Where can I get....?

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

Where can I get....?

June 10th, 2003, 3:03 pm #1

Sorry if this question sounds basic.

Where can I get thin metal wires that you would use to make handles and grips in scale?

Thanks,

Hugh

roy chow
roy chow

June 10th, 2003, 6:59 pm #2

There are different types available. They can be nickel (used for people who assemble beads) or copper. I find both to be useful. Should come in a variety of guages.

June 13th, 2003, 6:09 pm #3

Where can I get thin metal wires that you would use to make handles and grips in scale?

Thanks,

Hugh
Hugh,
try the model train shop or the model train section of your local hobby store. I have a stock of 0.01 & 0.015 wire meant for model trains that I use for all kinds of details on armor.

I resort to styrene rod for anything that I dont have the appropriate wire for, and solder from Radio Shack is good for the same reason. You cant use it in high
wear areas however because of its softness.

HTH

Andy Tedtsen

Dave Dean
Dave Dean

June 14th, 2003, 1:20 pm #4

Thanks,

Hugh
Hi Hugh,
Andy is right on for the source for thin rod for handles etc. The company that produces them is Detail Associates and they do a wide range of sizes in brass rod. Also for flexible wire for engine plumbing or wiring an excellent source is lead fly tying wire (found at upscale fishing/outdoor stores) available in a variety of sizes. The advantage of this over solder is there is no rosin core to deal with or high price. I bought a pack of 6 different sizes (20m ea) for $19 CDN.

HTH,
Dave

Frank Sullivan
Frank Sullivan

June 18th, 2003, 11:51 pm #5

Thanks,

Hugh
....as in stapling documents. They come in different sizes and are tough little suckers with sharp angles and straight lines. Lazy folk can even heat the ends and jam the staples directly into their plastic project, but that's really tacky.....