Zimmerited KT's in Winter Wash?

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Zimmerited KT's in Winter Wash?

October 19th, 2011, 3:37 pm #1

I know a white washed KT is pretty rare but I know there were a few just don't have a pic of any with zimmerit that i can find. Anyone point me to a good reference or some pics or am i looking for something that i won't find?

October 19th, 2011, 4:26 pm #2

Although it could just be the light it might be a whitewash vehicle
[/IMG]
The only other one with Zim that comes to mind is the Porsche turret one on the Eastern front named 'Anneliese'
It's a good question though and i'll look for some more, Dave.

October 19th, 2011, 8:18 pm #3

that looks like a white wash based on the barrel but it's impossible to say for sure. i've seen a handful of winter finish KT's but none have zimmerit.... anyone else know anything about this one?

October 19th, 2011, 9:46 pm #4

I know a white washed KT is pretty rare but I know there were a few just don't have a pic of any with zimmerit that i can find. Anyone point me to a good reference or some pics or am i looking for something that i won't find?
I know this is a long shot but one of the tanks in the background looks to be white so we could be looking at traces of white or traces of the base yellow. Or light snow or frost, but there must be other shots of this Tiger. Again it's hard to tell. Dave.
[/IMG]
Last edited by davecoyne300 on October 19th, 2011, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 19th, 2011, 9:55 pm #5

Pretty sure there is a good side shot of whitewashed zimmed Henschel tank in the Trojca Tiger II book Vol 2.

HTH,

Mike

"Buddy the Elf, what's your favorite color?."

October 20th, 2011, 12:54 am #6

I know this is a long shot but one of the tanks in the background looks to be white so we could be looking at traces of white or traces of the base yellow. Or light snow or frost, but there must be other shots of this Tiger. Again it's hard to tell. Dave.
[/IMG]
i may be wrong but i always thought that was burned....

October 21st, 2011, 3:54 pm #7

that looks like a white wash based on the barrel but it's impossible to say for sure. i've seen a handful of winter finish KT's but none have zimmerit.... anyone else know anything about this one?
"....anyone else know anything about this one?"

Hi,
On the full image there's 2 KT's. The image is usually captioned as 2 abandoned/knocked-out(?) Tiger's of the s.Pz.Abt.505, East Prussia, '45.
Which I imagine is correct, though there's no identifiable turret numbers.
To my eye, the nearest KT in the image does look as though it's had a whitewash at sometime:

[/IMG]

The only other zimmed, possibly whitewashed, production turret KT image I know is this wreck.
Also sometimes captioned ****.Pz.Abt.505, East Prussia, '45, though I wouldn't really though?
It is zimmed though most of it is missing and looking at the spare track links, mantlet and other parts, they do look rather white?

[/IMG]

I suppose, because of the lack of images, you could make an 'educated assumption' to do a zimmed, whitewashed production turret KT?
Using production/delivery dates combined with combat locations and dates, the KT's of s.Pz.Abt.505 would be a good candidate.
Also, as mentioned above, there are images of the whitewashed 'Porsche' turreted KT '314' in Hungary. As this KT belongs to the s.Pz.Abt.503 we could assume others of the 503 were also whitewashed?
As Trumpeter did with there 1/16th KT box art; zimmed, whitewashed '131' of the s.Pz.Abt.503:
(maybe there is an image that Trumpeter based this box art on? I've not seen one)

[/IMG]

Grant.