TheomanZero

July 29th, 2011, 4:40 am #11

This may be none of my business Laslunder, but it would be easier to read your posts if you broke them up into paragraphs.

Laslunder

July 29th, 2011, 5:06 am #12

Yeah i have a tendacy to cluster a bunch of ideas. I'll try and take note on that. Well for now at least i've pm'd mike so i guess he gets the update when he's on. As for the video well i got somethings to take care of tommorow if i can get to it than i'll post it up(hopefully with at least an mp3 playing)

Nadoovi
Greenhorn

July 29th, 2011, 11:32 am #13

The stage is good, generally. But there are some things that bother me.

First of all, the sunset background. You used this background for all over the stage. I love the sunset background, I think it is beautiful, but you used this background too much. Remember the Bloodlines stage of Atlantis? There are about four different backgrounds in this stage. And the sunset is used only in the beginning.
I think you should use more backgrounds for this stage.
Also, the forest tiles that appears in the beginning of the stage, doesn't look good. It doesn't feet together with the stage. It makes the stage looks scattered and comfusing. Too many details in the background.
I don't like the enemy selection in this stage. I think some enemies don't fit the Atlantis stage. Ghosts, bats and skeletons should be replaced by skeledragons, bone scimitars, ravens and water skulls (from Rondo of Blood).

But again, the stage itself is good. The level design and the graphic is great.
I think the mid boss should be the water megician from bloodlines or serpent, and the boss should be bone dragon king (or Skeleton dragon from Chronicles).
About the music....it should be a peaceful track. Like Wandering the crystal blue, or The hidden curse.

WhiteRoseBrian

July 29th, 2011, 12:07 pm #14

This might work too.

[utube][/utube]
Come see my drawings on DeviantArt
http://whiterosebrian.deviantart.com/

"Love to throw yourself on the earth and kiss it...Love all men, love everything...Don't be ashamed of that ecstacy, prize it, for it is a gift of God and a great one; it is not given to many, but only to the elect."
--Zosima, Brothers Karamazov

Laslunder

July 29th, 2011, 3:57 pm #15

Well honestly i'm thinking this. THe genesis stage that hosted all these backgrounds, well out of all of them it came down to 2 good ones. The one i used and a pirate ship background. The pirate ship didnt quite make sense. But i suppose if the level comes after the pirate ship maybe you would see it in the background.

Their was one decent night time background. But how would the transition be from sunset to night time. Look where the sun is in the background. I suppose i could go back and give it a try making some later stages have the night time feel to them. Past that all those genesis backgrounds for that level pretty much suck.

So i may even look else where for some good backgrounds. Well not all of the stage props came from the genisis game. Which i player. I wasn't amped on some of it's stages i'll tell you. Sotn/scv4/rondo have much better backgrounds, stage props. Either way the tileset imo was pretty good. Obreck hinted to use that tileset from the greek area in bloodlines. I thought it fit the them quite nicely too. Oh and the forestry well that's totally needed dude. ALl but perhaps teh background imo i could see making a swithc at. Do you even know how long it took to make waterfalls that go in front of the player. Man this was like countless hrs.

I do admit if i can improve it i will. But past the background changes i don't really plan on reworking the whole stage.I kinda keep checking areas and they seem pretty sunken atlantis to me. I even added those pillar backgrounds from scv4. Well either way it's sorta the vision i had. I hope when all is said and done it's up too par for you guys. One thing is certain this level is mostly a custom level.

Anotherwords it doesn't exactly follow the nes version to a t. It was intended that it be custom mostly anyway. As for bosses, i don't know that's not up for me to decide.
OH and one last thing is, the video is not the final version. At least not anymore. I've went back and rechanged alot of stuff so the scv4 pillars aren't even in the video. Though they defienlty make it look more atlantis!
Last edited by Laslunder on July 29th, 2011, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reiko26

July 29th, 2011, 4:29 pm #16

Nadoovi wrote:The stage is good, generally. But there are some things that bother me.

First of all, the sunset background. You used this background for all over the stage. I love the sunset background, I think it is beautiful, but you used this background too much. Remember the Bloodlines stage of Atlantis? There are about four different backgrounds in this stage. And the sunset is used only in the beginning.
I think you should use more backgrounds for this stage.
Also, the forest tiles that appears in the beginning of the stage, doesn't look good. It doesn't feet together with the stage. It makes the stage looks scattered and comfusing. Too many details in the background.
I don't like the enemy selection in this stage. I think some enemies don't fit the Atlantis stage. Ghosts, bats and skeletons should be replaced by skeledragons, bone scimitars, ravens and water skulls (from Rondo of Blood).

