A couple of flea market finds - what did I buy?

Talk about anything here, hobbies, news, anything!

Moderator: Moderators

A couple of flea market finds - what did I buy?

crazydoug
Steam Legend!!

July 9th, 2018, 12:10 am #1

I went to our local flea market today and bought four items, all totaling less than $20.00.  The first was a double-pole two position porcelain knife switch, followed by a large 15" electric 24 hour clock, and then the two items pictured, which neither seller had any idea that they were.
     One is a drive-in speaker.  I have several variations that I have picked up over the years, but this is the only round one I have ever seen.   The other item was so heavy, I had to have someone put it in the back of my wife's car for me, and I really didn't know what it was, but they were practically giving it away.  
     I now know that it is a 1917 patent Foley Automatic Saw Filer and Jointer.  I looked on YouTube to see how it worked, and none of the ones there are hand-cranked, but I get the idea.  However, I still don't know what the jointer part is or does, and cannot find any video showing that function.  It was completely frozen up when I got it, but half of a can of PB Blaster and a little heat soon had it turning over by hand quite smoothly.  I think I could run this with a belt with my newly-acquired 1 and 1/2 hp Hercules hit and miss engine.
     All in all, four items for under $20.00.  It makes for a great day at the flea market.

bennydaheeb
Steam fanatic

July 9th, 2018, 12:31 am #2

Nice score! I love a good flea market. Well done.
The saw file part is self explanatory, I imagine. The jointer is used to ensure all the teeth in the saw are the same length. Properly sharpened saws shouldn't see a jointer very often.
Benny- AKA Dr. Reverend Delmar MacReady, High Epocht-Church of the SubGenius, Doktor of the Forbidden Sciences.

txlabman
Steam Legend!!

July 9th, 2018, 12:50 am #3

Well done Doug!

Looks like quite a bargain lot for $20.00. 

I love a good Flea Market. 🤠

tiger1john
Steam Legend!!

July 9th, 2018, 6:14 am #4

What s great day! I would imagine the speaker is worth $20 by itself? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1485084769
John
He who dies with the most toys wins

My YouTube videos
My Flickr photos

br0warren
Forum Newbie
br0warren
Forum Newbie

July 10th, 2018, 6:27 am #5

The sequence is to join the saw first so that each tooth has the tiniest shiny flat spot on the end of it (taking all the points off, but just down to the shortest tooth) then filing each gullet in turn until the flat spot just disappears.  Manual jointers are nothing more than a short square part of a file or a small file in a carrier that holds it perpendicular to the blade being sharpened and is run back and forth to accomplish the task ( http://www.jonzimmersantiquetools.com/t ... nter_d.jpg is typical).

Benny's comment is certainly in order.  Once the desired tooth gullet is shaped and sharpened, jointing the saw would only be required for a saw suffering an injury (such as hitting a nail).

MrDuck
Steam God!

July 10th, 2018, 8:37 pm #6

Sometimes you find the unexpected or just darndest things.

I know the first apparatus. It's for adjusting something but it's decades ago I saw it and...
Et in Arcadia Ego

bennydaheeb
Steam fanatic

July 10th, 2018, 9:15 pm #7

I've never seen an automatic one though that must be handy
Benny- AKA Dr. Reverend Delmar MacReady, High Epocht-Church of the SubGenius, Doktor of the Forbidden Sciences.

br0warren
Forum Newbie
br0warren
Forum Newbie

July 10th, 2018, 9:28 pm #8

It is handy if one sharpens a lot of saws (or hits a lot of nails with a few saws).  It takes up some space, is heavy, and is used seldom in the home shop.  I can pull out a manual vise and jointer with a few files and do the job on a cabinet saw in about 30 minutes.

While automatic, the adjustments are critical or it can ruin a saw.

As a load for a small steam engine and popping through a small saw as an exhibit, it is a great piece.

MrDuck
Steam God!

July 10th, 2018, 9:41 pm #9

Ingenious and I understand why a complicated machine as it was a dread to do all those teeth by hand.
Et in Arcadia Ego

crazydoug
Steam Legend!!

July 11th, 2018, 3:58 am #10

Thanks to all for the great amount of info on my saw filer. I think it is missing the part that actually holds the saw and allows it to move across it's length, but i found pictures of the device and it looks simple enough to make, so i hope to get this thing to actually work.
I sold the drive in speaker on ebay for a nice profit and discovered the $1 zulu clock i bought is an early "peter pepper" clock, also worth a fair amount. Selling those items will certainly go towards funding my next steam engine purchase. A very good day at the flea market!
crazydoug