Jagdtiger No.2 "Sunny Boy" from 653 KG Ybbs River Austria 3 May 1945 - Part 1

September 14th, 2011, 6:20 am #21

Devil´s advocate eh!, no problemo.

I don´t think I was clear enough in my last post; the bracket type 1 (see earlier post) you also find on left side, they look exactly the same both of them - a small U bent strip on supports where the slit is only 6-7 mm wide and you put something into it from above. The only thing, in my mind, that fits the bill is that saw and it would look like this;

[/IMG]

The saw looks like this at the end;

[/IMG]

This means you have to have the ends outside of the bracket type 1.

As for the saw being there in the first place, perhaps it´s for cutting down small trees used for camo when in hiding or larger trees for making/supporting roads in the terrain where Jagdtiger´s weight was problem.

Still not convinced or?

Cheers Per

September 14th, 2011, 7:31 am #22

Thanks for clarifying Per - for some reason I thought the bracket on the RHS was a solid one, not one with an open top, and the LHS one just a peg on an angle perhaps for the old track cable - so I couldn't quite see how that kind of saw could be mounted on them. Their alignment still looks a little bit out of whack with straight, even on that slight angle - but so far that is best answer I think we'll see, so I will play around and add one tonight It does seem odd not to protect the toothed edge from damage (or the crew from the teeth) in a cradle of some kind though (a'la the Russian T-34s etc.)?

While the ubiquitous axe and tomahawk are on everything, I'm surprised that larger saws weren't a bit more common on their vehicles? As you say they would be handy for camo branches, clearing fallen trees or limbs or even a path through wooded terrain if they got boxed in. But perhaps more importantly for vehicles of this weight - cutting large simple unditching logs to free them from boggy ground would be hard work with a medium size axe. Maybe they normally just waited for the engineers to arrive to do that sort of thing?

Anyway thanks again for your patience and help in I'd say pretty much solving this small riddle. I'll post some shots of my version of it a bit later on.

Regards,

JB

September 16th, 2011, 2:37 am #23

Taking a break from the other much more involved 512 Jagdtiger build with the full interior, I made a start on my second much simpler exterior-only one this weekend which I'll do up as "Sunny Boy" from the 4 vehicle mixed SS/WH Kampfgruppe from 653 (that Kubinka's present day museum survivor was part of). They were apparently dispatched from the factory in the closing days of the war and operated near Strengberg in southern Austria. I've chosen to use Dragon's 9036 late production kit for this one as it has all the final features of this batch and if nothing else will be an interesting JT build comparo between DML and Tamiya's varying approaches. As it only comes with indi-link Transport Track and no skirts I've used the spare rubber band wider battle tracks left over from Tamiya's kit, as well as the sideskirts I also didn't use which will hide most of these less well detailed tracks which works out well;

This vehicle apparently broke down on the Ybbs River bridge and had to be dragged out of the way. I'll use Kubinka's as a guide to its features and look - though its under very heavy camo net and foliage cover, so hard to see too much at all which will make the build a little bit easier than the other one with any luck...I just have to find a convincing way to do the ropey looking cam net.

Another similar one wearing this net but no skirts;

Anyway this is the only known shot of "Sunny Boy" showing the nickname on the mantlet, and what may well be the hint of a black standing teddy bear logo similar to the one seen with the GI and Russian posing on one of the Strengberg vehicles?;

For comparison the Strengberg link-up Teddy Bear Jaggie with its much clearer mascot emblem:

10 or 12 years ago I posted on ML wondering whether these bears had any significance in terms of a hierarchy in the KG or a callsign alternative, or whether they were just random whimsical affectations of the crews? Sadly it seems it still remains a mystery. There is definitely this sitting bear we know of, "Sunny Boy" may as mentioned sport a standing bear, and the one in the background of the link-up shots seems to maybe have a white Polar Bear perhaps? So what they mean, if anything, we may sadly never know...

Of interest too is an item Ray Blythe spotted in the shaggy camo net and thought could perhaps be a small step ladder, but after a lot of peering and test fitting its what I'm fairly sure now appears to be a wooden chair unusually wedged into the C-Hook on the front LHS (sourced from the old Tamiya Ger. Inf. at Rest set);

Heres the photo resting on the hull to allow a quick comparison of my effort to replicate it;

