who is going to IPMS Nats in August?

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

who is going to IPMS Nats in August?

June 29th, 2012, 11:04 pm #1

This will be my first Nationals since Atlanta 2005. Can't wait. I missed AMPS due to travel schedule problems. I have driven to every other Nationals event. This time, I will be flying. Does anyone have some advice regarding getting through TSA security with a handful of models?

June 30th, 2012, 2:05 pm #2

...here's what one guy posted on the IPMS USA Forums when asked the same question about traveling on aircraft with models:

"I get a clearish plastic storage tub that will fit under the seat. I like the clear because it lets the TSA see what is inside without having to open the box. I brace all the models on and with foam.....and make sure that somehow foam also makes pretty tight contact with the top of the model so that it is locked in place well (I've held the boxes upside down, and even once accidentally dropped one without damage to the models).

As for getting through the airport, I try hard to pick a line that looks like it has reasonable TSA agents first of all. Then if they ask anything, I tell them that the contents are museum quality models. I've not had to open one yet for TSA...."

Another said:

"I build 1/72 armor, so my models are pretty small. I have an old cosmetic train case I use. About four fit in comfortably. I pad the bottom and stick them to tape loops on the bottom to keep them from sliding around. (all of them are on bases.) I always carry it on. It just fits under the seat, so I don't have to worry about some clown moving it around in the overhead. However you pack them, the main thing to remember is to not stress any delicate parts."

I've never flown with models myself, but I think these two suggestions are excellent ideas.

I hope this helps. Have fun out there in Orlando.
The Duke; Mark Deliduka
Virtuoso of Miniatures

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

July 1st, 2012, 2:26 am #3

This will be my first Nationals since Atlanta 2005. Can't wait. I missed AMPS due to travel schedule problems. I have driven to every other Nationals event. This time, I will be flying. Does anyone have some advice regarding getting through TSA security with a handful of models?
Cheers,

Jose

July 2nd, 2012, 9:04 pm #4

I'll be there, Alan. Tim Treadway

July 3rd, 2012, 2:51 am #5

You may just see me grazing through the vendor room or riding the spinning tea cups at the Magic Kingdom . This one's a good family "win-win".

I've got a couple of foam lined cases that I'll be modifying to hold my model entires somewhat securely, but still hoping for a turbulence-free flight down.

Cheers,

Wayne