Which one to buy: the old Trakz or the new Real Models M26A1 Dragon Wagon "soft cab"

Hosted by John Prigent and Steve Zaloga, this is a discussion group dedicated to the armoured forces of the many Allied nations of the Second World War.

Which one to buy: the old Trakz or the new Real Models M26A1 Dragon Wagon "soft cab"

July 10th, 2012, 12:02 am #1

Yep! The oldie Trakz resin and etched set

or the current set made by Real Models?

Two extra questions Cheapest place in Europe to buy Real Model products? And how is their M15A1 Trailer?

Thanks, and have an excellent week folks!

EDIT: There was a typo in my text
Last edited by amaronap on July 10th, 2012, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 11th, 2012, 2:26 pm #2

Contact me off board and I'll tell you why.

Pat
MMiR

"My friend does not worry, all friendly are fanatical of steel of the tank."

July 11th, 2012, 3:44 pm #3

Two extra questions Cheapest place in Europe to buy Real Model products? And how is their M15A1 Trailer?

Having just completed the Real Models version a few months ago, I wish I had been able to locate the Trakz version (are you listening MMD - reissue?) but gave up after several months of looking. I will say this about both (there are several builds and reviews using the Trakz on-line to see how it builds) that both will need a fair amount of scratch-building to complete the interior. I would get the Eduard interior set for the M26a1 as a start. The "soft-cab" had numerous canteen and other equipment clips all over the interior as well as clips for the tripod on the right rear back wall. Most "soft-cab" photos on the internet do not have all of the equipment stored but if you know what the clips are for you can figure it out because most of the welded on clips still remain. There is one page that has nice overhead view from the US Army manual that shows the layout of some of the bigger items.

Good luck
Mike

July 13th, 2012, 8:32 pm #4

I found that Lucky Models from Hong Kong charges prices some 20% lower compared to ordering directly from RM. Besides, LM's postal charges are very reasonable as well. I do not know the RM M15a1 trailer. I bought the Des Kit trailer instead and it builds into a nice replica. Do not expect Accurate Armour or Hobby Fan quality though.
Gert

July 17th, 2012, 12:32 am #5

Contact me off board and I'll tell you why.

Pat
MMiR

"My friend does not worry, all friendly are fanatical of steel of the tank."
nm

July 17th, 2012, 12:35 am #6

Having just completed the Real Models version a few months ago, I wish I had been able to locate the Trakz version (are you listening MMD - reissue?) but gave up after several months of looking. I will say this about both (there are several builds and reviews using the Trakz on-line to see how it builds) that both will need a fair amount of scratch-building to complete the interior. I would get the Eduard interior set for the M26a1 as a start. The "soft-cab" had numerous canteen and other equipment clips all over the interior as well as clips for the tripod on the right rear back wall. Most "soft-cab" photos on the internet do not have all of the equipment stored but if you know what the clips are for you can figure it out because most of the welded on clips still remain. There is one page that has nice overhead view from the US Army manual that shows the layout of some of the bigger items.

Good luck
Mike

Have an excellent week!

Nuno

July 17th, 2012, 12:36 am #7

I found that Lucky Models from Hong Kong charges prices some 20% lower compared to ordering directly from RM. Besides, LM's postal charges are very reasonable as well. I do not know the RM M15a1 trailer. I bought the Des Kit trailer instead and it builds into a nice replica. Do not expect Accurate Armour or Hobby Fan quality though.
Gert
May I wish you an excellent week!

Nuno