August 26th, 2011, 8:11 am #11

Subtitle - the descent into madness...

Couldn't help myself and kept on detailing instead of painting... I figured I'd gone way further than I'd originally intended to go, so a few more touches were probably worth it now.

Jon Bailey kindly supplied a fantastic clear shot of Bovington's Porsche JT during British post-war evaluation tests that showed the gunner's sight in situ which allowed me to finish that mystery area properly - beneath where it mates to the supplied half protruding out of the roof;

Next I bit the bullet and decided to do the inner face of the rear wall afterall in case I decided to leave the roof unglued down the track to show off the innards. So cut an infill plate to give the rear plate armour full thickness;

According to Jon's Brit report there were 2 fold down "paddle"-shaped seats for the 2 loaders. As I couldn't find any pics from the 3 surviving museum vehicles of them still fitted I got a little creative and guess-timated them up;

Also decided to ditch the simple light-blocker rear firewall panel I pictured in one of the early posts and do a full height one afterall and detail it up as well;

The 2 parts of the finished rear wall - upper and lower halves positioned together;

As well as with the finished roof and front superstructure plates (now with the final touch of the 5 seams added to the mantlet sealing bag and lead foil gasmask container straps);

The 2 new rear plates now dry fitted;

Overall view;

Back LHS Corner;

Back RHS Corner;

According to Jon's report the British surmised the area to the left of the LHS loader on the side wall (and just below where the aerial pot would have been mounted the rear LHS wall on a command vehicle) was oddly blank and was therefore likely to be where the Company Commander's FuG.5 Befehls radios would be housed if one was fitted out as such and with that second loader most likely doubling as the radio op for them which is what I've gone for based on that info, while also having the extra Abt. CO's set next to him for his extra command net duties;

Close up of back wall with one seat folded up and other down (so as to also be used as a step for crewmen to exit the rear hatch a little more easily);

Finally with the roof on to get the full cluttered effect even without the enormous gun and mount present;

So hopefully after a few more minor touch-ups and additions the airbrush will be finally dusted off at long last...
Hi James,

Nice build and an interesting subject. As far as I know and understand the Befehls version only had one porcelain isolater (compare with Tiger I and II) and on the Jagdtiger it was in the "pot" on the superstructure, I´m sure you have this but if not;

[/IMG]

That means that another one on the engine deck would superfluous in my mind.

As I´ve been doing research on the Jagdtiger the last couple of years, I´m interested in the British evaluation report (you got it from Jon Bailey) - any tips on where he found it - Bovington?

Cheers,

Per Sonnervik,
Sweden

August 27th, 2011, 2:06 am #12

Hi Per - thanks very much for your input and yeah I know I have probably cocked up putting the third one on and gone against the 2 known pics plus all the other boy's advice too, but as I want to do a hypothetical Battalion CO's ride (vs. a Kp. CO's) I've used the TII Befehls that ran 3 as my primary guide. Plus its a bit more visually interesting as a model so I'm happy to live with it being a bit dubious for the sake of a bit of artistic license...

As to Jon's report - just drop him a line to ask for its source which I'm sure he'd be happy to pass on. I know he's spent a vast amount of time in all the British archives over the last 25 odd years so my guess would be probably the PRO (Public Records Office) in Kew? But he only sent me a couple of shots from it and the page talking about the loader's seats so not sure of the file name or number or source.

Regards,
JB

August 27th, 2011, 8:31 am #13

Hi James,

That British report mentioning the seats for the loaders made me have a look at the few photos I have of the rear wall. I´ve never been that much into interior details having my hands full with exterior ones. Anyway the first one is from Bovington in the early 90´s and what I think is the point where the seat is anchored to (see arrow), notice that it´s welded;

[/IMG]

The second is from the Kubinka vehicle (this time it´s bolted);

[/IMG]

I just wished I took more interior photos when I was in Kubinka of the Befehl Tiger I, II and Jagdtiger, now it´s much harder to get inside the vehicles.

Cheers Per

August 28th, 2011, 3:39 pm #14

While I had some of Kubinka's rear wall previously this vital detail was annoyingly just out of frame, and thats the first interior one of Bovington's rear wall I've seen. So both are very helpful and yes I definitely think you are on the money and they are the Loader's seat mount slots - albeit slightly revised from welded to bolted over the production run from Fgst.No.4 of Bovington's Porsche, to No.83 of Kubinka's.

Heres the page from Jon's report on the seats (which I hope he won't mind me posting) which confirms the slot mounts of the paddle shaped seats and gives their specs;

Thanks again for your help.

Regards,

JB

September 4th, 2011, 12:27 am #15

Couldn't help myself and kept on detailing instead of painting... I figured I'd gone way further than I'd originally intended to go, so a few more touches were probably worth it now.

