Woodland scenics??

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Woodland scenics??

Matt Carlson
Matt Carlson

July 19th, 2003, 7:28 pm #1

Is woodland scenics ballast good to use for a 1:35 scale dio? For ground cover/making a small hill.
And is Woodland Scenics burnt grass turf good to make the hill look a little grass covered?? Orshould i make grass out of something else?

Andrew Albrecht
Andrew Albrecht

July 20th, 2003, 5:34 am #2

Matt,

I haven't found a lot of use for WS's ballast since its pretty uniform in size (unles thats the effect you're after). I've used everyhing from sand from a stream, cat litter, and smashed up plaster to represent small rocks and rubble. As for grass, you should try to find some static grass. A good model railroad shop should carry it if your local hobby shop doesn't. Be warned that static grass can also suffer from the uniform size problem mentioned above if you're applying it to large areas. For tall grass, old paint brush bristles (the big ones used to paint houses and such) do a pretty nice job.

HTH

Bart Campbell
Bart Campbell

July 21st, 2003, 2:05 pm #3

Is woodland scenics ballast good to use for a 1:35 scale dio? For ground cover/making a small hill.
And is Woodland Scenics burnt grass turf good to make the hill look a little grass covered?? Orshould i make grass out of something else?
As already stated, the problem with using woodland scenic items is that they are some times very uniformed looking. For grass, unless you are making a lawn, it looks to uniformed. Try mixing it up a little. Use the static grass but mix in some cut up lichen, house hold spices like crushed up parsley flakes, or any thing else you can find to make it look natural. Remember..mother nature is not uniformed.

HTH
Bart.

Matt Carlson
Matt Carlson

July 22nd, 2003, 8:13 am #4

Ill use some household spices and rocks i find in the yard . ones that look scale anyway. thanks for the tips!!