Which is best "Tamiya Flakpanzer IV" or "CMK Flakpanzer IV"

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Which is best "Tamiya Flakpanzer IV" or "CMK Flakpanzer IV"

February 19th, 2012, 6:28 pm #1

Hi

I own both of these kits which represent the flakpanzer IV mobelwagen. Which one shall I build?

Thanks

Patrick

February 19th, 2012, 6:32 pm #2

Note that Tamiya had a very old kit of the single Mobelwagen prototype armed with the Flakvierling. Thats not a very good kit as its all 70s vintage tooling.

The CMK kit combines the old Tamiya 1970s Mobelwagen chassis with their own very crudely done FlaK 43. It has some basic white metal and photo etch parts but is overall very rough. I had started building one of these when it first came out (before the newer Tamiya kit). It would take a lot of work to get a half way decent model from the kit.

Tamiya's newer kit while a bit simple is quite well done. I would recommend getting at least a basic etch set that has some screens for the brass catcher bag, and probably a metal gun barrel with a good muzzle brake. But the basic kit is nice and sound.
DAVID NICKELS

February 19th, 2012, 8:18 pm #3

David

Thanks so much for the answer.

Patrick

February 19th, 2012, 9:46 pm #4

Hi

I own both of these kits which represent the flakpanzer IV mobelwagen. Which one shall I build?

Thanks

Patrick
E.T. Model has a really nice detail set for this kit (E35-004)It includes a resin base for the head light, four coil springs for the mud flaps/ fenders, shield for the gun and lots of other bits. It's five sheets of brass and was reasonably priced (~$28.00) What's not to like?

February 20th, 2012, 4:08 am #5

David

Thanks so much for the answer.

Patrick
Please use full name when posting (n/t)
Tom Cockle