Whippet color

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

Whippet color

November 22nd, 2009, 6:52 am #1

I have searched this site and Landships and from all I have read the Whippet is a green color. I want to make Sphinx of the
Russian Civil War and the Osprey book suggest Dark Green. Would this be correct? I would appreciate any help.

November 22nd, 2009, 2:19 pm #2

Looking at a few photos of whippets alongside Mk IVs and Vs, the tone appears to be the same. I believe Brown is correct.

DY
Last edited by 3RTR on November 22nd, 2009, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 22nd, 2009, 2:50 pm #3

Hi Dick. Thanks for the reply. I have been wondering if brown was a possibility since some of the photos I have
show soldiers next to the tank and there uniforms are a close shade to the tank.

November 22nd, 2009, 3:33 pm #4

If you look at tourists' colour photos from the Brussels War Museum you can quite often see the Whippet (Firefly) in the same pic as the Mark IV (Lodestar III). And they seem to be different colours.

Most people consider the Mark IV to be in its original colours, whereas the tanks in, say, Bovington, have been repainted. The Whippet in Brussels is also possibly in its original colours. In photos you can see that the Whippet has a greenish hue, whereas the Mark IV is distinctly brown.

Perhaps the instructions at the time were to paint all tanks in a muddy brown colour, but different batches of paint (from different manufacturers) came up different colours.

I am building Emhar's 1/72 Whippet at the moment. I was thinking that when I come to paint it, I will paint it brown and then give it a green wash.

Just my opinion (and maybe my eyes are funny!).

November 22nd, 2009, 7:41 pm #5

I examined some surviving chunks of WW2 Khaki Green 3 recently. It can look brown or green according to the light and I mean daylight, at different times of day. My model colour mix matched to it does exactly the same thing.

November 22nd, 2009, 10:58 pm #6

Hi Mike. Is this one of the colors you mixed for the Tamiya colors for the British army?

November 23rd, 2009, 6:45 pm #7

I have searched this site and Landships and from all I have read the Whippet is a green color. I want to make Sphinx of the
Russian Civil War and the Osprey book suggest Dark Green. Would this be correct? I would appreciate any help.
Thi sone has bugged me for some time. I don't think the Brussels Whippet is the same colour as the Mk IV.

But..I've seen no contemporay sourcve to suggest anything but brown after the Soloman/equivalent was ditched.

Some refs on the Landships list suggest the use of a standrad khaki green on guns nad other kit, and this may be what is on the Whippet, but almost certainly the green shown in the Osprey isn't what the tank sfrom the UK were painted in, as it matches neither the brown we knw on heavy tanks nor the colour on the Brussels Whippet.

I'd go for brown, which opens up the question of when the Brits shifted to green after WW1: I'm being selfish here as ai have mediun C to do! My take is to keep anything built in the WW1 period brown...Worth noting that the colour was in use in the 20s on the "Mechanised Force" scheme..."

Mike cooper

November 23rd, 2009, 8:31 pm #8

Hi Mike. Is this one of the colors you mixed for the Tamiya colors for the British army?
John, do not be mistaken here. I am not saying that the Whippet is Khaki Green. I am merely using that particular colour, it is rather unusual, to make my point about the apparent variation on the same sample when viewed in differing light. As it happens Khaki Green is a good one to use.

November 24th, 2009, 7:39 am #9

Thi sone has bugged me for some time. I don't think the Brussels Whippet is the same colour as the Mk IV.

But..I've seen no contemporay sourcve to suggest anything but brown after the Soloman/equivalent was ditched.

Some refs on the Landships list suggest the use of a standrad khaki green on guns nad other kit, and this may be what is on the Whippet, but almost certainly the green shown in the Osprey isn't what the tank sfrom the UK were painted in, as it matches neither the brown we knw on heavy tanks nor the colour on the Brussels Whippet.

I'd go for brown, which opens up the question of when the Brits shifted to green after WW1: I'm being selfish here as ai have mediun C to do! My take is to keep anything built in the WW1 period brown...Worth noting that the colour was in use in the 20s on the "Mechanised Force" scheme..."

Mike cooper
Thanks guys I really appreciate the information and you have given me a lot to think about. Mike and Mike I really admire your works so I am sure this will help a lot. I agree the color tends to shift a lot. On the pictures at the Landships site the bow armor looks
brown but the cab armor looks green on another picture. I think all the reasons given for brown or green are very logical so I will
look into it a little more. Of course this does give me a perfect excuse to build two kits and paint one in green and the other in brown. All this help is why I like Missing Lynx so well. There is a wealth of knowledgeable people on this site!

November 24th, 2009, 8:19 pm #10

I put this mix on ML earlier this year, about late August early September. Someone later correlated the whole set and posted it too. I sugest a search.