What do I use to make dio landscape?

The Dioramas discussion group is hosted by Marijn Van Gils and is dedicated to all aspects of military model dioramas.

What do I use to make dio landscape?

Matt Carlson
Matt Carlson

July 13th, 2003, 4:12 am #1

I have built an m26 pershing and iam putting it into a diorama.I have never made a diorama before and am wonderering what do you sculpt the land shape out of. I want to make the tank giong up a hill so that I can show the working suspension.I have seen tanks in model magazines on hillslopes and bumpy roads and I have been wondering what do they make the land out of?? If you have any information I would be very thankfull.

brent koller
brent koller

July 13th, 2003, 6:37 am #2

Your welcome anyway,,,,,,,,,

Steve Kubik
Steve Kubik

July 13th, 2003, 8:18 am #3

I have built an m26 pershing and iam putting it into a diorama.I have never made a diorama before and am wonderering what do you sculpt the land shape out of. I want to make the tank giong up a hill so that I can show the working suspension.I have seen tanks in model magazines on hillslopes and bumpy roads and I have been wondering what do they make the land out of?? If you have any information I would be very thankfull.
Sculptamold, which I think works better. Sculptamold doesn't shrink when it dries, as celluclay often does.

If you use Sculptamold, instead of using just water to mix it, use 25% white glue and 75% water. This stuff dries very quickly.

Steve

Janne Nilsson
Janne Nilsson

July 13th, 2003, 9:04 am #4

First a build up the form of the landscape roughly with styrofoam. This I glue to the base using white glue. Also using white glue when layering the styrofoam. Which sometimes needed.

Next I cover the styrofoam with plaster bandage with two layers smothing the surface with my finger while its still wet to avoid having the netpattern show. Its easy if your cut the plaster bandage with a scissor into credit card size pieces and apply them like patches. Leave it to dry over night.

At this stage you may choose what material to use. You can put on a thin layer of Cellyclay, plaster or spackle, clay etc of your choice. Perhaps only put on white glue and sprinkle sand, rock, plaster etc over it, depending on what scene your creationg and what you like to work with.

This method is cheap and makes the diorama light. It also speeds up the drying time as there are no build ups of thick layers. Espially when using clays that could be very expensive.

Also have in mind if youre going to have a tank in a type of material that shrinks a bit when drying, like Celluclay, cover the tracks with clingfilm and dont remove it before its completly dry. Its also good to wiggle on it now and then if you like to be able to remove it afterwards.

The best thing in my opinion is to finnish the tank more or less. Then colour the groundmaterial and let the groundmaterial glue the tank to the base.

Hope this helps.

Janne Nilsson
IPMS-Stockholm

Matt Carlson
Matt Carlson

July 13th, 2003, 9:18 pm #5

I will try using Celluclay.I was wondering if you could use styrofoam and nowi know. Thanks for the info!!!!

Janne Nilsson
Janne Nilsson

July 13th, 2003, 9:59 pm #6

..dont forget the plaster bandage in beetween.

Dont hesitate to contact me if you have any additional questions.

Janne Nilsson
IPMS-Stockholm

Matt Carlson
Matt Carlson

July 14th, 2003, 5:10 am #7

Ive biult one other dio. contianing a tiger tank. I just took a piece of plywood, put woodland sceinics glue and woodland sceinics "Dirt" to make the ground. It looks ok but is just flat and i wanna make a hill for next dio. I used itelari brick wall and made bombed out building it looks ok for first dio. I post pics of both whenim finished with my second dio. Again thanks!!

brent koller
brent koller

July 14th, 2003, 2:03 pm #8

^

Mike Broom
Mike Broom

July 15th, 2003, 3:24 am #9

Hey Brent:
Kinda harsh don't ya think. We obviously have a newbie here and you go and pull this spoiled child routine not once but twice in the same thread. We are here to help one another, not get praise and thanks for the help we provide. I believe he did thank all that responded anyway so whats your beef!!!
Mike

brent koller
brent koller

July 16th, 2003, 3:26 pm #10

But to keep a rather long story short
I'll say this:
What goes around comes around,,many times I've had
people do this to me and now I'm returning it
and I dont think I was harsh at all
and as for your "spoiled child" comment I will say
NO COMMENT,,,,,,,good day to you