were Mk.I's really used in palestine

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

were Mk.I's really used in palestine

June 4th, 2005, 1:52 am #1

Did the British employ tanks against the Turks, if they did what kind, what marking did they use and how did they paint them, are there any photos? any info will be helpfull

Thank you

June 4th, 2005, 9:05 pm #2

maybe not really palestine, but egypt is close enough. here's a little link:
http://users.argonet.co.uk/users/lionel ... gypt2.html

there's a polish book where there's a pic of a mk.I and there's a "palestine" written below it. so i guess there were. too bad there's no 1/35 mk.I kit around.....

hope i helped

June 4th, 2005, 11:26 pm #3

Did the British employ tanks against the Turks, if they did what kind, what marking did they use and how did they paint them, are there any photos? any info will be helpfull

Thank you
Yes, they certainly were used by a detachment from E Bn Tank Corps in 1917, originally of 8 tanks. The Mk IVs were sent out to replace unserviceable Mk Is and IIs.They were very probably overall Brown, obviously heavily faded and weathered. The names were:
HMLS Kia-Ora Female Mk II
HMLS Lady Wingate Mk IV Female
HMLS Nutty Female Mk II
HMLS Ole-Luk-Oie Male Mk I
HMLS Otazel Male Mk I
HMLS Pincher Male Mk I
HMLS Revenge Mk IV
HMLS Sir Archibald Male Mk II
HMLS Sir Reginald Mk IV Male
HMLS Tiger Female Mk I
HMLS War-Baby Female Mk I
HMLS War-Baby II Mk IV Female

Dick

June 5th, 2005, 1:43 am #4

thank you for the information, but what kind of markings did they use?

June 5th, 2005, 1:44 am #5

maybe not really palestine, but egypt is close enough. here's a little link:
http://users.argonet.co.uk/users/lionel ... gypt2.html

there's a polish book where there's a pic of a mk.I and there's a "palestine" written below it. so i guess there were. too bad there's no 1/35 mk.I kit around.....

hope i helped
thanks

June 5th, 2005, 9:08 am #6

thank you for the information, but what kind of markings did they use?
in David Fletcher's book British Tanks 1915-1919 he includes a photo one of the vehicles on page 99. It's a Mk IV with it's tracks removed but amazingly with spare tracklinks mounted across the glacis. This has got to be the first recorded example of tracklinks being used as extra armour protection. Other pics of vehicles in Palestine seem to just show the vehicle name in white near the front horns just behind the track adjusters about 3" high. I can't really make out any other markings.

June 5th, 2005, 1:21 pm #7

I was thinking about getting that book, and the info that you provided wil definatly help.

June 6th, 2005, 8:47 am #8

Thank you
I'm building a Mk I Female for Gaza at present, and you'll find a good source of photos in the New Vanguard on teh Mk I-III from David Fletcher. His old "Landships" from HMSo is a good source too, and tehse was a run down of tanks at Gaza in an old Mil Mod article on 5RTR.

Markings: Plain brown, with small tank name on nose, horns and in some cases rear if memory serves.

Mike Cooper

June 6th, 2005, 12:15 pm #9

I was thinking about getting that book anyway, now I will definatly get it, Oh what kit ae you using to build your MkI female? Is it in 1/35 scale?

June 6th, 2005, 2:52 pm #10

Sorry, its 1/76th, based on the Airfix WW1 tank

Widen Hull
New cab
Change hull roof
Matador tracks and sponsons
New radiator grill
Add armoured box for ram for tail

If you want 1/35th you are going to have to not only corrcet the Emhar Mk IV, but then scratch build your own Mk I roof, cab and sponsons. It'll be easier to do a Mk II, but you'd still need to make sponsons

Cheers

Mike Cooper