What colour on a Austrian Fiat-Ansaldo?

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

What colour on a Austrian Fiat-Ansaldo?

May 8th, 2008, 10:21 pm #1

Hello.
Anybody who knows what colour Austrian Fiat-Ansaldo were painted in?
Looks rather light - some sort of brown shade?

Best regards,

Johan Lexell, Bison-Decals.

May 11th, 2008, 9:24 am #2

Johan

I can't comment specifically on the Austrian vehicles, but I'm confident that Italian tankette interiors were painted white (except the hatch inside faces). Is it likely that the Austrian vehicles would have been any different ?

PS - There are some new photos of Austrian CV-35 tankettes on the Dutch Beeldbank site

Andrew Lang
Last edited by ajnlang on May 11th, 2008, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 11th, 2008, 10:14 am #3

Thanks for your answer. But more important - what's the outside colour used?
Original Italian Sand?

Johan

May 11th, 2008, 11:18 am #4

Johan

Sorry for my error – I read ‘in’ as ‘inside’. I do understand the distinction, but still a bit embarrassing as English is supposed to be my first language !

I hadn’t noticed it before, but you have raised a fair point: Austrian tankettes do seem to be a fairly light colour. The Italians didn’t routinely use sand yellow as a colour scheme in the 1930’s. A couple of other export customers (China, Brazil) specified it, but it tended to be as part of a three-tone scheme (thin green & brown bands over a sand base). Tankettes in Italian service during this period were finished in a red-brown base with a green mottle. Is it possible that the Austrian vehicles were in just the red-brown base ? I only have about 6 photos of Austrian tankettes, but there’s a bit of variation in the tones – one is very light indeed. A number do look similar in tone to the ground on which they rest.

Andrew Lang
England…

May 28th, 2008, 8:19 am #5

..Light grey !

According to the Tallillo/Guglielmi book "Carro L3".

SDL

May 28th, 2008, 10:58 pm #6

Thank you Stirling.

Johan