WIP-- old Italeri WC-54 Dodge with a bit of detailing, Part II

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

WIP-- old Italeri WC-54 Dodge with a bit of detailing, Part II

June 25th, 2012, 4:43 pm #1

I got a quite a bit done over the last week. First the instrument panel was detailed up with some new dials from Archer's Dodge 3/4 truck set which required a new panel to be punched from plastic sheet. This was laid on the kits panel which was filed smooth. The Altemeter was just drilled . Resulting instrument areas were first painted black, then Archer transfers were used. If you havent tried thier "wet" application method, it works perfectly. I go a step further and brush a little Future in the area the transfer will go, then slide the transfer onto the future. Once dry, I punched some clear plastic for the glass and droped them in with more Future.

Here it is masked off (tape applied to some thin plastic, then punched, pealed off, and applied)

And here it is all painted up, with the rest of the placards placed. The Archer placards are a little oversized (or the kit part is undersized..) but that may be because the Archer set is designed for the AFV Club kits. Had to do a little research to figure out where stuff went for the closed top WC-54. Oversized or not, I still like the result and its light years ahead of the origional kit part.

and some other shots of work around the body... Jerry cans (Tasca), cleaning up and detailing the doors with new handles, and asembly of the body.

Started painting the interior. Yes, OD green interior, as I didnt find any photos of ones with white interiors, including restoration jobs. Even in black and white photos, its pretty clear that the inside was a "dark" color and not white, but I could be wrong...

I went ahead and hit the grill with my primer color (Floquil Brunswick Green) just to see what it looked like...

Next up is to build some new strechers and detail the interior with some gear. Then somehow figure out how to hang the streachers with the straps while securing the top! Once that is on, then its on to some final details, cleaning up the outside, and start painting the body! Cant wait to get those big Red Crosses on there.

Cheers!
Andy

June 25th, 2012, 8:24 pm #2

Hi
Just a shame that AFV Club didn't include it in their Dodge series!

One of my favourite projects.

Cheers
Andrew

June 25th, 2012, 9:11 pm #3

I got a quite a bit done over the last week. First the instrument panel was detailed up with some new dials from Archer's Dodge 3/4 truck set which required a new panel to be punched from plastic sheet. This was laid on the kits panel which was filed smooth. The Altemeter was just drilled . Resulting instrument areas were first painted black, then Archer transfers were used. If you havent tried thier "wet" application method, it works perfectly. I go a step further and brush a little Future in the area the transfer will go, then slide the transfer onto the future. Once dry, I punched some clear plastic for the glass and droped them in with more Future.

Here it is masked off (tape applied to some thin plastic, then punched, pealed off, and applied)

And here it is all painted up, with the rest of the placards placed. The Archer placards are a little oversized (or the kit part is undersized..) but that may be because the Archer set is designed for the AFV Club kits. Had to do a little research to figure out where stuff went for the closed top WC-54. Oversized or not, I still like the result and its light years ahead of the origional kit part.

and some other shots of work around the body... Jerry cans (Tasca), cleaning up and detailing the doors with new handles, and asembly of the body.

Started painting the interior. Yes, OD green interior, as I didnt find any photos of ones with white interiors, including restoration jobs. Even in black and white photos, its pretty clear that the inside was a "dark" color and not white, but I could be wrong...

I went ahead and hit the grill with my primer color (Floquil Brunswick Green) just to see what it looked like...

Next up is to build some new strechers and detail the interior with some gear. Then somehow figure out how to hang the streachers with the straps while securing the top! Once that is on, then its on to some final details, cleaning up the outside, and start painting the body! Cant wait to get those big Red Crosses on there.

Cheers!
Andy

That looks fantastic! N/M

June 25th, 2012, 9:36 pm #4

Hi
Just a shame that AFV Club didn't include it in their Dodge series!

One of my favourite projects.

