WW2 street lamps

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

WW2 street lamps

November 4th, 2011, 6:27 pm #1

Of what material were European street lamps composed - concrete, pot metal, aluminum (which I doubt), wood, etc? I have a Mini-Art one posed adjacent to a fallen brick building and want to replicate the damage it might have sustained, being hit by bricks and other rubble...would it dent, crack, or what? Also, was there a standard color these were painted? Does anyone know how the electrical service wires were run through the glass insulators - were there holes in the insulator or were the wires simply twisted around them? Pretty technical questions, but I hope someone can give me at least an educated guess. TIA

November 6th, 2011, 2:09 am #2

Most stuff like this was made of cast iron, a brittle high-phosphate grade of iron. It would have been painted to protect from corrosion, with many coats over the years. Broken edges would be a dull metallic steel color, with multi-chromatic highlights, but would quickly rust.

Dp yu mean the insulators for the streetlamp or the trolley-wires?