Jon Bailey kindly supplied a fantastic clear shot of Bovington's Porsche JT during British post-war evaluation tests that showed the gunner's sight in situ which allowed me to finish that mystery area properly - beneath where it mates to the supplied half protruding out of the roof;

Next I bit the bullet and decided to do the inner face of the rear wall afterall in case I decided to leave the roof unglued down the track to show off the innards. So cut an infill plate to give the rear plate armour full thickness;

According to Jon's Brit report there were 2 fold down "paddle"-shaped seats for the 2 loaders. As I couldn't find any pics from the 3 surviving museum vehicles of them still fitted I got a little creative and guess-timated them up;

Also decided to ditch the simple light-blocker rear firewall panel I pictured in one of the early posts and do a full height one afterall and detail it up as well;

The 2 parts of the finished rear wall - upper and lower halves positioned together;

As well as with the finished roof and front superstructure plates (now with the final touch of the 5 seams added to the mantlet sealing bag and lead foil gasmask container straps);

Overall view;

Back LHS Corner;

Back RHS Corner;

According to Jon's report the British surmised the area to the left of the LHS loader on the side wall (and just below where the aerial pot would have been mounted the rear LHS wall on a command vehicle) was oddly blank and was therefore likely to be where the Company Commander's FuG.5 Befehls radios would be housed if one was fitted out as such and with that second loader most likely doubling as the radio op for them which is what I've gone for based on that info, while also having the extra Abt. CO's set next to him for his extra command net duties;

Close up of back wall with one seat folded up and other down (so as to also be used as a step for crewmen to exit the rear hatch a little more easily);

Finally with the roof on to get the full cluttered effect even without the enormous gun and mount present;

So hopefully after a few more minor touch-ups and additions the airbrush will be finally dusted off at long last...
Excellent achievement James.

Look forward to seeing some paint on this beast

Michael

September 27th, 2011, 10:13 am #16

Heres the initial progress on mine. I've chosen to depict a bit of an unconfirmed speculator to give me some aristic license - namely the possible mount of the overall Battalion CO Walter Scherf of s.Pz.Jg.Abt.512 in Unna April '45. No photo exists (yet) to my knowledge so I can just use others in the unit as a guide for features, camo & stowage options, as well as incorporate a few touches of my own;

I'd actually sketched a small dio idea for this vehicle a few years ago so will be good to finally make it happen;

Prior to deciding to choose Scherf's for this group build I was initially thinking a 1.Kp. vehicle "X1", "X2" or "X8" of 512 in Iserlohn and had even started the companion truck as it happened a week before we started but realised it would take me 6 months or more to do all the figures so came to my senses early and swapped for something more achievable in the short time we have;

I've thrown a partial through-the-hatch interior in for the R/O and will do the same in the F/C through the back doors;

Kit tracks, RB Barrel and swapped out the mid production kit engine hatch with the molded on AA MG base plate for a later DML one without it to allow the later position of off the hatch to be depicted;

Slaters 1.5mm casting number added to the mantlet to hint at the theorectical Fgst. no. making it vehicle 67 out of the 87?odd made;

Nicely pre-done rifling cut into the RB offering;

Old resin copies of the now long gone Cornerstone tranny and radios used with some styrene rod and sheet to fill in the gaps;

Again a through the hatch quality hatch pivot arm and ballmount MG setup;

Drilled in the missing gun platform/lower hull attachement point rod holes;

And the 6 upper hull ones;

Plus tweaked the rear plate;

Next update will be the Fighting Compartment interior...
Finished off the interior build with a few tweaks and rearrangements in the Fighting Comp. and also ended up adding a Driver's position. His quite complex seat elevation mechanism is the most obvious feature when looking through the hatches so set about knocking it up from some strip and rod.

To do his sprung seat back (which may be visible looking down from behind if the superstructure roof is left unglued) I made up a quick jig to wind the springs from short lengths of brass rod superglued into a flat piece of off-cut of a resin mould plug cut off something at some point - and while I was at it did a 1/16th one as well for "future projects";

I used a lot of Dave Parker's insane 1/16 TII project pics of his forum as refs for the Driver's possie which saved a lot of time (as did my very rough workmanship and general lack of care!);

Tamiya putty cushions...;

...with obligatory arse groove;

Next up added a steering wheel and foot pedals;

Gave the radios a bit of wiring though realised after looking at Dave's I've done mine up in a Panther configuration using the "Panzer's in Samur" with the Panther's one. So this is not a TII/or probably a JT layout with the top one at the front...oh well...

Next knocked up the front hull bulkhead /roof brace;

Coming together;

Finally all the sub-components laid out prior to paint;

And a final interior view;

Next step - der farbe...

