Where is a good place to buy pre finished round pilthe bases?

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

Where is a good place to buy pre finished round pilthe bases?

Matt Carlson
Matt Carlson

July 14th, 2003, 8:31 pm #1

I want to put my m26 on a round pilthe but I cant find a place where one is big enough. Would a 100mm diameter one be big enough? And if you have any good sources for model bases/ diorama bases let me know thanks in advance!!

Matt Carlson
Matt Carlson

July 15th, 2003, 1:07 am #2

It is a Round plinth base

Jakko Westerbeke
Jakko Westerbeke

July 15th, 2003, 10:23 am #3

I want to put my m26 on a round pilthe but I cant find a place where one is big enough. Would a 100mm diameter one be big enough? And if you have any good sources for model bases/ diorama bases let me know thanks in advance!!
...although I don't have an address of a plinth manufacturer for you, I do know that 100 mm diameter is not big enough for an M26 — that is, assuming it's a 1:35th scale model of the M26 Pershing heavy/medium tank, not some other scale or vehicle/device/gadget called the M26

The easy way of deciding how big a base you need, though, is the obvious one: put a ruler next to the vehicle and see how big it really is. Doing this with my Dragon M26A1, I just found out it's about 18 cm long and 10 cm wide — so a 100-mm base would be just big enough for the widest part of the tank, leaving you with overhangs on all sides. I'd recommend at least 20 cm diameter for a vehicle this size, and preferably a bit more.

Matt Carlson
Matt Carlson

July 15th, 2003, 7:24 pm #4

Well ya its a 1:35 scale. It is so hard to find display bases. I can't find any.

Matt Carlson
Matt Carlson

July 15th, 2003, 7:25 pm #5

If any of you know where I can get wooden display bases let me know. or if you make them and sell them let me know please. Thanks in advance!!

Janne Nilsson
Janne Nilsson

July 15th, 2003, 8:13 pm #6

..Jakko said, 100mm in diameter isnt enough if it isnt suppose to be standing on its nose.

I usually by plinths from Richard who runs Oakwood studios, but thats in England. Also note that large plinths inteended for tanks etc must be preorder and become pretty expensive. Just to have that in mind. Its good if you can match the colour and type of the plinth to the chosen subject. As well as the sign.

Another option would be picture frames. Those are inexpensive, at least many of them are, and can also if needed be custom made if the prefabricated measurements arent satisfying. Heres an example.

One can also buy framelumber by the meter or yard if youre not into the metric system. Cut it in a mitrebox, glue and nail it together as well as paint it. I did this base some years ago. I dyed the wood and put some layers of varnish on it. In this case I also tilted the frame so it stand up giving the feeling of a piedestal.

Other use just a board and taper the edges with woodveener? Sorry but Im not sure if that is a correct word.

You could also check into stores that sells prices and pokals. They usuall have some stuff as marble plinths and plaquettes that could be of use. Im not sure but U think a plaquette has been used in this exampls.

Let your imagination run free. Lets say you have an american tanker drinking coffee from a mug. Make the base of a real life coffee mug, etc. A friend of mine did this scene not long ago.

Janne Nilsson
IPMS-Stockholm

Matt Carlson
Matt Carlson

July 15th, 2003, 11:18 pm #7

Great thanks to you!!

Jakko Westerbeke
Jakko Westerbeke

July 16th, 2003, 10:43 am #8

..Jakko said, 100mm in diameter isnt enough if it isnt suppose to be standing on its nose.

I usually by plinths from Richard who runs Oakwood studios, but thats in England. Also note that large plinths inteended for tanks etc must be preorder and become pretty expensive. Just to have that in mind. Its good if you can match the colour and type of the plinth to the chosen subject. As well as the sign.

Another option would be picture frames. Those are inexpensive, at least many of them are, and can also if needed be custom made if the prefabricated measurements arent satisfying. Heres an example.

One can also buy framelumber by the meter or yard if youre not into the metric system. Cut it in a mitrebox, glue and nail it together as well as paint it. I did this base some years ago. I dyed the wood and put some layers of varnish on it. In this case I also tilted the frame so it stand up giving the feeling of a piedestal.

Other use just a board and taper the edges with woodveener? Sorry but Im not sure if that is a correct word.

You could also check into stores that sells prices and pokals. They usuall have some stuff as marble plinths and plaquettes that could be of use. Im not sure but U think a plaquette has been used in this exampls.

Let your imagination run free. Lets say you have an american tanker drinking coffee from a mug. Make the base of a real life coffee mug, etc. A friend of mine did this scene not long ago.

Janne Nilsson
IPMS-Stockholm
Although I'm not sure it's the correct English term for them, I've built a few dioramas on cheese boards (circular wooden planks with a slightly decorated edge milled onto them, intended for serving cheese on). They're cheap, already have a nice edge, and just the right size of a typical tank model with a bit of scenedry and/or figures (about 25 to 30 cm diameter, off the top of my head).

j mcdougall
j mcdougall

July 23rd, 2003, 12:45 pm #9

try second hand dealers and get pictures with the frames as the pictures are crap and it makes then very cheap but with the glass removed makes good edging for dios. plus the glass can be used later for making a glass case.

Frank Sullivan
Frank Sullivan

July 27th, 2003, 1:51 am #10

....can be found in crafty places like the Spotlight chain, where various sized and shaped bases for Decoupage can be found. Cheaper but acceptable wood bases instead of the more expensive varieties.

If you need something larger or non-standard, track down a woodworker through one of the smaller craft shops. Most of them will charge only a few bucks plus a basic rout or mill for a fancy edge. Found a bloke near Cessnock (Hunter Valley) who's quite reasonable.