Cheers
Andrew
Its always been on my wish list, and finally picked up the kit with Eduard several months ago. Also have some SKP lights to use too!
It's been fun to upgrade this old kit.
Thanks again
Andy

June 25th, 2012, 9:38 pm #5

That looks fantastic! N/M
I'm really enjoying this project.
Andy

June 25th, 2012, 10:38 pm #6

Cheers!
Andy

Making this one look gorgeous! I did find a couple of white interiors though.

http://www.ipmsusa3.org/gallery/v/walka ... ELS/WC-54/

http://www.ipmsusa3.org/gallery/v/walka ... ?g2_page=3
Last edited by Warfrost on June 25th, 2012, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 26th, 2012, 10:03 am #7

Cheers!
Andy

but thats not to say there were'nt WC54's with a white rear compartment from what i've found out it depends on were the ambo was in theatre front line ambulances had the rear painted light olive shade's varie.ambulances behind or to the rear away from the action could have white interiors

i love what you have done with the dash board it looks awesome i'm currently working on a shelf queen converting this old girl to a 44 45 build using both the italeri kit and the command car from skybow ..

jamie
at 8.04 PM
Last edited by jamiesumner on June 26th, 2012, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 26th, 2012, 11:54 am #8

As a WW2 dodge owner I have spent the last 12 years looking at and for any publication or photos of Dodges in service in WW2 and have found not the slightest trace of evidence of WC54s with white interiors in U.S. Service or any other service for that matter. I have seen a couple shots of post war use by other countries where the interior was repainted in white. I have also seen a few restorations like that also and it always kind of p***es me off. All evidence I've seen suggest that the interior was the same color as the outside. This was the same for the post war/ Vietnam era Dodge M43 and Jeep M725 ambulances.

Mike Haines

June 26th, 2012, 12:51 pm #9

but thats not to say there were'nt WC54's with a white rear compartment from what i've found out it depends on were the ambo was in theatre front line ambulances had the rear painted light olive shade's varie.ambulances behind or to the rear away from the action could have white interiors

i love what you have done with the dash board it looks awesome i'm currently working on a shelf queen converting this old girl to a 44 45 build using both the italeri kit and the command car from skybow ..

jamie
at 8.04 PM
When I first started this project I didnt know much about the WC-54, but quickly figured out that there was a "early" and "late" body style, with the late having the recessed fuel filler neck. I had toyed with the idea of scratchbuilding that myself, as I didnt think it would be hard, but decided to just build it as an "early". Too many other projects that need my time.

It took me some searching, but I found a scan of the TM of both the open top and closed top dash, thus was able to compare the two and then figure out what on the Archer sheet should go where. If you want to go the same route, email me and I will send you the images/notes. You may want to try finding the Eduard zoom set as well (labeled for "dodge 3/4 trucks", as it has data plates for the WC-54 and may fit better.

Still cant beat Archer for the instrument dials though!

Cheers,
Andy

June 26th, 2012, 12:59 pm #10

As a WW2 dodge owner I have spent the last 12 years looking at and for any publication or photos of Dodges in service in WW2 and have found not the slightest trace of evidence of WC54s with white interiors in U.S. Service or any other service for that matter. I have seen a couple shots of post war use by other countries where the interior was repainted in white. I have also seen a few restorations like that also and it always kind of p***es me off. All evidence I've seen suggest that the interior was the same color as the outside. This was the same for the post war/ Vietnam era Dodge M43 and Jeep M725 ambulances.

Mike Haines
Hi Mike,
thanks for chiming in on this. I somewhat suspected as such as I know a few 1:1 restorers as well, and they take thier research pretty seriously. I became suspicious when the only places I found white interiors was in museums and on models. Even the Kruse ambulance has a white interior (great for taking photos though!)

I noticed the more I searched, all the "serious" restorers had the interior painted the same as the exterior, and that included several shots of unrestored vehicles that still had origional leather seats!

I also figured that even in black and white period photos, a white interior would show up pretty well, even with shadows. Havent seen that yet.

Now that is not to say some stateside USN ambulance might have had a white interor...but I would still lean toward the Navy Grey of the exterior.

Besides...what a pain it would be having to keep that white clean! Especally on the front line..

Thanks again, and I hope I do this model WC-54 justice. Feel free to chime in if you see any details off or something that could be added. My references are slim (mostly what I found via several google searches).

Regards,
Andy