Wheels for 18 pounder

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Wheels for 18 pounder

January 5th, 2012, 3:28 pm #1

Guys, do any of you have spare, or know of any pneumatic style wheels for the 18Pdr as used in the Western Desert in WWII. The kit I have (Emhar) only supplies the WWI style wooden ones.

Thanks in advance.

David.

January 5th, 2012, 6:19 pm #2

Sorry to bear bad news Dave but it isnt just a case of swopping wheels over. The "upgraded" 18 pdrs had a new undercarraige called the Martin Parry system which incorporated a suspension system to allow the gun to be towed at high speed behind a motorised tractor unit.

January 5th, 2012, 7:09 pm #3

Actually, some of the older 18 Pdrs with the "pole" type trail were swopped over to early pnematic tyres that looked very like the ones available in 1/72 scale on PST Russian trucks. They only had a single hole where the PST ones have two so one woould have to be filled in and I'm not sure about any size difference.
Anyway, here is a link to one in Canadian service. Hope this helps.

http://www.artillery.net/new/hergunwainwright18pdr.html

Cheers,

Neil

January 5th, 2012, 7:17 pm #4

Sorry to bear bad news Dave but it isnt just a case of swopping wheels over. The "upgraded" 18 pdrs had a new undercarraige called the Martin Parry system which incorporated a suspension system to allow the gun to be towed at high speed behind a motorised tractor unit.
Actually, some of the older 18 Pdrs with the "pole" type trail were swapped over to early pnematic tyres that looked very like the ones available in 1/72 scale on PST Russian trucks. They only had a single hole where the PST ones have two so one woould have to be filled in and I'm not sure about any size difference.

Cheers,

Neil

January 5th, 2012, 7:26 pm #5

Guys, do any of you have spare, or know of any pneumatic style wheels for the 18Pdr as used in the Western Desert in WWII. The kit I have (Emhar) only supplies the WWI style wooden ones.

Thanks in advance.

David.
Try W^D models

January 5th, 2012, 8:58 pm #6

Actually, some of the older 18 Pdrs with the "pole" type trail were swapped over to early pnematic tyres that looked very like the ones available in 1/72 scale on PST Russian trucks. They only had a single hole where the PST ones have two so one woould have to be filled in and I'm not sure about any size difference.

Cheers,

Neil
Hi Guys

I would say the opposite. The 18 pounders with the pole trail were not converted to pneumatic tyres prewar (not worth the trouble - limited range due to the pole trail). They were converted in early wartime with the Martin-Parry conversion (see the pics from Canada above)as an urgent operational requirement, and some went across to France with the BEF. A fair number of 18 pounders with box trail (Mk IVP)and some with split trail (Mk VP) had been converted to pneumatic tyres prewar, and numbers of these were converted to 25 pounder Mk 1 (the majority of guns with the BEF). These had wheels with smaller hubs than the Martin Parry conversions, but bigger and fatter tyres, not unlike the later 25 pounder Mk II.

Chris

January 7th, 2012, 1:03 am #7

Dave, are there any pictures or photos of the Martin Parry system?
I might be able to scratch build one if they are simple enough.

January 7th, 2012, 1:06 am #8

Cheers,

Neil
Neil, that's great, thanks. Only problem is that the gun shield in your photo is different to the one in the kit. Will I have to replace that as well, or might that example (in the photo) have a post WWII in North Africa gun shield?

January 7th, 2012, 1:08 am #9

Hi Guys

I would say the opposite. The 18 pounders with the pole trail were not converted to pneumatic tyres prewar (not worth the trouble - limited range due to the pole trail). They were converted in early wartime with the Martin-Parry conversion (see the pics from Canada above)as an urgent operational requirement, and some went across to France with the BEF. A fair number of 18 pounders with box trail (Mk IVP)and some with split trail (Mk VP) had been converted to pneumatic tyres prewar, and numbers of these were converted to 25 pounder Mk 1 (the majority of guns with the BEF). These had wheels with smaller hubs than the Martin Parry conversions, but bigger and fatter tyres, not unlike the later 25 pounder Mk II.

Chris
Chris. I'm confused! Which suspension/wheel combination is correct for North Africa 1940 & 1941?

January 7th, 2012, 1:11 am #10

Try W^D models
Barry. Thanks for that. I am not familiar with that company, do you have any more details?