Who makes a good white paint?

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Who makes a good white paint?

James Wolfe
James Wolfe

March 1st, 2004, 4:21 am #1

I'm talkin' opacity here, covering power you know? It doesn't matter if it's for brushing or spraying-I'll cross that bridge when I get there-but whose is the strongest? Try spraying Testors Acryl over OD plastic and you'll see what I mean. Acrylic or enamel, I can do whatever.

David Nickels
David Nickels

March 1st, 2004, 1:59 pm #2

I used to love OLD formula Humbrol flat white. It would brush cover over black plastic in a single coat with about a 95% coverage. The new super enamel formula sucks a** for anything and is not as durable when dry even. Games workshop Skull White is good for brush painting. For covering large areas I like the Tamiya Spray cans. Gloss white covers better than their flat white, which is kind of the reverse of the usual trend. Better than alot of paints, though.

Stewart Young
Stewart Young

March 1st, 2004, 5:26 pm #3

I'm talkin' opacity here, covering power you know? It doesn't matter if it's for brushing or spraying-I'll cross that bridge when I get there-but whose is the strongest? Try spraying Testors Acryl over OD plastic and you'll see what I mean. Acrylic or enamel, I can do whatever.
The best I have found so far is the Revell primer, comes in a spray and is white! I believe that Halfords (in the UK), sell a white acrylic primer but as yet I have not seen or used it.

HTH,
Stewart

Alasdair Johnston
Alasdair Johnston

March 2nd, 2004, 8:49 am #4

fantastic for spraying as well....and you mix it with water..

Alasdair

March 3rd, 2004, 7:57 pm #5

Vallejo acrylic paint in the small bottles for figure painting has good covering power. Titanium White oil paint is great but is not matt and needs to be spread out. This is good for doing CIP panels on a Challenger 2 if you have already sprayed the rest of the model. White is a tricky colour, especially if you have to paint it on later and cannot spray to get a smooth coat.

Cheers

Alex

March 5th, 2004, 4:08 am #6

I have used several brands over the years and settled on Floquil RailRoad colors - Reefer White. Great coverage and no bleed through. In the US most good hobby shops will carry this brand. I recommend it.