WWI Russian colors

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

WWI Russian colors

August 23rd, 2005, 12:37 am #1

Hello

I am planning to build either a Austin kergesse or Austin putilov
I would like to know what paints I should use to paint the armoured cars

and what paints correspond to the tsar russian olive green,
and the colors the red and white armies used in the civil war
humbrol colors preferebly but if not anything will do

thanks

August 23rd, 2005, 8:12 am #2

Hita

Colours - have a look at Landships. Discussion on Tsarsist colours seems to revolve around a dark green, with some suggestion that Tsarist armour followed the green used on their artillery. If not the apple green used in the Nineteeth Century, this is said to be a rich dark grassy olive, not unlike the later WW2 4BO in some aspects.

I think it would be misleading for anyone to quote a paint mix or match. Your best bet is to look at the evidence and recah your own conclusion.

The Cars - good text at http://derela.republika.pl/austin.htm#rus

Hope this helps

Mike Cooper

August 23rd, 2005, 10:09 pm #3

and during teh russian civil war, are the colors the same?

August 24th, 2005, 7:56 am #4

Sadly I've absolutely no way of being sure, and suspect that an answer would outstrip the capacity of a list like this.

I'd suggest reading:

New Vanguard on White Armour
Armada on early russian tanks
Men at Arms on Rusian ARmy 14-17 and the two on the Civil War

All discuss markings and paint in the Civil War at some level (although that on White Armour clashes with my interpretations of British colours)

The only degree of certainty emerges after the Civil War where Steve Zaloga (and others) have documeneted the early days of Red Army painting. Janusz Magnuski has detailed early Polish painting prctices in his little book on Polish Armoured Cars.

Given that the consensus is that the Tsar's army used a dark green (this consensus may/may not be accurate) and that the evidence is that the Red ARmy used various dark greens in teh late 1920s onwards, it does seem reasonable to assume some degree of continuity, but...

Sorry to be unhelpful, but I don't think this is one that can be answered this way.

Mike Cooper

August 24th, 2005, 9:48 pm #5

Ill look for some books on the topic IF i do a civil war russian armored car, my rule is to try to get the book from the same country as the tank is from that way you might have some extra info so ill look through aviapress.com for some russian books on the subject if I decide to do a russian armoured car from the civil war.