Haven't made a vast amount of progress past wheels and tracks yet - really only detailed the back plate up so far which will probably still be visible and not be buried in foliage and net. Brief list of things done were;
* Pushed the heel of a knife blade along the centre exhaust pipe flange to simulate the 2 halves, and added 4 bolts to top of it from sliced rod
* Added the empty C-Hook brackets from rod and strip with accompanying wingnuts and rivets and hung a Tamiya jerrycan off one with a .005 thou spacer in it
* Cut the brackets off the C-Hooks themselves and added them to the front towing eyes and U-Bolts
* Added casting numbers to the tow hitch and exhaust guards from Slaters plastic and Royal p-e no.s
* Added the missing lifting lugs to the exhaust guards from rod and the bolt tabs from strip
* Added an Aber p-e chain to starter crank tube
* Added a 40 link per inch chain to the tow hitch pin with a tow cable end from Nordland in place for the cable to be added later
* Added wingnuts to the mudguard flaps as well as the retainer spring pin ends and handles from rod & strip, plus detailed the inner face of the RHS one which I've bent back
* Undercut the top edge of the moulded on distance light and added a fine brass wire conduit for it
* Scribed in the oxy-cut edges of the armour plates
* Added 2 pair of Model Kasten links behind exhaust pipes
* Removed moulded on though bevelled kit skirt lugs on last 2 sections on RHS and replaced with Model Kasten ones

Two on the go should well and truly keep me on my toes for the next month I'd say...
Finished off the cradle and mounted the MG onto the AA post which Panzerwrecks 12 captions as a "Fliegerdrehstutze 36".

First made a flat pattern from lead foil using these pics, drilled some holes and folded it up before adding the gooseneck dilled to fit the mounting pole and some GL bolts. Then added the K59 MG-42 and the Andrea white meal ammo belt;

So thats the last little job done. Will post the final overall build pics in a sec

September 16th, 2011, 3:33 am #24

Taking a break from the other much more involved 512 Jagdtiger build with the full interior, I made a start on my second much simpler exterior-only one this weekend which I'll do up as "Sunny Boy" from the 4 vehicle mixed SS/WH Kampfgruppe from 653 (that Kubinka's present day museum survivor was part of). They were apparently dispatched from the factory in the closing days of the war and operated near Strengberg in southern Austria. I've chosen to use Dragon's 9036 late production kit for this one as it has all the final features of this batch and if nothing else will be an interesting JT build comparo between DML and Tamiya's varying approaches. As it only comes with indi-link Transport Track and no skirts I've used the spare rubber band wider battle tracks left over from Tamiya's kit, as well as the sideskirts I also didn't use which will hide most of these less well detailed tracks which works out well;

This vehicle apparently broke down on the Ybbs River bridge and had to be dragged out of the way. I'll use Kubinka's as a guide to its features and look - though its under very heavy camo net and foliage cover, so hard to see too much at all which will make the build a little bit easier than the other one with any luck...I just have to find a convincing way to do the ropey looking cam net.

Another similar one wearing this net but no skirts;

Anyway this is the only known shot of "Sunny Boy" showing the nickname on the mantlet, and what may well be the hint of a black standing teddy bear logo similar to the one seen with the GI and Russian posing on one of the Strengberg vehicles?;

For comparison the Strengberg link-up Teddy Bear Jaggie with its much clearer mascot emblem:

10 or 12 years ago I posted on ML wondering whether these bears had any significance in terms of a hierarchy in the KG or a callsign alternative, or whether they were just random whimsical affectations of the crews? Sadly it seems it still remains a mystery. There is definitely this sitting bear we know of, "Sunny Boy" may as mentioned sport a standing bear, and the one in the background of the link-up shots seems to maybe have a white Polar Bear perhaps? So what they mean, if anything, we may sadly never know...

Of interest too is an item Ray Blythe spotted in the shaggy camo net and thought could perhaps be a small step ladder, but after a lot of peering and test fitting its what I'm fairly sure now appears to be a wooden chair unusually wedged into the C-Hook on the front LHS (sourced from the old Tamiya Ger. Inf. at Rest set);

Heres the photo resting on the hull to allow a quick comparison of my effort to replicate it;

Haven't made a vast amount of progress past wheels and tracks yet - really only detailed the back plate up so far which will probably still be visible and not be buried in foliage and net. Brief list of things done were;
* Pushed the heel of a knife blade along the centre exhaust pipe flange to simulate the 2 halves, and added 4 bolts to top of it from sliced rod
* Added the empty C-Hook brackets from rod and strip with accompanying wingnuts and rivets and hung a Tamiya jerrycan off one with a .005 thou spacer in it
* Cut the brackets off the C-Hooks themselves and added them to the front towing eyes and U-Bolts
* Added casting numbers to the tow hitch and exhaust guards from Slaters plastic and Royal p-e no.s
* Added the missing lifting lugs to the exhaust guards from rod and the bolt tabs from strip
* Added an Aber p-e chain to starter crank tube
* Added a 40 link per inch chain to the tow hitch pin with a tow cable end from Nordland in place for the cable to be added later
* Added wingnuts to the mudguard flaps as well as the retainer spring pin ends and handles from rod & strip, plus detailed the inner face of the RHS one which I've bent back
* Undercut the top edge of the moulded on distance light and added a fine brass wire conduit for it
* Scribed in the oxy-cut edges of the armour plates
* Added 2 pair of Model Kasten links behind exhaust pipes
* Removed moulded on though bevelled kit skirt lugs on last 2 sections on RHS and replaced with Model Kasten ones

