Young Miniatures' DAK Bust

The Figures discussion group is hosted by Mark Bannerman and is dedicated to modelling military figures of any scale and era.

Young Miniatures' DAK Bust

September 16th, 2010, 6:54 am #1

Guys
Usual good quality from Young Miniatures and I enjoyed painting this commissioned piece. The headphone band is a brittle part and best heated to shape before attempting to place it on. YM labeled this as an officer but a quick look at the shoulder boards tells me that this is a Feldwebel (Sgt 1st Class). An error on the box?

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Cheers
Patrick

September 16th, 2010, 9:22 am #2

Congratulations on such an exceptional figure. The softness in the lights and shadows of the face and uniform, are insurmountable.

Congratulations again.

September 16th, 2010, 4:20 pm #3

Guys
Usual good quality from Young Miniatures and I enjoyed painting this commissioned piece. The headphone band is a brittle part and best heated to shape before attempting to place it on. YM labeled this as an officer but a quick look at the shoulder boards tells me that this is a Feldwebel (Sgt 1st Class). An error on the box?

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Cheers
Patrick
Hello Patrick,

I think like Benito to the face. I think it's best, you got something as very real.
Could you tell me colors used and a small explanation of the method you use ... (Forgive the hassle).

Regards,
Fernando Sancho.

September 16th, 2010, 4:49 pm #4

Congratulations on such an exceptional figure. The softness in the lights and shadows of the face and uniform, are insurmountable.

Congratulations again.
Cheers
Patrick

September 16th, 2010, 4:59 pm #5

Hello Patrick,

I think like Benito to the face. I think it's best, you got something as very real.
Could you tell me colors used and a small explanation of the method you use ... (Forgive the hassle).

Regards,
Fernando Sancho.
Thanks Fernando. For flesh tones I use oils. I mix the different brands I have and they are basically brown, yellow, red, blue and white. Oils are easier to blend than acrylics but unlike the latter oils are more translucent so the final results starts from planning the base color which I painted with acrylics to give the surface more 'bite' for the oils. Can't give you a short how-to as there are lots learned from practise, paint consistency, down to how you tilt the subject during painting and the brush strokes.

Cheers
Patrick

September 17th, 2010, 3:36 am #6

Guys

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Cheers
Patrick
Very nice painting job
and effective photography!

He who dies with the most toys wins!

September 17th, 2010, 6:48 am #7

Thanks Fernando. For flesh tones I use oils. I mix the different brands I have and they are basically brown, yellow, red, blue and white. Oils are easier to blend than acrylics but unlike the latter oils are more translucent so the final results starts from planning the base color which I painted with acrylics to give the surface more 'bite' for the oils. Can't give you a short how-to as there are lots learned from practise, paint consistency, down to how you tilt the subject during painting and the brush strokes.

Cheers
Patrick
Hello Patrick,

Indeed paint should be done decently and paint well or very well also need to practice more.

I have only 8 months experience and something I've learned, but I do a lot to learn ....

I only use acrylics and I have never used oils. It amazes me to see your results with the oils. Know of a good reference for handling oils?.

I would like to see step by step how to paint faces, I feel very, very real and attractive.

Thank you very much and regards,
Fernando Sancho.

September 17th, 2010, 7:49 am #8

Keep at it Fernanado. Practise. I have never come across tutotials about using oils. I learned from trail and error. Perhaps its use is not a major part in scale modeling and only mentioned in passing with no in depth discussion. Can anyone help or show where to find such tutorials?

On another note some artistic know how does help in painting figures. I used to freelance illustrating children's storybooks using watercolor and have been sketching figures (superheroes and cowboys as a kid). I've known of friends who bought figure painting books but their expectations still fall short. I own only one book (written by Shep Paine). The authors may lay down the basics and some tricks of the trade but the rest is still up to the artist within you. Unlike armor or aircraft building where there is a somewhat fixed method (pre and post shading, making streaks, dry brushing etc), painting figures is different. Using the basics I explained to you earlier, just keep on practising. Dare to make mistakes. This helps you learn. After six years I'm still learning.

Rots or Ruck
Patrick

September 17th, 2010, 8:15 am #9

Very nice painting job
and effective photography!

He who dies with the most toys wins!
Still learning both painting and photography.

Cheers
Patrick

September 17th, 2010, 11:09 am #10

Keep at it Fernanado. Practise. I have never come across tutotials about using oils. I learned from trail and error. Perhaps its use is not a major part in scale modeling and only mentioned in passing with no in depth discussion. Can anyone help or show where to find such tutorials?

On another note some artistic know how does help in painting figures. I used to freelance illustrating children's storybooks using watercolor and have been sketching figures (superheroes and cowboys as a kid). I've known of friends who bought figure painting books but their expectations still fall short. I own only one book (written by Shep Paine). The authors may lay down the basics and some tricks of the trade but the rest is still up to the artist within you. Unlike armor or aircraft building where there is a somewhat fixed method (pre and post shading, making streaks, dry brushing etc), painting figures is different. Using the basics I explained to you earlier, just keep on practising. Dare to make mistakes. This helps you learn. After six years I'm still learning.

Rots or Ruck
Patrick
Hi Patrick,

Thank you very much for your comments..

Regards,
Fernando Sancho.