Whats the airfix M3 white like???.....

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

Whats the airfix M3 white like???.....

March 23rd, 2011, 9:30 am #1

....wos just wondering what the airfix m3 white half-track was like? I really only wanted the 1 ton trailer for a Red ball express diorama i'm building?

March 23rd, 2011, 1:10 pm #2

Dear Mick,
regrettably the Airfix White M3 is a mixture of various half tracks types, it have the M5/M9 mudguards (well, a near representation of them) with post war british lights, the body (sides) of a M-13 or M-16 AA half track but with the back of a M3 or M3A1.
Moreover, it lacks a lot of interior details. It is, also, more in 1/72 than 1/76 scale, if you put side by side with the Academy M3 you will see what i mean.
Perhaps, with a little effort (and a Maxon turret from a Matchbox/Revell M-16 kit) you would obtain a decent M-14 half track (watch for the rounded rear corners of the body!!) used by the Red Army or (without the AA turret) a post war british half track (used up to the 70´s)as light recovery vehicles(with front mounted jib) or radio wireless etc.. During WWII the british also used some M14 -without AA turrets- as personnel carriers alongside International M5 or M9 (more common).
Referring to the trailer, you have the basis of it, but the wheels are inaccurate; Model Transport used to have replacement wheels for Ben Hur trailers than came with their GMC and Studebaker truck kits.
In all, it is a very old kit from 1968 or 69 without much detail and, for years it was the only american half track we modellers could obtain (the Hasegawa ones are completely out of scale).
Good luck and best regards
Eduardo Gonzalez Mossini

March 23rd, 2011, 4:44 pm #3

....wos just wondering what the airfix m3 white half-track was like? I really only wanted the 1 ton trailer for a Red ball express diorama i'm building?
I had alot of fun with this when I was a kid. Before the boom of the small scale in the last ten years, it had been one of the best for a long time. I would get either Italeri or Academy. If you want the trailer, then it would be worth the money (still cost less than 10 bucks in the US).

March 23rd, 2011, 7:59 pm #4

Mick,

If all you're after is the trailer and you don't mind 1/76th scale, you should consider the following trailer offered by Milicast:

http://www.milicast.com/shop/product.ph ... =64&page=1

I think it runs about the same price-wise and you'll get a lot better quality. The service is great and you might as well get some other items while there. It's win win!

- George

p.s. I've no affiliation with Milicast, except that I'm a satisfied customer.

March 23rd, 2011, 9:00 pm #5

The Airfix/Heller Jeep comes with a small trailer. I forgot to add the brakelights to the sides of the rear but I think it's a decent model.

A more expensive option could be the CMK resin kit:
http://www.cmkkits.com/en/afv/ww-ii-us- ... r-ben-hur/

They also make a nice water trailer.

Hope this helps,
Jeff

March 23rd, 2011, 10:22 pm #6

n/t

March 24th, 2011, 12:40 am #7

...its GREAT TO BE BACK! problem is i dont know how to upload any images?

March 24th, 2011, 5:04 pm #8

It's what I use. It is free and very easy.http://photobucket.com/

March 24th, 2011, 6:40 pm #9

I had alot of fun with this when I was a kid. Before the boom of the small scale in the last ten years, it had been one of the best for a long time. I would get either Italeri or Academy. If you want the trailer, then it would be worth the money (still cost less than 10 bucks in the US).
It is as much of a toy as the latest Dragon ot Trumpeter offerings and I do really get fed up with this snobbery.