White wash question...

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

White wash question...

March 1st, 2005, 2:38 am #1

I have a panzer gray Demag, painted with Testors MM Acrylic paint and coated with clear gloss (my usual treatment, prior to doing oil washes) and am contemplating the application of a winter white camoflage scheme and want to mask off portions of the gray scheme and remove the masking compound (Micro scale) to leave chip marks and distressed areas in the camoflage. Should I coat the acrylic gray undercoat with enamel flat, first? I don't want to mar the panzer gray; but I want to depict a pretty worn white wash. Any thoughts? Comments? I appreciate the help. Best regards, Dave

Jeff Andrews
Jeff Andrews

March 1st, 2005, 7:08 am #2

Dave O'Hara
Dave O'Hara

March 1st, 2005, 2:58 pm #3

That sounds like a great technique. I'll pick up some pastels and try it out. I appreciate your help! Best regards, Dave

March 1st, 2005, 5:43 pm #4

I have a panzer gray Demag, painted with Testors MM Acrylic paint and coated with clear gloss (my usual treatment, prior to doing oil washes) and am contemplating the application of a winter white camoflage scheme and want to mask off portions of the gray scheme and remove the masking compound (Micro scale) to leave chip marks and distressed areas in the camoflage. Should I coat the acrylic gray undercoat with enamel flat, first? I don't want to mar the panzer gray; but I want to depict a pretty worn white wash. Any thoughts? Comments? I appreciate the help. Best regards, Dave
here's another link that may help you for future reference

http://www.militarymodeler.com/portal/c ... tview.html

Johan Detruyer
Johan Detruyer

March 1st, 2005, 7:29 pm #5

There's also :
http://www.missing-lynx.com/articles/ge ... winter.htm

A technique I just tried involves the use of washing powder.

- Finish your model with enamelpaints.
- paint it white with tamiyapaint. Wait until it is touch-dry (10 - 20 minutes max.)
- gently put water on the surface you want to winterwash
- put some washing powder on it and wait 30 sec - 2 à 3 minutes.
- rince the powder off.
You should notice that the washing powder takes the tamiyapaint away , resulting in a quite convincing finish !
Try it first on some scrapplastic.

A final technique I did involves the use of maskol or any masking agent.
- spray your vehicle in the base colour
- use a kitchen sponge and soak it (a little, not too heavy !!) in maskol.
- put it randomly on the vehicle, in places where you expect it would wear off.
- let it dry
- spray the winterpaint
- After this coat has dried, peel the maskol off. This is best done using the same sponge with some (dried) maskol on it !!

Good luck, Johan

Johan Detruyer
Johan Detruyer

March 1st, 2005, 7:30 pm #6

I read your mail too quick, considering your real questin : yes, I would put a flat coat on it first !

Dave O'Hara
Dave O'Hara

March 1st, 2005, 7:47 pm #7

here's another link that may help you for future reference

http://www.militarymodeler.com/portal/c ... tview.html
That's an interesting technique. I appreciate your helpfulness. Best regards, Dave

Dave O'Hara
Dave O'Hara

March 1st, 2005, 7:49 pm #8

I read your mail too quick, considering your real questin : yes, I would put a flat coat on it first !
I appreciate your help. I just now finished the dark wash on the base coat (panzer gray) and after that dries, I'll coat the Demag with some clear flat. After that, it's off to the races! Wish me luck. Best regards, Dave