What do you recommend for rolling PE...

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

What do you recommend for rolling PE...

January 23rd, 2007, 8:46 pm #1

...such as hinges? I'm really trying to learn how to do quality work with PE: so far I've acquired the 5 speed Hold and Fold, and I'm making good progress in soldering. Next up is rolling the parts for some hinges. I've seen the two rolling sets by the Small Shop, i.e., standard and deluxe, and I'd appreciate any comments on them or on other techniques for doing what they do.

January 24th, 2007, 11:28 am #2

I Use some Stainless steel rod (K&S brass makes it) in a few diff. Dia's. Just be sure to Anneal the PE before rolling.

January 24th, 2007, 6:57 pm #3

K&S rod and tubing. I've also used some Evergreen Plastic rod and tube. Mission Models makes a roller set too I think but I have not used it.
DAVID NICKELS

January 24th, 2007, 9:44 pm #4

It sounds as if that might be a better solution than spending my money on a specialized tool with a necessarily limited number of sizes. One small question though, and please forgive me if I'm being a little thick, but when you refer to using tube, do you mean using it in the same manner as you would a rod to bend the part around, or do you mean that you split it to provide a curved inner surface which you would then use along with a rod?

January 25th, 2007, 10:41 am #5

You still use it as a "rolling pin" you'll need a diameter (rod or tube) slightly smaller that the diameter you're trying to roll to ans even after annealing the pe wants to spring back slightly.

The advantage I have is having a Lathe so I can turn "odd" diameters to make pe rollers.

HTH

Matt

January 26th, 2007, 2:44 pm #6

That's quite an advantage indeed. My immediate problem is finding something small enough to roll the hinges to accept .2mm wire. I'm sure I'll come up with something though. Thanks for the response.

January 27th, 2007, 3:32 pm #7

January 30th, 2007, 2:21 pm #8

...to roll the part around. At any rate, it would appear that the piano-style hinge which I was attempting as my first effort at making a hinge was a bit too ambitious, with the result that I'll probably be resorting to the part that came with the kit. The part was the hinge on the ammo bin on the DML 234/4, and the problem was that the rolled part came out too far back toward the mounting strip to mesh with the matching hinge on the door, which was also rolled too far back. I don't know if that makes any sense, but that's the only way I can really describe it. I'm trying to unroll it enough to make it work, but I expect that I'll either break it or make it too messy to use. Oh well. The next one will turn out better.