What is the best way to make a red tarp for recognition?

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

What is the best way to make a red tarp for recognition?

August 22nd, 2017, 2:43 pm #1

I'm building a South Vietnamese M41A3 and the color pic I have shows it has a red color tarp draped over the forward edge of the turret. Whats the best way to simulate this?

TIA

Brad

August 23rd, 2017, 3:22 pm #2

Hi, Brad:

I like thin lead because all you have to do is cut and then drape it, gently pushing it into place. It's soft and pliable and retains its shape. You can buy lead foil on Amazon. Another source used to be the wrapping on wine bottles, but I think they use plastic now. There was even a time when toothpaste tubes would work.

Cheers,

Chris

www.chrisevansauthor.com

August 23rd, 2017, 4:52 pm #3

/

August 23rd, 2017, 6:30 pm #4

I'm building a South Vietnamese M41A3 and the color pic I have shows it has a red color tarp draped over the forward edge of the turret. Whats the best way to simulate this?

TIA

Brad
I just finished a red tarp. I dope part of a napkin(layered for bulk), with a pva/water slurry. The slurry should be equal parts pva and water. Dip the napkin or a piece of gift tissue in the slurry and carefully lay it, in the desired location. You can gently shape it, with toothpicks. As it dries(which can be helped along with a blow dryer), you can make little tears in the paper with a pointy anything. After it has dried, gently pry it off of the model. It is now ready for paint and weathering. I can post a photo of the finished result, if you desire.

August 23rd, 2017, 8:54 pm #5

nt

August 23rd, 2017, 10:42 pm #6

August 24th, 2017, 3:53 am #7

/

September 23rd, 2017, 1:56 pm #8

TIA

Brad
You'll see that the flourescent panel was bordered by an OD strip. Look athttp://www.archertransfers.com/CAT_USother.html
Roy Chow
Join AMPS!