Worldwide Shipping rates

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

Worldwide Shipping rates

March 22nd, 2012, 12:58 pm #1

I'm curious here...are the shipping rates from China/Hong Kong subsidized at all?

Reason ask is that it seems like the shipping rates are "cheap" from that part of the world, in relation to other parts of the world. According the US Post Office site, a 1 pound package to Hong Kong going first class would cost me $11.60 to ship from the East Coast of the USA, but when I placed an order from Hobby Easy for a couple small things, the shipping cost was only $7.60 or so after exchange rates.

Europe is crazy also...I can't order anything from Germany...Shipping rates are normally 15-20 Euros to start (for the smallest thing), which works out to $26 USD...but yet from the Czech Republic, I can get 4 Blackdog sets sent to me for 7 Euros which is reasonable. Shipping from France (Blast Models) is some what reasonable also....

FedEx from HLJ is stupid fast and fairly reasonable, for the most part if you make a larger $$$ order from them.

Peter Griffin: Any problem caused by a tank can be solved by a tank.

March 22nd, 2012, 1:30 pm #2

Go tohttp://www.post.at/
They have a shipping calculator under "tools". See what it would cost me to send you a part.

March 22nd, 2012, 2:13 pm #3

I'm curious here...are the shipping rates from China/Hong Kong subsidized at all?

Reason ask is that it seems like the shipping rates are "cheap" from that part of the world, in relation to other parts of the world. According the US Post Office site, a 1 pound package to Hong Kong going first class would cost me $11.60 to ship from the East Coast of the USA, but when I placed an order from Hobby Easy for a couple small things, the shipping cost was only $7.60 or so after exchange rates.

Europe is crazy also...I can't order anything from Germany...Shipping rates are normally 15-20 Euros to start (for the smallest thing), which works out to $26 USD...but yet from the Czech Republic, I can get 4 Blackdog sets sent to me for 7 Euros which is reasonable. Shipping from France (Blast Models) is some what reasonable also....

FedEx from HLJ is stupid fast and fairly reasonable, for the most part if you make a larger $$$ order from them.

Scott, you are right about German postage, I went to order a small update set for 24 euro and the postage was 29 euro. Just stupid, hence the order was not lodged.

I have also found the US postage to be getting very high and order most of my stuff from HK and Japan these days as the postage is a lot more reasonable from that part of the World. It probably helps that I live "local" as it's a long way from Europe/US to Australia compared to Asia.

Cheers
Terry.

March 22nd, 2012, 3:03 pm #4

We now do all of our international shipping using the USPS Priority system. It's cheaper than all other methods, but are still more expensive alternatives avaialble. We even ship distributor orders using multiple boxes. The same is true for domestic, where we choose the Priority option most of the time. The only instance, in our case, is a single magazine. These can still be shipped regular first class.

It may be a case of the vendor searching out the best option for the customer.

The EMS and Fedex options offered by HLJ still astound me at their speed. They also offer it as an incentive on certain purchases for a reduced price. I suspect that HLJ has worked out a special deal with Fedex based on volume, but EMS by other Japanese vendors is just as speedy. Some of the fastest response I have ever received from a mail order has been this method.

I experienced the much sought after "Friday-to-Monday"McGillicutty-Jones with an order from Miniature Park. Similar mid-week results were obtained from Tasca and Rainbow Ten. All the packages were small, admittedly, so cost was relatively low.

The weird thing about Japanese EMS is that it's tracked through them until the package arrives at JFK (on the east coast), then it's delivered the next day. Hmmm...

Pat
MMiR

March 22nd, 2012, 3:18 pm #5

There used be an outfit called MPK in Far East that had excellent prices for hard to get at the time stuff like HobbyFan back in the early 2000's...I've gotten stuff from them in 2-3 days...insane!

March 22nd, 2012, 3:18 pm #6

When I was posting Inside the Armour stuff before I moved to Asia, it was costing, on average, £8 per parcel to send outside Europe. Then Royal Mail started 'loosing' my parcels and I was forced to switch over to sign for services with them to get insurance and proof of arrival, as replacing lost items was killing my business. It went up to average £12 per parcel, and that's not even tracked

I think it lost me a lot of business in the US where customers there are used to really cheap mail services, I even had one guy accusing me of upping the cost for profiteering purposes, until I pointed him to the RM website to see for himself

Chris

March 22nd, 2012, 3:22 pm #7

Chris,

Never had a problem with the rates Royal Mail has charge....I feel that around $15 USD is a good price for most stuff coming from the EU or so...a 1-2 lb Package via Priority Mail in the states, costs anywhere from $7 to $11 bucks depending on how far it has to go.

March 22nd, 2012, 4:59 pm #8

I ordered a "must-have" book from a US one man band (completely trustworthy) and he and I discussed the shipping because it was so high.

He uses the cheapest method and the cost is $29.50 for a $44 book.

I stayed with the order because it is a "must-have" and it will probably cost more to buy the book when it comes to the UK anyway.

March 22nd, 2012, 9:21 pm #9

Hi Gentlemen,
I wonder if it has anything to do with volume? Imagine the numbers of items actually shipping from Asia to the rest of the world on any given day? This surely would have an affect on the charges levied?

Cheers, Ian

March 22nd, 2012, 11:12 pm #10

I ordered some stuff from a shop in the Czech Republic The order was incomplete and the remainder, two bottles of paint totaling $4 USD, was on back order (I was charged for the whole order, BTW). Almost a year later, I receive a Paypal request for the two bottles plus 9 Euros shipping. Almost 12 friggin' bucks to ship two bottles of paint!!!!!!