what is your first port of call for new kit news?

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

what is your first port of call for new kit news?

February 21st, 2012, 11:19 am #1

mine used to be PMMS, then when updates weren't so frequent it was AFV NEWS, and now its these boards. Armorama news tends to be months old.

where do you go for news?

February 21st, 2012, 11:49 am #2

I have no personal stake in or connection to Armorama, but I have to take exception with the idea that it is 'months out of date'

Having a commercial interest in the market I check all the sites for news regularly. Armorama is no slower than anyone else to get the news and is sometimes first.

As for where I go, they are all much of a muchness to be honest. PMMS did used to be the first, but I understand this has slowed slightly due to many demands in Terry's time. He still gets the news out in good time though and again is sometimes the first

Chris

Inside the Armour
www.insidethearmour.com

February 21st, 2012, 12:45 pm #3

I check Perth,Missing-Lynx, Scale Model Addict. Also I have a network of friends embedded in the hobby and Industry who regularly report on happenings. Of course none of the info is any fresher than what is public.

Frank Blanton

"Fantasy Football,
Dungeons and Dragons for Jocks"

February 21st, 2012, 12:55 pm #4

mine used to be PMMS, then when updates weren't so frequent it was AFV NEWS, and now its these boards. Armorama news tends to be months old.

PMMS and Armorama. Both are very timely, especially if you watch the latter's Twitter feed.

February 21st, 2012, 1:44 pm #5

Hi Greg
It seems to me that down to the nature of how new releases are announced these days, no one site is better than any other. Increasingly new products are heard about or announced by individuals long before the actual manufacturer makes an official announcement. In the case of Armorama for example Rob Skipper has been able to give members scoops on new Legends products and hints at some plastic kits. Remember the Tamiya T-55 Enigma was first heard about on ML from members investigations. The new Meng Merk3D was announced by its chief researcher on the IDF in scale forum.

What i'm getting at is that its impossible to use one news source and receive news first.

Rob

February 21st, 2012, 1:48 pm #6

February 21st, 2012, 4:17 pm #7

Links on Facebook N/T

February 21st, 2012, 4:52 pm #8

The rain came down in cold gray sheets. I turned the corner of Shanghai Road and Wong Sung Street before ducking into a nearby doorway to check my six. Nobody there. Hong Kong during the winter rainy season can be a scary place. I continued down Wong Sung, the rain dripping from my low slung fedora, until I came to the hole in the wall where the Noodle Lady has set up shop. Wonton Sally was the model industrys best insider.

Its unknown who first discovered her connection to the industry, but due to a strange twist of fate she knew months in advance who was producing what and when it was going to be released. Her network of relatives interspersed throughout the industry makes her the go to person for information.

It all started over a bowl of steaming hot noodles filled with floating bits of mysterious reddish meat. I had asked her in my horribly broken Cantonese how to get to Continental Hobby Shop in Yau Ma Tei. She answered in clear and concise English where it was and that they had the new DORA Rail Gun model from Soar Art in stock. I sat there stunned with a piece of wilted choi sum falling back into the oily soup. How did she know that?

She said that her son from her first marriage has a daughter whos husband has a barber that clips the toenails of the paper boy of the store owner told her.

Huh?

What, never hear of the Six Degrees of Separation? she shrilled. You know, that movie with that Will Smith guy?

Huh? Oh yeah, that movie. Sure I remember that movie, but how does that explain how you know that the store around the corner has the DORA?

My Son tell me. with a are you an idiot look on her face.

Oh.

And my Daughter tell me Tamiya will come out with a M3A1 Stuart next month. She went back to stirring the thickening glop in her pot.

What! I havent heard this! How does your Daughter know?

Again with the Are you an idiot? look. My daughter married to accountant in LA. He bowl every Friday night with boyfriend of sister of the stock boy in the Tamiya USA warehouse. He overhear in bathroom from CADD operator complaining about all the changes he have to make on drawings of new M3A1 Stuart model.

After recovering from the news that the Big T was releasing a model of my favorite tank, I asked her a question that I already knew the answer to. What about Kombrigs new 1/350 scale USS Monitor?

Oh that one old news already. My uncles youngest daughter has nursemaid whose son cleans the pool of the Russian Diplomat in Tokyo see new Kombrig kit on Russian Attachés desk not two day ago. She glared at me with her big almond eyes wrinkled nose and prune shaped mouth. Too bad Wonton Sally wasnt 50 years younger.

Her phone rang and she answered it with a high speed stream of Cantonese. I ate a few more bits of mystery meat while she talked. After awhile she put down the phone and said, You in luck Fatboy, My arch rival from the Flower on the Spring Field Kindergarten just call me up and tell me that Trumpeter is finally releasing their 1/6 scale C-17 and C-5 kits. He hear from the old lady with the nasty Chihuahua that her next door neighbors no good son left the house early to go to store. You better hurry, long line outside of store already there.

I slurped down the last of the dark yellow soup and noodles, tossed the dog at my feet the last bit of mystery meat, thanked Wonton Sally for the news and ran to the store to get my 1/6 scale C-17.

That first meeting was years ago and ever since, every time I am in HK with my girl friend, I stop by Wonton Sallys Noodle Stand for the latest news. As I reached the stand, Wonton Sally was nowhere to be seen. Instead a beautiful young woman was in the stall.

Looking for Wonton Sally? she asked in a sultry voice that would make a gay man go straight. She retired and sold the shop to me, Char Siu Betty. Did you hear that Revell Germany is releasing a 1/72 scale CVN 65 USS Enterprise?

The spirit of Wanton Sally and her industry insight continues

February 21st, 2012, 10:37 pm #9

....Model Armour,PMMS,Armorama and here Missing Lynx.Makes the head spin just trying to keep up to all the new releases.

Mike

Fair winds....soft landings
Mike Peplinski

February 22nd, 2012, 2:43 am #10

I follow Frank Blanton religiously - his insight and connections are impeccable...when he's sober.

For me, PMMS first, ML, TL and AFV News...

Semper Fi,

Pat