Base

November 20th, 2011, 5:08 pm #1

I cant compete with Jamess wacky E-USA but I thought Id have a shot at a quick base over the weekend which in fact turned out to be just today.

Having thought about this on Friday I looked around work until I found what I was after, a few framed photos left over from our recent refurbishment so I pinched a couple with the best black frames to use as an instant base.
By luck the MiniArt cobble stone section fitted inside perfectly.

I looked in the back shed and found an open tube of Selleys no more gaps. Good sticky stuff I thought that would definitely stick to glass. I smeared it on all over the picture glass then stuck the cobble section down over the top of it. Next a liberal coating of kitty litter as a base job done I thought. But after leaving it in the sun for a few hours the cobble section had warped a bit stupid thing to do but no damage done.
The really interesting thing was the kitty litter had been so absorbent it obviously placed a dust barrier between it and the sticky gloop so none of it stuck!

So back to good old PVA and water which always works. You can grind the kitty stuff to any consistency you like.

The result was much better and the stuff stuck. Ive given it a blast of rattle can sand and will now proceed to clutter up the base a bit with vegetation.

November 26th, 2011, 8:03 am #2

Hi Jon,

That's a nice way of doing a diorama base.Simple effective and quick .

Great effort.Models are coming along well.

Cheers,
Michael

November 28th, 2011, 2:19 pm #3

Hi Michael,

Mate still plugging away, how about some shots of your great Nashorn? Nice base there.

Ive put on some more ground work on and made a little fence. Time to seal it and put down some grass.

December 11th, 2011, 7:05 am #4

Hi Jon,

Very nice work .
I've got these trees as well and you have done very well to compose the tree as a separate part of the dio.
I mean that its one of the first point of reference when you view the dio base .

Thanks for the kind words on the nashorn .

There is only a couple of images of the base which I can show over on the build log I did for the Nashorn here
http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j170/ ... 1QQtppZZ24

Keep us posted on your work.

Thanks

Michael