WWI USA tanker help!

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

WWI USA tanker help!

September 11th, 2005, 3:59 am #1

Companeros,
I need your help. I have only 1 pic (drawing actually) of a WWI USA tanker.
I really neeed to find a good pic of the tanker helmet used by the Americans.

thanks
francisco

September 12th, 2005, 3:26 am #2

The US didn't have it's own tanker's helmet. We were barely able get the infantry tin pot off the factory lines before the war ended.

Instead, our tankers were issued specialty gear by the country that provided the armoured weapon systems.

They were issued either the French helmet for unit's equipped with the Renaults, or the British version for those units equipped with the British MkV Rhomboids.

The British crash helmet was a riveted leather contraption that looks rather like a Medieval Sallet. It wasn't well liked and was withdrawn because it was thought to look too much like the German "Coal Scuttle". Basically, Brits and US crews of the Rhomboid tanks wore the Brodey helmet, if any at all. They were provided with protective chain mail mask/goggles, however.

The French version was the Adrian Artillery Special helmet. It was basically the Infantry helmet with the rim cropped off.

Photos of American troops show them primarily wearing their overseas caps inside the Renault, as space was at a premium.

hth,
mike

September 12th, 2005, 6:38 pm #3

Mike,
Here are two pics showing the head-gear I am refering to. Theres just not enough detail.

September 13th, 2005, 2:02 am #4

Good Question. It isn't Army issue.

It could some sort of Aviator's crash helmet....or a civilian sport helmet.

I've always thought the tank commander bears a remarkable resemblance to LTC George Patton, who had a penchant for designing equipment and uniform items. This could be his solution for tanker head protection.

I'm not aware of a surviving Museum example, nor of any other photos of this particular headgear, at least in Tank Service.

You might want to comb through the photo files of those wingy things and gas filled bags. That would seem to be a logical acquisition source for a purpose made crash helmet.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

mike

September 13th, 2005, 7:25 am #5

Mike,
Thanks for the info.I though the same thing about the pic,it does look a lot like Patton.

Thanks
francisco

September 13th, 2005, 7:23 pm #6

Francisco,

Charles Lemons, the curator of the Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armor is a regular contributor to the AFV News Discussion Board.

He has access to a lot more material about the early US tank formations than any other source that I know of and willingly shares his knowledge.

You might try posting your question with the photos on their board.

http://www.afvnews.ca/cgi-bin/web-bbs/webbbs_config.pl/

It is a friendly group of 1:1 scale Armor enthusiasts and has a lot of regulars from M-L as well.

hth,
mike