September 27th, 2011, 11:29 am #17

Heres the initial progress on mine. I've chosen to depict a bit of an unconfirmed speculator to give me some aristic license - namely the possible mount of the overall Battalion CO Walter Scherf of s.Pz.Jg.Abt.512 in Unna April '45. No photo exists (yet) to my knowledge so I can just use others in the unit as a guide for features, camo & stowage options, as well as incorporate a few touches of my own;

I'd actually sketched a small dio idea for this vehicle a few years ago so will be good to finally make it happen;

Prior to deciding to choose Scherf's for this group build I was initially thinking a 1.Kp. vehicle "X1", "X2" or "X8" of 512 in Iserlohn and had even started the companion truck as it happened a week before we started but realised it would take me 6 months or more to do all the figures so came to my senses early and swapped for something more achievable in the short time we have;

I've thrown a partial through-the-hatch interior in for the R/O and will do the same in the F/C through the back doors;

Kit tracks, RB Barrel and swapped out the mid production kit engine hatch with the molded on AA MG base plate for a later DML one without it to allow the later position of off the hatch to be depicted;

Slaters 1.5mm casting number added to the mantlet to hint at the theorectical Fgst. no. making it vehicle 67 out of the 87?odd made;

Nicely pre-done rifling cut into the RB offering;

Old resin copies of the now long gone Cornerstone tranny and radios used with some styrene rod and sheet to fill in the gaps;

Again a through the hatch quality hatch pivot arm and ballmount MG setup;

Drilled in the missing gun platform/lower hull attachement point rod holes;

And the 6 upper hull ones;

Plus tweaked the rear plate;

Next update will be the Fighting Compartment interior...
Part 2 of the double-header - finally got some colour inside her this week too!

Using Dave's TII pics as a guide and the fact its an 20 vehicle earlier build vehicle than my other one, I've decided to do the red primer below the sponson lines and "elfenbein" ivory above. So first step was Gunze 313 for the ivory in the upper half and on the tops of the sponsons, and a base coat of Tamiya XF-1 Matt Black in the lower half;

Again have gone for the Warhammer/Citadel Terracotta for the red primer;

Starting to pick out the stowage;

F/C Floor;

Sub-assemblies;

Tranny on Driver's side;

Rear Firewall;

Rear Plate - front & back;

One of the shells painted up;

Front S-S Plate with handy Verlinden interior stencil decals;

Tranny again;

Bulkhead;

F/C Roof;

Gunner's Possie;

Radio Op's Possie;

Gyro Power Supply;

Driver's Possie;

F/C Sides;

Front Glacis Plate;

Driver's Seat, foot plate & Drive Brake/Steering Wheel;

Gun Mount;

Plus Models Signal Mag in Driver's Possie Sponson;

Hull floor w.spent cases from R/O's MG;

Tranny in;

Driver's Seat in;

Fighting Comp. floor in;

Rear Firewall in;

Ammo & Rear Command Radio in;

Front Comp;

AP ammo w.retaining rings in rear left fighting compartment;

CO's Command radio & stowage;

Left Side looking forward...;

...& Back;

Gun in;

Mantlet Plate on;

Looking into the now sealed box;

...and finally buttoned up so I can start on the outside like the "normal" people...;

I can feel a time extension coming on...

September 27th, 2011, 10:49 pm #18

Great work James.

Yeah,I like the word time extension.

Michael

September 30th, 2011, 9:33 am #19

Part 2 of the double-header - finally got some colour inside her this week too!

Using Dave's TII pics as a guide and the fact its an 20 vehicle earlier build vehicle than my other one, I've decided to do the red primer below the sponson lines and "elfenbein" ivory above. So first step was Gunze 313 for the ivory in the upper half and on the tops of the sponsons, and a base coat of Tamiya XF-1 Matt Black in the lower half;

Again have gone for the Warhammer/Citadel Terracotta for the red primer;

Starting to pick out the stowage;

F/C Floor;

Sub-assemblies;

Tranny on Driver's side;

Rear Firewall;

Rear Plate - front & back;

One of the shells painted up;

Front S-S Plate with handy Verlinden interior stencil decals;

Tranny again;

Bulkhead;

F/C Roof;

Gunner's Possie;

Radio Op's Possie;

Gyro Power Supply;

Driver's Possie;

F/C Sides;

Front Glacis Plate;

Driver's Seat, foot plate & Drive Brake/Steering Wheel;

Gun Mount;

Plus Models Signal Mag in Driver's Possie Sponson;

Hull floor w.spent cases from R/O's MG;

Tranny in;

Driver's Seat in;

Fighting Comp. floor in;

Rear Firewall in;

Ammo & Rear Command Radio in;

Front Comp;

AP ammo w.retaining rings in rear left fighting compartment;

CO's Command radio & stowage;

Left Side looking forward...;

...& Back;

Gun in;

Mantlet Plate on;

Looking into the now sealed box;

...and finally buttoned up so I can start on the outside like the "normal" people...;

I can feel a time extension coming on...
Thats looking bomber Jimmy.

I thought you were high on Swedish nut bars when I heard you were doing two JT's mit interiors...........but you've pulled it off, and with some old fashion Blackwellian flare.

Looking forward to seeing what you do the outside.

Sheeds.

August 6th, 2014, 12:52 am #20

Overall view;

Back LHS Corner;

Back RHS Corner;

we had done this years ago, without some the technologies today, namely, 6 micron precision 3D print...
will remake this and release as a 50 kit limited quantity offering, or you could call it a superkit, we'll box the tamiya kit and fruiltracks with it.

Here are some photos from the previous mockup.

Sorry for the gravedigging, but there's no more appropriate place to post this