What is Dragon's best 1/72 scale armor model?

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

What is Dragon's best 1/72 scale armor model?

March 24th, 2012, 3:05 pm #1

I know this is an open ended question, but without regards to subject matter beyond being an armor/AFV/softskin kit, which one is their best in this scale?

The background to this question occurred when I was discussing the diecast metal hull deterioration of my Panther G with a friend. The kit was built almost 10 years ago when it first came out and has been sitting in a closed display cabinet unmolested for the last 4 years. It is sitting next to other built model kits by Revell, Airfix, Matchbox, Hasegawa, Esci (both an original and an Italeri reissue), and PST; some of which are much older builds and some which were built more recently.

The comments were aimed at their kit quality, which is hard to defend when a model built less than a decade ago has a major body part literally crumbling apart at the seams yet a 35 year old Matchbox kit sitting inches away looks much like it did when new. Incidentily, a Dragon Sturmtiger I built around the same time does not suffer from the metal deterioration (yet).

I told him that their kit quality improved between the time they released the Panther G with diecast metal hulls and the hole-filled Abrams kits. I haven't bought any of the more recent Dragon 1/72 scale (I'm thinking their Firefly Vc or HMMWV gun truck were probably the last new kits I bought).

Any way, I told him I'd grab a more up-to-date Dragon kit so he could see how nice they are detailed. I went to the Dragon USA site and was looking at the various IJA tanks, which look nice to me. I was about to place an order for the Ha-Go, but decided I should ask before spending my money. As an aside, I checked out the prices on eBay, I can order a Ha-Go with a buy-it-now price plus shipping from several vendors for less than the price Dragon USA asks for before shipping. I'm glad I decided to ask since it probably saved me around $10.

RobG
RobG

March 24th, 2012, 4:08 pm #2

It's like saying who's the most beautiful woman in the world. Just on looks alone once you get into the top 5% of the population that are genetic freaks even with my own preferences there could be dozens that I know of that I couldn't choose between.

Having said that I like the Pz. IV's and the Shermans about equally, while I do like the more recent kits it seems they are trying harder and harder to put as much detail into as few parts as possible where I'm actually a fan of over engineering and/or less detail, concentrating on the overall shape than details I can add myself that will probably look better.

March 24th, 2012, 8:09 pm #3

I know this is an open ended question, but without regards to subject matter beyond being an armor/AFV/softskin kit, which one is their best in this scale?

The background to this question occurred when I was discussing the diecast metal hull deterioration of my Panther G with a friend. The kit was built almost 10 years ago when it first came out and has been sitting in a closed display cabinet unmolested for the last 4 years. It is sitting next to other built model kits by Revell, Airfix, Matchbox, Hasegawa, Esci (both an original and an Italeri reissue), and PST; some of which are much older builds and some which were built more recently.

The comments were aimed at their kit quality, which is hard to defend when a model built less than a decade ago has a major body part literally crumbling apart at the seams yet a 35 year old Matchbox kit sitting inches away looks much like it did when new. Incidentily, a Dragon Sturmtiger I built around the same time does not suffer from the metal deterioration (yet).

I told him that their kit quality improved between the time they released the Panther G with diecast metal hulls and the hole-filled Abrams kits. I haven't bought any of the more recent Dragon 1/72 scale (I'm thinking their Firefly Vc or HMMWV gun truck were probably the last new kits I bought).

Any way, I told him I'd grab a more up-to-date Dragon kit so he could see how nice they are detailed. I went to the Dragon USA site and was looking at the various IJA tanks, which look nice to me. I was about to place an order for the Ha-Go, but decided I should ask before spending my money. As an aside, I checked out the prices on eBay, I can order a Ha-Go with a buy-it-now price plus shipping from several vendors for less than the price Dragon USA asks for before shipping. I'm glad I decided to ask since it probably saved me around $10.

RobG
Rob

I'm hardly an expert, but the Type 95 seems pretty good. It is true that more recent Dragon kits in this scale have undesirable moulded-on detail, but the Type 95 doesn't suffer from this & the detail is still very nice. The only real issue is that the lugs mounting the suspension units onto the hull are a bit loose & need bushing to get a decent fit. The driver's vision slit (not the hatch) needs replacing with a scrap of 10 thou card. That's about it.

There's a post showing the Dragon Type 95 kit two below this one and - further down - you'll see my 'tweaks list' for the newer Neubaufahrzeug kit.

Andy Lang

March 25th, 2012, 4:56 pm #4

RobG
Hi Rob,

I have a definite soft spot for their Stugs (III & IV) and the other tanks on the PzIV chassis, the Jagdpanzer IV. I have built all of them and had a great time doing it. They go together trouble free and look really good when finished OOB, start adding stuff and they are stunning models IMHO.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

March 25th, 2012, 10:04 pm #5

RobG
Hello Rob,

I don't know anything about the Japanese tanks, but I agree with Paul that the Stugs are a real gem. Also the Tiger 1 and for the allied camp the Shermans are really nice models, which can be build out of the box without much problems. Normally I pick them up around shows if they are lying in the bargain corner. ;>)

good luck with choosing

Bas
Last edited by Bas_Slaats on March 25th, 2012, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.twenot.nl

March 26th, 2012, 3:04 am #6

Hi Rob,

I have a definite soft spot for their Stugs (III & IV) and the other tanks on the PzIV chassis, the Jagdpanzer IV. I have built all of them and had a great time doing it. They go together trouble free and look really good when finished OOB, start adding stuff and they are stunning models IMHO.

All the best,

Paul
The upper hull is too tall and the details are dubious too such as the cover for the gunners periscope.
The hasegawa kit is more accurate shapewise. I too like the stug IV. the bradley kits are also very impressive.

March 26th, 2012, 10:00 pm #7

it comes with one of the L48 kits iirc.

March 27th, 2012, 11:55 am #8

Hello Rob,

I don't know anything about the Japanese tanks, but I agree with Paul that the Stugs are a real gem. Also the Tiger 1 and for the allied camp the Shermans are really nice models, which can be build out of the box without much problems. Normally I pick them up around shows if they are lying in the bargain corner. ;>)

good luck with choosing

Bas
I have several of the Shermans, but just not any of their more recent releases. I agree they are nice.

I'll have to see if I have any of their StuGs lying around. I tend to steer clear of WW2 German, although I have built plenty of Dragon's panzers. The new IJA tanks caught my eye and I figured they could be nice.

RobG
RobG