Two on the go should well and truly keep me on my toes for the next month I'd say...
Am pretty much calling the build done I think. I'll let the dust settle for a day or so and will work on the other one a bit now, in case I have any last minute brainwaves of things to do to this one after its pretty frantic 2 week build...so appreciate any feedback now if I've missed anything or there are any glaring errors that need attention before the paint hits it...

Mirko and Per have told me about the centre tow pin being on the wrong side but its sadly too glued to change it now. Per also mentioned offline that the shorter travel lock clamp handle I copied from Kubinka's was a Post-war addition they made after breaking the normal one - but again too glued to change. But let me know what else just in case it can still be corrected without too much grief.

Now I've deliberately not put the rear-most tiedowns on, nor puttied up the middle side interlock joins below them, as the rear plate is still unglued. This to allow me to spray it primer separately (ie. without over-spraying the already painted interior through the doors) then close the doors first before gluing it on. This will then hopefully give the plate a logical red primer door outline under the doors when open after the camo is on over the top?

FWIW a quick summary of what kit bits and After-Market were used;
* DML 9036 Late Jagdtiger base kit
* Verlinden VP1045 resin Tiger II Engine Bay
* Tamiya JT spare rubber band tracks & Side Fenders not used on first build
* Fruili ATL-16 Tracks for Spares
* Adlers Nest ANM-35017 Tiger II Track Pins
* Old Anvil Mins resin Mantlet I mastered up many years ago
* Passion Models P35-035 Turned Barrel
* Armorscale K35-007 Ball Mount MG Barrel w.Armoured Sleeve
* Armorscale A35-027 128mm Ammo
* Aber 35A93 Tool Clamp Handles
* Nordland 35056 Tow Cable Eyes w.Eureka Cable
* Karaya TCR02 Track Changing Cable & Eyes
* RB Models 35A02 Turned Aerial
* K59 C009 MG-42 w.Andrea Ammo Belt
* Adlers Nest ANM-35011 Spent 7.92mm MG Cases (for rear deck after paint)
* Plus Models 152 P-E Bucket
* Slaters 1101 1.5mm Styrene Casing No.s
* Royal Models 494 P-E brass small casting No.s
* 40 link/inch model railroad chain (for tow pin)
* Aber 35A16 P-E fine chain (for starter crank guide)
* Model Kasten SK-16 Skirt Mount Lugs from Spare Link Set
* Great Wall L3514 & Tamiya 35186 Jerrycans
* Hudson & Allen 9505 Pine Boughs to weave into the cam net

Anyway here are some pics - RHS (Side fenders only blu-tacked on);

LHS:

Above;

Misc Details;

Might have to go a bit lighter with the cam net now not to bury too much of it...

September 16th, 2011, 9:46 am #25

question for you James, the front plate behind the manlet its a solid cast piece,ie its made in a mold, so would there be torch cuts on this piece... ???????

September 16th, 2011, 11:47 am #26

Cheers Jamie - well spotted indeed. Finally a mistake I can fix easily too

Don't know what I was thinking there, as I wrongly scribed the flame cutting in on that cast plate, completely missed the 2 side ones that did have it, yet did correctly do it on the rear one? The perils of a speed build I guess where you get too close to your own stuff to see obvious things like that? But anyway thanks very much for catching it with a fresh pair of eyes and speaking up. Have just tweaked it now so looking a touch more logical. And Sam has also just spotted a bigger boob again - I'd somehow completely left off the scope guard on the rotating episcope too which I've also just added! Time to up my meds I think... Hopefully thats the last of the bone-headed errors with any luck.

Thanks,
James
Last edited by jim_blackwell on September 16th, 2011, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 17th, 2011, 9:17 am #27

jeez,

Thats some good work on the Jagd James.

Excellent

Gotta go , Beast on desk to get back into ,looking at these images is very motivational .

Thanks

Michael
Last edited by mikewalsh on September 17th, 2011, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.