Were any of the Trumpeter Diesel locos other than grey or camo'd?

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

Were any of the Trumpeter Diesel locos other than grey or camo'd?

September 13th, 2017, 10:09 pm #1

Hi

Ref- Trumpeter 1/35 00216 German Wr 360 C12 Locomotive

I presume these were also used for shunting stuff around workshops, eg for vehicle repairs?
Probably just in grey, but it's not my normal knowledge area!

Any links or ref to other websites would be useful.

This is a good upgraded build, with camo -http://www.ratomodeling.com/finished/WR-360/

Also useful info -http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_su ... px?page=14

Cheers
Andrew
Last edited by AndrewTomlinson on September 13th, 2017, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 14th, 2017, 12:12 am #2

Hi Andrew,
In the military service all they were detached to ammunition depots where the steam locomotives were unwanted for obvious reasons. Here "all" means 10 produced in total (4 prototypes + 6 pre-series), in that matter Trumpeter (1/35)/Hobby Boss (1/72) choice of subject is really strange. They should have made much more popular and used C14 variant.
The prototypes weren't used by the Wehrmacht, and of the pre-series five C12 were detached to OKH and one to RLM. They were grey (or grey-green, it is hard to say from b/w pics).

HTH
Cheers!

September 14th, 2017, 12:12 pm #3

Hi

Ref- Trumpeter 1/35 00216 German Wr 360 C12 Locomotive

I presume these were also used for shunting stuff around workshops, eg for vehicle repairs?
Probably just in grey, but it's not my normal knowledge area!

Any links or ref to other websites would be useful.

This is a good upgraded build, with camo -http://www.ratomodeling.com/finished/WR-360/

Also useful info -http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_su ... px?page=14

Cheers
Andrew
Hello

as noted by Ilian the Trumpeter WR360 C12 was a small pre production run. The WR360 C14 was a larger run.

Below is from a blog I did years ago, and was the best information I could gather at the time, but may not be 100% accurate

The Trumpeter kit (1/72 and 1/35th) is the WR360 C12 type of which 10 were built in 1938. An almost identical model designated the WR360 C14 went into widespread production till late 1944 - a total of 261 being built, at more than 7 different plants, including Henschel and Krupp. After the war another 44 of these were built. Main difference between the C12 & C14 was the axle loading (12 & 14 tonnes per axle respectively).

http://braillebuilder.blogspot.com.au/search?q=wr360

Ilian is correct that most were used in industrial environments where sparks were forbidden, two were used in military service.

A C14 was used as motive power on Armoured Train (Panzerzug) 29. It was in action from the start of Barbarossa, on 22 June 1941, being changed to Russian gauge to participate. It was in action until mid Feb 42. It was withdrawing towards Vyazma with XLIII Corps. The train was blown up when a destroyed bridge prevented further withdrawl. (Source German Armored Trains Wolfgang Sawodny). Photos of the W14 show armoured covers for the radiator at the long end.

Paul Malmassari (Armored Trains) advises that the locomotive survived and went to the Armoured Train Training Depot at Rembertow. From here it was used to recover the rolling remnants of Armoured Trains destroyed in the East.

Wolfgagng Sawodny advises this was a separate defective locomotive that was supplied later in the war to tow targets for gunnery practice for new armoured train crews. As mentioned by Malmassari, Sawodny also states it was used to recover battle damaged armoured trains, from forward operational areas, which is why it was armoured and had radios fitted. Sawodny advises the staff at Rembertow fixed the defects which made it fully operational.

Photos of this locomotive show armour over the cab and sides. Also a bed frame antenna. Very hard to tell in poorly exposed old B & W photos but it appears to be painted light yellow or possibly white. This would not seem unlikely given it was operating in snow conditions at times. Armoured trains also conformed to Army paint schemes, grey for early war and yellow (with or without green/brown) from 1943. Whitewash in snow conditions.

In February 1945 this loco was the regular locomotive for Panzerzug 83 (a former line protection train, not a BP44 type). It withdrew and surrendered to the Americans in May 1945. How it may have been painted is anyone's guess.

Also Panzerzug 29's locomotive may have received some form of whitening given it operated in Russia in direct support of units of Army Group Centre during Winter 1941/42.

There are very few photos of either of these diesels in service. Other than the photo where The Rembertow C14 looks quite pale, in the few they appear to be a dark colour, most likely grey, or DR green.

cheers
Neil
Last edited by neilyall on September 14th, 2017, 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Lyall

September 14th, 2017, 9:24 pm #4

Hi
So looks like I'll finish it with a wagon in home service at a Depot.

PS were the low sided wagons also used to carry softskins? Still researching this possibility.

Cheers
Andrew

September 14th, 2017, 10:34 pm #5

Hello.

Any flat or open wagon could be used for soft skins. The small 4 wheel wagons had a maximum load limit of 20 tonnes (I think) so weight would not be a problem.

The 4 wheeled flat wagons were also strengthened to accept a 25 tonne load, which allowed armoured vehicles to be carried. Pics exist of Panzer IVs and Stugs, and Hummels on these.

There are photos of Schwimmwagens "double decked" on open wagons.

It probably would be fair to say that most soft skins in military service had a ride on a train at some stage. It was the only way to move equipment "enmasse" saved fuel which was always in short supply, and wear and tear on the vehicles.

The primary difference between C12 and C14 locos was in the load they could pull or push. From a visual viewpoint they are all but identical.

Cheers
Neil

Last edited by neilyall on September 14th, 2017, 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Lyall

September 15th, 2017, 10:08 am #6

Hi
So looks like I'll finish it with a wagon in home service at a Depot.

PS were the low sided wagons also used to carry softskins? Still researching this possibility.

Cheers
Andrew
Hi Andrew,
The railway was and still is the only meaning of transport of military vehicles on relatively big distances. The softskins were transported by train and there are many pictures to confirm this. In general you can load anything on, let's say platform, as far as it doesn't exceed the load capacity stated on it.

Cheers!

September 15th, 2017, 4:35 pm #7

And alltough it is incorrect i will have it behind my k5, and paint it greenish with dr markings, but, the only dislike I have, there are no upgrades for the kit, and it could use an open enginebay and some extra driver instruments and such.

I've got a ammo or mig paint set witch contains a really nice feldgendarmie green color, ill use it for my loco

September 15th, 2017, 6:13 pm #8

Hi Timo,
DR markings would't be correct for your needs, I'm afraid. These shunters were detached to the Wehrmacht and only after the war the survivors were adorned with full set of DR/DB markings.
In Wehrmacht service they've had only numbers, if you're interested the known numbers of the locomotives WR360 C12 in OKH service were 10722, 36107 and 36108 (and two unknown).
Shunting K5 is good idea, for this was one of the uses these diesels were intended for.
Cheers!

September 15th, 2017, 8:57 pm #9

Hi
I have the Miniart water pump to use, (thankfully on offer!). I'll probably acquire their Signal tower as well. Hopefully these will be suitable in a German / Russian location.

I now need to confirm on which side of the train the signal tower should be on? Ie any restrictions?

Cheers
Andrew

September 15th, 2017, 9:34 pm #10

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-35-Steyr-2000A ... Sw5FpZonGn

An interesting version.

Cheers
Andrew