White-Laffly chassis

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

White-Laffly chassis

June 16th, 2010, 6:59 am #1

I have been working on a scratchbuilt model of the White-Laffly 50AM armoured car, and I'm running into problems with the chassis and suspension. The photos I have only provide small glimpses of this area, but I can see that the fairly generic suspension I had been building is quite inaccurate, particularly at the front end.

These armoured cars were built during WW I on the chassis of White trucks (2 1/2 ton?) supplied by the U.S., and later modernised with pneumatic tyres and French Laffly engines. I have one reference that states that the rear wheels were made steerable on the armoured car, though this was not the case on the original truck. I was wondering if there's anyone who has some info that might help me out.

Cheers,
Adam C.

June 16th, 2010, 10:42 pm #2

War Wheels. net It has info plus links that may be of use.
Paul

June 17th, 2010, 2:30 am #3

Thanks, Paul,

War Wheels does have a certain amount of info about this vehicle, but not the specific details I'm looking for.