WIP, my first ever rusty wreck, a 'degem alef' m51...

This "virtual workbench" is hosted by Robert Oehler and Brett Green, and is designed so that Missing-lynx readers can share their "in progress" photos with the rest of the readership and generate constructive discussions. Participation is open to all Missing-lynx visitors.

WIP, my first ever rusty wreck, a 'degem alef' m51...

February 8th, 2012, 9:43 pm #1

I started this about a week and half ago. I had a partially built DML premium kit that had been relegated to donor kit, I also had a partially built Italeri M4A1 76mm that was in the srap heap. I decided to combine these kits to make a real frankenstein of this overlooked version of the M51. It is basically an M4A1E8 with the extension on the turret bussel, the huge French 105mm gun, and a couple other little stowage extras. I used the lower tub, rear idler mounts, and turret from the dml kit, the hull and rear hull plate from the Italeri kit. The tranny cover was cobled together from dml, academy, and italeri parts. The tracks are from the new Tamiya M51, also Tamiya left overs I used for the tranny side axle covers since the dml ones are notoriously undersized. Since the suspension was already built, I had to chisel off the tires to simulate the burned wheels. Notice also that the gun is stuck at full recoil and missing the MB. I also scratched a few other little details including tool stowage brackets, damaged spare track holders, open tool box etc... I wasn't going for 100% accuracy here as I wanted to learn how to do this rusty look. Heck the picture that inspired this build is a different type of M51 altogether, below is the link from IDF in scale site. Just page down to the 9th post on page 1 and 3rd post on page 2 of the thread. In addition, the tracks still have the inside rubber even though the tank burned I had no idea how to remove the rubber from the inside of the track. The return rollers also retain their rubber as I didn't want to break them off the tub. Anyways, this still has a ways to go with the base, detailing, weathering etc.
http://www.idf-in-scale.com/forum/phpBB ... 560fba0f10

Since the dml turret was already built, I left the dust cover on the mantlet. I would appreciate paint suggestions for this as I want to make it look like the sun has really bleached it over time. I tried to simulate that effect on the sand grey paint, but not sure how to replicate it on the DC.

Last edited by sherman619 on February 9th, 2012, 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 8th, 2012, 11:02 pm #2

Holy cow that is looking awesome. Your build really captures the brute look of those late M4's.

February 9th, 2012, 12:49 am #3

I started this about a week and half ago. I had a partially built DML premium kit that had been relegated to donor kit, I also had a partially built Italeri M4A1 76mm that was in the srap heap. I decided to combine these kits to make a real frankenstein of this overlooked version of the M51. It is basically an M4A1E8 with the extension on the turret bussel, the huge French 105mm gun, and a couple other little stowage extras. I used the lower tub, rear idler mounts, and turret from the dml kit, the hull and rear hull plate from the Italeri kit. The tranny cover was cobled together from dml, academy, and italeri parts. The tracks are from the new Tamiya M51, also Tamiya left overs I used for the tranny side axle covers since the dml ones are notoriously undersized. Since the suspension was already built, I had to chisel off the tires to simulate the burned wheels. Notice also that the gun is stuck at full recoil and missing the MB. I also scratched a few other little details including tool stowage brackets, damaged spare track holders, open tool box etc... I wasn't going for 100% accuracy here as I wanted to learn how to do this rusty look. Heck the picture that inspired this build is a different type of M51 altogether, below is the link from IDF in scale site. Just page down to the 9th post on page 1 and 3rd post on page 2 of the thread. In addition, the tracks still have the inside rubber even though the tank burned I had no idea how to remove the rubber from the inside of the track. The return rollers also retain their rubber as I didn't want to break them off the tub. Anyways, this still has a ways to go with the base, detailing, weathering etc.

Since the dml turret was already built, I left the dust cover on the mantlet. I would appreciate paint suggestions for this as I want to make it look like the sun has really bleached it over time. I tried to simulate that effect on the sand grey paint, but not sure how to replicate it on the DC.

Cheers,
Anders

February 9th, 2012, 2:13 pm #4

February 9th, 2012, 3:29 pm #5

www.scratchmod.com
The Art of Destruction

February 9th, 2012, 7:27 pm #6

Holy cow that is looking awesome. Your build really captures the brute look of those late M4's.
this was actually a really quick build and it has been a blast to work on this so far.

Last edited by sherman619 on February 9th, 2012, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 9th, 2012, 7:28 pm #7

...effects, I am looking forward to see your progress.

Cheers,
Anders
keep up the amazing work on your shermans, I can't wait to see them all painted up.

Last edited by sherman619 on February 9th, 2012, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 9th, 2012, 7:29 pm #8

Wow,this is something!
I've had more fun on this project than on anything else I've ever done.

February 9th, 2012, 7:30 pm #9

so far Pedro. The chipping and burnt areas are looking good. Still have all the detail bits to do on mine. Can't wait to get to where you are.....painting and chipping.

www.scratchmod.com
The Art of Destruction
Hey, how did you create the sand effects on your JS-3 Egyptian wreck?