WIP level -Sunken City of Atlantis

Laslunder

July 27th, 2011, 3:56 am #1

Ok well to start,I introduce the sunken city of atlantis. Mostly finished, all that is left is a stairs edit tweak in i believe room 7 to the left staircase. Also their is a supposed to be hidden item in one room but do to the fact i'm not sure how exactly to put it in it will look akward. Maybe obreck could add some code to random tiles so the secrets are not spotted easily. You'll know what i mean once you see a fountain with a waterfall flowing from it. Also it took me several attempts to edit certain parts of this level to get it up to par. I was not willing to leave well enough alone if you know what i mean. Also this level will install pain in your mind after you die several times. I should write a warning label WARNING: You may find yourself pulling your hair out. The level is not easy, not at all. Doable just not easy. Fortunate for you i put up a video that shows an easy way through it, i probably shoudnt' have. But at least this will give you a good idea of what the level will be like. I intentionally had some waterfalls put behind and infront of the player this way it looks like the player is in the level not at the edge of one side of it. You may notice that in some rooms it goes black temporarily. It has to do with foregrounds. Apparently if your player starts in a room's view of a foreground this happens. I don't know how to fix that. I'm hoping obreck will figure that out. I did realize that instead of making some things like a bridge a foreground, i could make it an object in the game. This may make the 1 second blackscreen glitch not happen. I don't know but also if i add objects it will cluster up the size of the game so keep that in mind people. Oh i forgot to mention no sound once again from my pc. BUt in actuality there is sound ingame of course. Also on a few last notes the mid boss and boss are mere placeholders. They are not gonna be used here so don't be worried about that. Obreck plans to put in 2 new ones for this stage. Although they will have to be coded to shift the view left cause these bosses shift back to the right which is not supposed to happen. Thus it looks weird and if coded to shift left everything would be normal. Also one last thing the rooms with fake doors that you move through are supposed to have real moving left doors that move you through the room to the left. Obreck still has to code that in too. So when the time comes the fake doors will be replaced with the real ones to move the player left. Well with all that being said. I leave you with a darn near finished Sunken City of Atlantis!!

[utube][/utube]

TheomanZero

July 27th, 2011, 4:24 am #2

Good-looking level. It seems pretty full and challenging, with a lot of platforming (definitely not a Sypha level). For a level this long, I think there should be a few more non-heart items in the candles (sub-weapons, rosaries, Double/Triple shots, invincibility, maybe even an extra life?).
By the way, is every level going to have slight changes to the layout depending on the difficulty, like the level in the demo?

Laslunder

July 27th, 2011, 4:43 pm #3

Cool that you like it. I spent many hrs on it. Thanks! I kinda think yeah maybe i could take a few candles out barring what they are and what they do. I'm not exaclty sure how the hearts candles work. I think after you get a big one and like 4 smalls then you get the upgrade. So yeah maybe i could take out a couple big ones here or there. Ah i made sure not to put a weapon in every room just in like every 2 rooms. This way it will not be too weapon clustered. Yeah when i realized you can max out on hearts that doesn't make much sense huh? Well maybe if your right at the end perhaps. BUt difficutly wise it is right up there with the swamp stage or aquaducts. Not easy really at all. You have a better chance for success taking the route in the level i did(shortcuts). Some of this can be done only with alucard though. It's funny that you mentioned sypha. Cause i also beat it with her and trevor. Not with gratn and trevor. I think sypha would do ok(though harder than with alucard). Trevor seems fine in this level but you have to be patient with him. With grant all i can say is good luck. He is far too weak to be able to get through it alone. You'll almost indefeintly have to mostly use trevor with him. Not only that. I think there's only a couple of spots alucard and grant can reach so if use grant i'd only use him on an as needed basis in this level unless you wanna get your *ss handed to by the monsters. Oh and as for the level i'm not quite sure what you mean. I was told this level is too be made mostly custom. So i did so. Towards the end the 3rd from last room is literally 2 rooms in nes cv3 atlantis meshed into 1 room. All the block tiles you step on are pretty dead on(not the scenery of course). Also the area where you fight the boss is exactly the same too. Past that i'm not sure what obreck wants for the level. I can say this time i set it up so that he has miinimal coding to do in the level. Just take the fake doors out and replace them with real left shifting coded doors. Same with the bosses. Past that i think you may come across the rooms in easy modes and not see anything. Just keep going through it. Will the rooms dissapear. I don't know. I think they'd be there unless their was an object coded telling that room to make the boss area dissapear on say, easy mode or something. Honestly i don't know what obreck wants so the sooner i can contact him and give him this is the sooner he can prepare another demo. I still have one more choir to do. So i plan on getting on that reall soon. Probably by tommorow. Say if anyone sees obreck on this site tell him to pm me or contact me via email. Ok dudes later!
Last edited by Laslunder on July 27th, 2011, 5:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

reiko26

July 27th, 2011, 5:19 pm #4

the stage is very nice looking. looks to be very competetive too. seems to be a little easy with alucard.

