You lucky people...

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

You lucky people...

April 4th, 2014, 12:35 pm #1

Hi Folks,

In the words of the late Tommy Trinder - 'You lucky people....' - Dan Taylor has kindly offered to sponsor a competition to mark the 70th Anniversary of D-Day. The theme of the competition is 'Build up to D-Day' and it will run until June 5th, with voting taking place from June 6th. The prize? Dan has very kindly offered one of his Typ 667 bunkers with 5cm Fest Pak L60, very nice indeed. So the competition will begin on Thursday 10th and run for the next 9 weeks.

Now the rules of engagement are that the entry should be a vignette (this means there has to be a vehicle or fortification PLUS at least one figure) of preparations prior to D-Day by either side (Allied/Axis), to quote Dan...'It could include models from either side doing anything from preparing vehicles, to building fortifications to digging trenches to loading landing craft or C47s...', so there is plenty of scope there. There is no stipulation for including a build log, but I think a few progress shots and the final model will be a requirement, but if you want to do that I am sure we would all enjoy seeing how you went about the creation of the piece, also, projects that are already started are welcome. I will post weekly update threads with a gallery at the end and the final winner will be decided by popular vote again.

I hope you can support this competition really well, it should be fun and there is an enormous amount of scope for you to work on. I know the time scale is tight, but it will be worth it in the end I am sure.

Look out for the opening thread on Thursday next week and NOW is the time to get cracking if you want to enter.

All the best,

Paul
Last edited by PAUL GILES on April 4th, 2014, 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

We certainly are!

April 4th, 2014, 1:23 pm #2

That sounds tempting Paul, and thanks to Dan for the theme and prize - not that I anticipate being a contender!

Cheers

David
David Clark
Bellarine Peninsula, Victoria, Australia

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be - Simone Signoret

Lucky us

April 4th, 2014, 2:01 pm #3

Hi Folks,

In the words of the late Tommy Trinder - 'You lucky people....' - Dan Taylor has kindly offered to sponsor a competition to mark the 70th Anniversary of D-Day. The theme of the competition is 'Build up to D-Day' and it will run until June 5th, with voting taking place from June 6th. The prize? Dan has very kindly offered one of his Typ 667 bunkers with 5cm Fest Pak L60, very nice indeed. So the competition will begin on Thursday 10th and run for the next 9 weeks.

Now the rules of engagement are that the entry should be a vignette (this means there has to be a vehicle or fortification PLUS at least one figure) of preparations prior to D-Day by either side (Allied/Axis), to quote Dan...'It could include models from either side doing anything from preparing vehicles, to building fortifications to digging trenches to loading landing craft or C47s...', so there is plenty of scope there. There is no stipulation for including a build log, but I think a few progress shots and the final model will be a requirement, but if you want to do that I am sure we would all enjoy seeing how you went about the creation of the piece, also, projects that are already started are welcome. I will post weekly update threads with a gallery at the end and the final winner will be decided by popular vote again.

I hope you can support this competition really well, it should be fun and there is an enormous amount of scope for you to work on. I know the time scale is tight, but it will be worth it in the end I am sure.

Look out for the opening thread on Thursday next week and NOW is the time to get cracking if you want to enter.

All the best,

Paul
But 9 weeks to build a model? at my current speed 9 months is more accurate. But this I will not miss.

Thanks Paul

April 4th, 2014, 2:39 pm #4

Hi Folks,

All the best,

Paul
& Dan,

David my words exactly!

I've always thought post D-Day for all my model plans!

I'm sure I'll come up with something ....

Cheers Elliott

'You gotta be in it to win it...'

April 4th, 2014, 3:40 pm #5

That sounds tempting Paul, and thanks to Dan for the theme and prize - not that I anticipate being a contender!

Cheers

David
Hi David,

... as the slogan for the National Lottery goes. However I think that this competition will be good fun and everyone should get something from it - if not a prize some good feedback. To take another quote '...it's the taking part that matters...' look forward to seeing you enter.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

Re: Lucky us

April 4th, 2014, 3:42 pm #6

But 9 weeks to build a model? at my current speed 9 months is more accurate. But this I will not miss.
Hi Filipe,

If this is a success I suppose that competitions will become a regular feature with more manufacturers offering to sponsor them, which will be nice. I am sure you will be able to get something done, look forward to seeing your entry.

All the best,

Paul
― Douglas MacArthur

I am sure you will find a subject...

April 4th, 2014, 3:45 pm #7

& Dan,

David my words exactly!

I've always thought post D-Day for all my model plans!

I'm sure I'll come up with something ....

Cheers Elliott
Hi Elliott,

I am convinced you must have something lurking in your stash or something languishing on the shelves, 'two birds with one stone' if you can finish a 'Shelf Queen' and enter it in the competition . Look forward to seeing what you get up to.

All the best,

Paul
― Douglas MacArthur

Edu

I'll do my best...

April 4th, 2014, 3:54 pm #8

Hi Folks,

All the best,

Paul
in gathering some pieces and make a vignette.

Well, in fact I'm thinking in something bigger, more like a Dio. Is there any restriction in size ? (vignette word usually associated to small dios).

I'm not very good in scenery, but I'll try it.

Will there be a kind of "previously inscribed official participant record" or a last minute entry will also be valid?

Thank you Dan (and Paul) for promoting Braille Scale !!

Re: I'll do my best...

April 4th, 2014, 4:09 pm #9

Hi Eduard,

I am sure you will and I look forward to seeing what it is you are thinking of doing. There is not a specific requirement to produce lots of WIP logs or photos, but I think a general requirement of a few progress photos and (of course) a final group of photos of the finished item for the gallery. The cut off date is 5th June and voting is on the anniversary of D-Day itself, I think a week to collate all the votes will be sufficient and then the results will be announced.

All the best,

Paul
Last edited by PAUL GILES on April 4th, 2014, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
― Douglas MacArthur

Excellent idea Dan.

April 4th, 2014, 5:21 pm #10

Hi Folks,

All the best,

Paul
What a kind offer from Dan. A great initiative not that I need one to build something D-Day related..I'm looking forward to some cool builds. I've already got my idea: The Vine Hotel, Goudhurst

(image for discussion)
Jaymes
Last edited by JimJam6981 on April 4th, 2014, 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.