were camo nets used in ww1?

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

were camo nets used in ww1?

January 23rd, 2005, 9:23 am #1

I'm sure this will be considered a silly question to someone, however I simply do not know much about WW1, was camo netting used at all?
Thanks!

Phil Radley
Phil Radley

January 23rd, 2005, 10:04 am #2

camouflage had to improve as aircraft were used more and more for spotting targets for the artillery.

if you look through these photos i have gleaned, you can find pictures of well camouflaged artillery that does appear to be using netting over their position.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/philth ... a2&.src=ph

some of the tanks carry bundles that might just be netting - they would want to hide while they were laid up.

i dont know if its in this collection or whether i saw it on the DVD 'Line of Fire - Cambrai' (excellent by the way) but i'm sure i've seen a crew removing netting from a rhomboid

also, i seem to remeber Mike Cooper saying that tank crews carried a reversible tarpaulin that had a brick pattern on one side and, i think, a field pattern on the other.

January 23rd, 2005, 1:11 pm #3

cool pic's thanks bud!!

Peter Kempf
Peter Kempf

January 23rd, 2005, 2:58 pm #4

I'm sure this will be considered a silly question to someone, however I simply do not know much about WW1, was camo netting used at all?
Thanks!
Yes, but it came in many different forms: chicken-wire, fish-netting, and off course tarpaulins and white cloth and bed-sheets during the winter. The camo methods used were quite extensive, many times even more so than during WW2, because of the often static character of the fighting.

/Peter K

Mike Cooper
Mike Cooper

January 23rd, 2005, 5:49 pm #5

Thanks!
If the considerable photographic evidence wasn't enough, from the point of viewof rhomboid fans, there is good documentary evidence of camo nets being carried (externally, but often internally, seeminglt as an anti-slip measure) from 1917 onwards.

At Arras camouflaged sheets were used too.

Mike Cooper

Phil Radley
Phil Radley

January 23rd, 2005, 7:39 pm #6

cool pic's thanks bud!!

January 25th, 2005, 9:28 pm #7

Thanks!
A Mk IV is shown in the book ‘The Great Book of Tanks’ by David Miller (ISBN 0-7603-1475-6) Salamander Books on page 55.

It is preparing for the attack on Polygon Wood on the 26th September 1917 and is completely draped with a camouflage net which looks surprisingly modern.

David Griffin
David Griffin

January 27th, 2005, 3:02 am #8

Now that I have started looking for it, I am finding camo nets shown in many pictures. They cover vehicles, Tanks, trenches barracks and roads. There are nets with rags tied on, nets with foliage, painted canvas tarps, helment camo nets - just everywhere.