Laslunder

July 27th, 2011, 5:36 pm #5

Eh. Well there's little i can do along the ways of making it harder for alucard. He can fly pretty much anywhere. But either way if your not careful you can still die with him like say getting hit with medusa heads over a pit. Your pretty much screwed at that point. However one distinct advantage i find alucard has over everyone else is the fact if he's over a pit and is gonna fall to his death he can do a bat transform. This is cool imo cause you can save yourself from death. I gotta say though it's seems a handicap it can come in handy on stages like this. Grant seriously suffers the most on this. Doable with trevor and sypha it's a tad harder than with alucard. Sypha's weaponry imo is awesome but in the nes version i remeber it being even more powerful than in this game. I thinke her powers were the strongest in the game. Stronger than alucards' sword or trevor's whip. Grant i really like his additions cause in the nes version he's too weak and were as he's weak here at least he has more of a fighting chance. I don't ever remeber beating nes cv3 with grant. Way too hard imo. Sypha,trevor and alucard i did it with. Sypha was by far the easiest depending on what special weapon you have. Either way i gotta hand it to obreck i really like what he's done to the players in the game. My only concern is that sypha's powers probably could be a tad stronger against some enemies or bosses that's about it. You know it's off the subject but what might be kinda cool for sypha is a short transport burst. Another words you hit a button like the equivalent to alucard's bat morph in mid air and she transports to another platform(kinda like zelda in smash bros brawl). I think this would be good for her imo cause then 2 players could save themselves from pitfalls instead of just alucard. It's omly a suggestions. But i think maybe a combo with the clock watch and her being able to do this would be cool.

Laslunder

July 27th, 2011, 6:43 pm #6

Sorry for the double post. But eh Reiko makes a good point. The purple background needs to be changed to blue. My original intent was for it to be water but i forgot entirely to change it. So i've done so all the backdrops with purple will now be blue exepct the sun area and mountains that'll stay the same. He also brought up another point which hits quite nicely and i dont' know how i missed it. In scv4 for the snes. Theirs a level that has columns and greek/roman buildings i totally missed this apparently. I will recolorize and add them into certain aspects of the level to give it a more atlantis type feel. My bad 2 big misses. Now it'll really feel atlantis like. Maybe i'll even repost a new video. I still got a tad bit of enhancing to do. So i'll get to work on it.

EvilMariobot
Veteran Member

July 28th, 2011, 1:20 am #7

When you do make a new video, try adding in some music in whatever video editing software you use. Otherwise, this level looks good; in a long and difficult sort of way.
Last edited by EvilMariobot on July 28th, 2011, 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Laslunder

July 28th, 2011, 4:06 am #8

Um well the problem is my pc not so much the program. I'm not actually sure what i did in the mad forest vid to make it have sound if i find out then i'll add it or maybe i'll just add imbed music or something. Sorry if i don't figure it out. Either way i'm reworking the level. That it is a Work in progress. I added some of those scv4 background pillars and some trees in corner areas giving it a much more atlantis feel. If you've seen teh blood fountain it looks cool but Reiko made a good point of perhaps saving that for say dracula's level or deathn's or something. Besides it drops below where ther really it sorta comes out as regular water. It doesn't exactly make sense i'm just glad no one caught on to that. Eitehr way i may just turn it all blue. But that means i'll have to edit the fountain blue aswell. That could be a little bit of a process to get the right colors. I can't just colorize. I will probably have to manually edit all the colors. Either way i'll probably get to that tommorow.

EvilMariobot
Veteran Member

July 29th, 2011, 12:25 am #9

If you have Windows Movie Maker, you can edit music in there if it's in a format that it can recognize (mp3 for instance).

Laslunder

July 29th, 2011, 3:58 am #10

Um ok i've never messed around with it. Well if i can figure it out that's cool or maybe i'll just post some newer screenshtos. That's easy enough. Besides EvilMarioRobot the music is mad forest music. I don't know how to put a song and use the music ini file correctly. Only obreck nows about it. Either way i keep regurgetating the same song throughout all the new levels i buiit. When he gets the engine i'm sure he'll change it to what he wants'. Plus someone mentioned something about the candles i got in the level. Well i put a bunch in that i thought would be good in certain areas. Perhaps too much in certain areas. It's hard to tell what is good where sometimes. SO if mike wants to change that he's more than welcome. I don't mind. Well honestly i changed teh fountain to water and made teh fountian you see in the video blue with a gold top like it already is. Reiko makes a good point about me originally having a blood fountain. Maybe i could save that for later like a fountain in Drac's castle somewhere. That'd be cool huh? I added soem more nice back drops. Fixed up a bunch of sloppy areas too. So far there's not much more i can do to improve it. So i think at this point it's pretty done. Minus the foreground blackscreen issue it's good to go. I have to talk to obrevck about that cause if he can't add code to fix the problem then i cant insert objects instead of foregrounds. They'll just have to appear infront of the player which i believe i increase the depth of the obj. So with that being said it's pretty much a done deal. Oh wait what's this it's mike's B-Day. Happy B-Day dude. Well i can upload it whenver. Probably put it in is pm box or give him the link at his email. I'll look into windows movie maker.
Last edited by Laslunder on July 29th, 2011, 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.