Why it pays to shop around for reference material.........

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Why it pays to shop around for reference material.........

February 27th, 2012, 6:43 pm #1

Why it pays to shop around and to be patient............

My current buy of the year, Volumes 13 through 16, Tankpower books on the Tiger 1 just arrived in the mail today, from England to Canada including shipping for the grand total of $82.40 Canadian!

Through dumb luck I found them with an obscure used book seller who probably didn't do their homework and realize what they had. I would have expected, more probably, to have paid closer to $40 or $50 a volume and on eBay some seller from Florida wants $250 for just the 1st two volumes!!!!

There are yet still some treasures to be be had so don't give up and keep on hunting.

From the divorced and taking a second crack at it department, my late Valentine's Day presents just arrived in the mail today. A wall clock with a Pz 4, Panther, Tiger 1 and Tiger 2 on it and a red t-shirt with a Tiger 1 on it. This girl looks to be a keeper. While I model, she knits, and there is much harmony.

What a great day to go to the post office!

Cheers,

Garry

February 27th, 2012, 8:46 pm #2

Hi gary they are great books, and finding a good woman is a lot harder not all of us have that luck. still single

george

February 27th, 2012, 9:47 pm #3

My current buy of the year, Volumes 13 through 16, Tankpower books on the Tiger 1 just arrived in the mail today, from England to Canada including shipping for the grand total of $82.40 Canadian!

Through dumb luck I found them with an obscure used book seller who probably didn't do their homework and realize what they had. I would have expected, more probably, to have paid closer to $40 or $50 a volume and on eBay some seller from Florida wants $250 for just the 1st two volumes!!!!

There are yet still some treasures to be be had so don't give up and keep on hunting.

From the divorced and taking a second crack at it department, my late Valentine's Day presents just arrived in the mail today. A wall clock with a Pz 4, Panther, Tiger 1 and Tiger 2 on it and a red t-shirt with a Tiger 1 on it. This girl looks to be a keeper. While I model, she knits, and there is much harmony.

Cheers,

Garry
Alibris:

http://www.alibris.com/

and

Strand Bookstore:

http://www.strandbooks.com/

Strand has a humongo selection of military/history books. I have literally spent the entire day browsing through the shelves. Strand's prices are absolutely fantastic, whether it's new or used. You can even ask them to do a search and they'll locate a particular volume if it's available.

February 28th, 2012, 4:11 pm #4

www.bookfinder.com

This is an omnibus search engine which encompasses other online catalogues. I found a copy of Hunnicutt Stuart for $35. It goes on eBay for about $400.

Roy Chow
AMPS President
http://www.amps-armor.org
Roy Chow
Join AMPS!

February 29th, 2012, 12:12 am #5

Cheers,

Garry
I just picked up a mint condition Thomas Jentz, Panther: Quest for Combat Supremecy book for $20 at a recent model show from a vendor! Been looking for a deal on that book for quite some time. Got the new Steve Zaloga Modelling WWII U.S. armor on sale as well, that is one helluva book. Highly recommend both.

February 29th, 2012, 9:06 am #6

There's a seller down there who is always three or four times the price of any other vendor. Comes up on Amazon a lot I notice. I suppose somebody must be dumb enough to pay the price.

February 29th, 2012, 3:45 pm #7

The answer is to look for books everywhere, including thrift stores, which sometimes turn up treasures. Among the scores I've found at a local thrift store was a first edition of the Korea air war novel,"The Hunters" by James
Salter,unfortunately without a DJ, but still worth $80-100. Other finds incude a copy of "Lost Victories" by Manstein, brand new.I paid less than a $1.00 for each of these books.

A friedn of mine brought me copy of "Mein Kampf" in German Gothic script, copyright 1933, in excellent condition. He said it was being discarded by the local Libary. Not really reading material but still an interesting novelty item.

Armor/Aviation books are harder to find, but used book stores, can have have great finds, I recently found a copy of the "Condor Legion " [Luftwaffe in Spain 1936-1939]and paid for it in trade using books I'd found in thrift stores.

In these poor economic times, it is sometimes nice to get real value for your dollar.