What is your favorite sprue cutter.

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

What is your favorite sprue cutter.

March 13th, 2011, 9:58 pm #1

I have a set of Crescent "flush cutters". I'm not very pleased with how they work. So I'm taking a small survey to find out what everyone else uses and I'll make a decision for new ones from there.
Thanks

March 13th, 2011, 10:29 pm #2

Xuron. Fingernail trimmers work on curved areas, as well.

March 13th, 2011, 10:49 pm #3

I have a set of Crescent "flush cutters". I'm not very pleased with how they work. So I'm taking a small survey to find out what everyone else uses and I'll make a decision for new ones from there.
Thanks
I've been using my Tamiya cutters for a couple of years now and really like them, best cutters i've ever used.

March 13th, 2011, 10:56 pm #4

Hi,

I've used every time of cutter out there, and the high end Tamiya are my favorite. They are really nice cutters, around $40, they will last a long time also if properly cared for.

-Steve

March 13th, 2011, 11:21 pm #5

they make several different styles for different kinds of cutting. If I was to chose one I would say their Pro Sprue cutter, the 2175 model is great for very detailed, upclose and personal, sprue cutting.
my2cbobC

March 13th, 2011, 11:23 pm #6

Thanks
Got my Tamiya pair as a Christmas present instead of the wire cutting side cutters I asked for! I dont use them much to cut pieces off sprue but as a scratchbuilding tool I find them indespensable.

Regards Dave

March 14th, 2011, 2:52 am #7

Thanks
They are a cam-action cutter that offer excellent control and precision.

March 14th, 2011, 5:51 am #8

Thanks
I use a few, but basically a Xuron for general cutting and a nice small Eram flush-cutter for finer work. The xurons have smooth action but the shear cut doesn't always work for me with soft plastic & close sprues. The Erams have smaller jaws and so are better for finishing work. I also keep a couple of beefy wire cutters around for cutting music wire and such - as to not ruin my good ones.
- fredman out

March 14th, 2011, 7:03 am #9

Thanks
Tried others but always went back to the Tamiya one.

Cheers,

Christophe

March 14th, 2011, 2:47 pm #10

Thanks
Hi:

I got the Tamiya sprue cutters a couple of years ago, and was shocked at how much better they were than what I had been using previously. Not cheap, but worth every penny.

Cheers,

Scott

Scott Taylor
Thachweave Products
http://thachweave.tripod.com