What am I doing wrong with Tamiya primer?

July 28th, 2018, 7:27 am #1

Hey guys, I was just trying to use Tamiya's primer and had shitty results. I've used Vallejo's airbrush primer multiple times without issue but while spraying the Tamiya stuff that I had mixed well (six SS balls in the jar for a couple minutes) and in hundred degree heat outside the Tamiya primer nearly instantly gummed up and wouldn't spray. Now I'm stuck with a Mini Cooper that's covered in peach fuzz and spider-webbed primer; this was also from a new bottle that I bought today.

When the primer first started to gum up I tried thinning it with Tamiya's X20A thinner and that only seemed to make it worse. I thoroughly cleaned my airbrush, remixed my primer and ensured my PSI was correct (18 should be fine right?) and got similar results. I've had similar results the other time I used Tamiya's primer last year but I attributed that to my airbrush being lower quality; Neo by Iwata then and now an Iwata Eclipse.

I'm curious about what I'm doing wrong, or not doing at all to work with Tamiya's primer. I'm working on a project where I'll be sanding through a layer of paint so I want and need the best adhesion possible and a paint like Tamiya's that can be sanded through
Currently destoying;
AMT Chrysler 300 '58
Tamiya Mini Cooper Monte Carlo Rally
Meng A39 Tortoise
Italeri Crusader

July 28th, 2018, 8:15 pm #2

I use the Tamiya Surface primer, but in the spray can.  I do not think the Tamiya X20A thinner is compatible wit that primer.  The thinner is acrylic and the primer is not.  

August 1st, 2018, 9:11 pm #3

Hello,
for thinning the primer I use Mr. Color (Gunze) Leveling Thinner. It sprays wonderfully. HTH
Cheers,
Marco