But again, the stage itself is good. The level design and the graphic is great.
I think the mid boss should be the water megician from bloodlines or serpent, and the boss should be bone dragon king (or Skeleton dragon from Chronicles).
About the music....it should be a peaceful track. Like Wandering the crystal blue, or The hidden curse.
I agree that the stage is Good and that nadoovi may have a point about the background of sunset being recylcled through the stage. I dont know why i didnt catch that from the begining.

There are multiple backgrounds on the atlantis stage in bloodline. but i wouldnt recommend using those other backgrounds from the game. Hey Las, do you remember the dark atlantis ruins prop i sent you? Maybe that could work for you too. as for the last boss battle, It should be a closed in invironment instead of seeing the background. remember i suggested that to you?

as for the enemies for the stage. i like the skeletons but having skeledragons would make sense and maybe some water skulls where the fountain is.

I can do some pallete swapping for fishman too or make up something extra for the level, like a new creature.

Laslunder

July 29th, 2011, 4:51 pm #17

Yes i agree maybe i can cahnge some backgrounds. The last area with the boss could use maybe a waterfall,trees soemthing i don't know. But either way i totally agree on the skeletondragons whatevr those things are. I wanted to put them in certain doorway areas. But obreck only coded them to go right to left. If he codes them left to right in other words them point there heads to the right. THen i'll be good and can add them in. All this is up to him. So when atlantis is finally tweaked, hopefully to perfection, We can finally get some enemies in that level that belong there. Most of them i sorta like but to replace say a skelton or a bat with a skeletondragon is a hugh deal i agree.

Shodian

August 2nd, 2011, 12:48 am #18

Shodian's guide to adding music to Super Castlevania III

Step 1:

Add desired music to the "music" folder

Step 2:

Open up the scv3music.ini file. Copy the following and put in the folder above where it says [Debug]

[level name]
volume = 100
song = name of file, including the file type, i.e. music.mp3
driver = file type, i.e. mp3, mid, etc.

With the []'s put in between the name of your level. Note: Shortened names are better

So for example the level I made "Rising Towers" I put the following:

Code: Select all

[Tower]
volume = 100
song = Rising.mp3
driver = mp3
then save the file

Following so far?

Step 3:

in each room you will see the following object: obj_musicplayer

Find that object, then while holding the "CTRL" key, left click on said object and click Creation code

You should see a line like the follwing:

Code: Select all

scr_musicini("Tower",true,false,0)
See where I'm getting at?

Replace whatever is in between the "" 's with the name you gave your level, the one found in the ini file I told you to edit.

Now one last thing, the first true tells the game if it starts that music in that room, leave it "true" for the first room, "false" for the others.

Step 4:

Listen to your badass new track in your level and enjoy. :ttgl:

Laslunder

August 2nd, 2011, 3:03 pm #19

Holy crap! Shodian, thanks dude! Yeah i was seriously having trouble figuring that out. I'm heading to 6 flags today so i can't stay to chat. BUt i may be back later tongiht. Either way the biggest issue i was having with an mp3 and i talked to obreck on it was about the numbers at the very bottom(looping numbers). Yeah the looping numbers i couldn't quite figure out. I apologize if i skim read over this but any suggestions? I'm really in a rush right now so i gotta leave in 10.

But say are you back on the tower level. Cause obreck wasn't sure your status and he asked me if i'd like to help you on it. I'm already doing atlantis though and even though i sent him a file, i'm probably gonna take it down cause i'm still retweaking things. Atlantis will be pretty sweet when done. The tower level looked pretty awesome too dude. Well eitehr way let me know what teh deal is. IF you are or aren't gonna be on the finishing of the tower stage. IF you are i may be able to move onto another level.

Oh one thing to mention game maker as of right now doesn't like foregrounds to start in teh same roome as your player. The screen turns black for some strange reason for a split sec. Ok Shodian and company i'll talk to you guys later

Laslunder

August 5th, 2011, 8:13 pm #20

Ok so i've come really far since that video i posted and though i can't seem to get a good quality video i am gonna temporarily post some pics of what it looks like. Overall i can say there may still be some slight changes i'd like to rework. But probably not to much. I remade another background pretty much the same as the old background but this one has the sun setting on the lake behind it(as shown in photo 2). I may even add a night time one. I'ts possible. THough i must admit keeping the backgrounds similar in this level seem very doable almost a must. With some good ideas from Reiko i was able to make put in some cool background walls and add some waterfall sprouts for the angel statues or whatever they are. Also the boss room is touched up a bit more with a cool ass fountain where you'd fight him once he's coded in(also pic 2). Here's some update pics:

Not to mention Shodian's music tutorial worked like a charm! As an mp3 possible i have in the aquarius mp3 by the goat band. I really dig that one. Either way there's about 4 different versions of the song and probably others to choose from like:circle of the moon,dawn of sorrow, and harmony of despair. Harmony of despair's aquarius is a pretty cool version too!

Last edited by Laslunder on August 5th, 2011, 8:30 pm, edited 7 times in total.