What to make headstones out of?????

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

What to make headstones out of?????

March 7th, 2001, 9:25 am #1

What should I make headstones out of??? I have tried Milliput with little success.

Thanks alot
Fellow Trackhead,
Tim "tigerace" Sauck

Ed Gilbert
Ed Gilbert

March 8th, 2001, 3:58 am #2

Pour a thin sheet of the stuff in an aluminum pie plate. You can then carve various sizes and shapes of European-style headstones from busted up bits of it. You can pencil on and carve the names and such into the surface. A little brushing with a stiff-bristled toothbrush will 'weather' and 'corrode' the stone to various degrees, then stain with oil paints, and voila!

marijn van gils
marijn van gils

March 8th, 2001, 9:41 am #3

What should I make headstones out of??? I have tried Milliput with little success.

Thanks alot
Fellow Trackhead,
Tim "tigerace" Sauck
I think that Ed's advice is the best I could think of, but if you want to spend money instead, I just wanted to let you know that Verlinden makes a set of resin tombstones...

Tim Sauck
Tim Sauck

March 8th, 2001, 9:59 pm #4

n/a

Janne Nilsson
Janne Nilsson

March 9th, 2001, 10:47 am #5

If youre meaning the millitary crosses on millitary cementries that are formed like a cross. Some with the jewish star and some german in a malterser style cross. I believe it would be better to make them out of Plastic Card and strip. After establishing the form one can put on a thin layer of putty and texture it while still soft.

Cheers
Janne Nilsson
IPMS-Stockholm

Rob Plas
Rob Plas

March 9th, 2001, 2:47 pm #6

If you want to scratchbuild the crosses and stars as seen on the official memorial cemeteries in Europe there's no need to texture the surface.
The crosses are made of high quality marble, and polished to a shine.
This picture was taken at Omaha beach, where you can find a huge US cemetery.
Visiting this site is still a highlight of my vacation there, as it makes one humble, and realise there's always a downside to our hobby