 👍🏻😊
Olivier

WANTED , Dead or Alive :
- Schoenner Stirling(s)
- Exotic Weeden(s)  ...