Whippet painting

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

Whippet painting

Tom Sime
Tom Sime

September 19th, 2004, 7:21 pm #1

Not as much done as I’d planed but here’s my Whippet with the “foundations” painted.

I don’t know if in reality such a system of fueling was ever used but I have decided to display the Whippet in a vignette with the model “T” refueling it.

Tom

Mike.Cooper
Mike.Cooper

September 20th, 2004, 9:19 am #2

Lovely stuff. What's the figure?

War Diaries show that Fuel came in red 2 gallon cans (withthe top tied on with string so you could tell it as avgas in teh dark).

Crews fueled by hand.

What Battalion are you doing?

Model T vans - but not pick-ups occur in War Diary records regularly enough, so it splausible. The T will have WD and a broad arrow on teh side with its Serial on teh bonnet. I'd paint a white T on the side as this marking for all Tank Corps vehicles got banned in 1918, so it cleraly existed. I've only ever seen it on a Mk V.

Mike

Tom Sime
Tom Sime

September 20th, 2004, 6:16 pm #3

Hi Mike,

The figure is converted AB Miniatures as is the stowage bundle he’s sitting on, his tin hat is also from AB. I changed the pattern of the jacket with Milliput, new collar, skirt and pockets and the bag for the gas mask. I have two more figures on the go: one standing in overalls and the other, wearing a jacket, lifting 2 gallon “flimsies” from the Model “T” onto the front of the Whippet.

As to the Battalion I’m still looking into that. If they used Whippets then I’d love to do the 4th. as they painted their helmets blue and I just think it would look great. Unfortunately my reference material a little thin on WWI tanks and I think the 4th was “heavy tanks” so more research is needed maybe I’ll have to leave the 4th till I do my Airfix Mk IV.

White “T” sounds interesting if you could tell me were it was painted on the side I may add it and then over paint it in green so that it is just visible.

I read some place of fuel being transported in black 55 gal. drums hence the drums with the hand pump on the model “T”. I have loads of 2 gallon flimsies cast up so I can change the drums for flimsies if the drums are inaccurate.

Thank You for your input its been most helpful and encouraging.

Happy Modelling,
Tom

Mike Cooper
Mike Cooper

September 21st, 2004, 9:09 am #4

Cool conversion - I used AB on my Whippet scratch (see Lanships).

Sadly 4 Bn were on heavies. The blue helmets is not something that I'd be too sure of - Mollo reckons they did, but he's the only person that does. It's much more likely that it was a round patch on a GS Grey Brodie. Repeated as a strip on the shoulder straps of the service dress tunic.

Good chance that the guy is an NCO if you decide he's teh vehicle commander. Whippets get commanded by Sgts and Coprs more than heavies.

Your Whippet Battalions are 3 and 6. I have names for 3 and some markings gen for both if you want. I can get you Battalion colours for teh guy's tunic shoulder straps (he'll be wearing this over his brown overalls) - oh, and he'll be wearing his respirator, if not in the alert, then slung. If he isn't then he's far behind the front or in the UK (or suidical). Dress and kit are specifically refered to in Brigade orders in 1917-18.

3rd Brigade also made notes on some air recognition markings for use alongide the ID stripes.

Teh War diaries comment specifically on the stores carried on the tanks, hence my comments on the two gallon cans (not the later flimsies - they don't fall to pieces and are smaller. All pictures I've seen of tanks associated with fuel show lots and lots of two gallon cans. Doesn't mean that drums were'n't involved but I've never seen it.

David Fletcher's new book has some nice Whippet pics, and there are in action reports in Tanks and Trenches.

Mike

Tom Sime
Tom Sime

September 21st, 2004, 4:54 pm #5

Hi Mike,

I have just taken a look at your “Landships” Whippet ( to see Mikes Whippet use http://www.landships.freeservers.com/cooper_models.htm ) very nice work there I love all those open hatches. I’ve ordered another whippet from my local hobby shop with the view to do one with an open door and hatch on the cab. You might want to let Peter know that none of the other links from the thumbnails to larger images of your models are working.

I did some more research last night and your right “Sadly 4 Bn. where on heavies”. Mollo’s book is rather long in the tooth so I’m really not surprised that the “modern” viewpoint is that he got this wrong about the blue helmet- to bad so sad )c:#*. From experience I know all to well how fickle and subject to change information on “days gone by” can be.

Your stating that the 3rd and 4th being Whippet Bn. backs up what I’m reading on the web. As I haven’t finalized painting and markings yet I’d be delighted to have some names and numbers for the 3rd. When it comes to the red and white striping I, like yourself, I am going to go for a “minimalist” look. On the subject of the ID stripes I see that you have placed them on the roof of the cab I rather like that touch I also like the casual posing of the figures.

Re “…3rd Brigade also made notes on some air recognition markings for use alongside the ID stripes.,,” I would have thought that the red and white strips would have been enough even for the most short sighted of pilots! The use of additional markings is news to me, do you have any idea as to what those might have been?

I’ll see if I can find a copy of the D. Fletcher book locally so I can see if its worth my investing in.

Thank you, again for your help, suggestions and ideas on the Whippet these will lead to some changes and improvements.

Happy Modelling,
Tom

Mike Cooper
Mike Cooper

September 22nd, 2004, 8:07 am #6

Glad you liked baby! Good fun making her too.

3&6Bn - My comments were straight from primary sources - 9 was due to get Whippets but only one section did, reverting to, I think 6bn. It's all rather complicated and the sub-unit doesn't seem to have got a War Diary in the PRO.

Stripes - the roof stripes are taken from a photo. The other come from Photos and sketches in (I think) the 5 Bn War Diray for May 1918.

ID Markings - Yes, well the RAF never could see straight! The stripes show its a British tank, the other markings show that its 3 or 6 Bn. I only hav ewritten descriptions from teh War Diary, but its a disc marking on the "bonnet". Mail me off list and I'll send details.

If you want primary source references for teh PRO let me know.

Happy Whippeting

Mike

(You going to do a heavy?)