wing mirrors.

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

wing mirrors.

May 15th, 2017, 9:22 pm #1

For all those "softskin" modellers, 76/72 here is one tip that i must admit i had not thought of but makes perfect sense. Picked up from one of the N.A.R.T.M. guys (Civilian stuff) Kevin Green from Barnsley GB. More of him later!
He makes all his wing mirrors in the following manner.Using tinfoil for the mirror part means you only have to paint the back part, but the stroke of genius is to mount the mirror on thick fishing line before gluing it to the cab.Why fishing line? simple, if you accidentally knock your vehicle the mirror springs back into place instead of snapping off. Magic!

May 16th, 2017, 3:58 am #2

But I don't know how springy 2mm of fishing line would be.
might give it a go if Dan Taylors mirrors are the right shape of something in the future.
Cheers Elliott

May 16th, 2017, 8:00 am #3

For all those "softskin" modellers, 76/72 here is one tip that i must admit i had not thought of but makes perfect sense. Picked up from one of the N.A.R.T.M. guys (Civilian stuff) Kevin Green from Barnsley GB. More of him later!
He makes all his wing mirrors in the following manner.Using tinfoil for the mirror part means you only have to paint the back part, but the stroke of genius is to mount the mirror on thick fishing line before gluing it to the cab.Why fishing line? simple, if you accidentally knock your vehicle the mirror springs back into place instead of snapping off. Magic!
Anyone that does auto models might know of Bare Metal Foil for chrome work. It's a bright thin foil that's adhesive backed, so you can paint the mirror body then stick the foil on ...done!
Tim James
aka TJ
Styrene Manipulator.
Lover of heavy metal armour and shiny fast muscle cars.
"Slow progress is better than no progress"