well what do you think of this Mark IV colour ??

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

well what do you think of this Mark IV colour ??

October 23rd, 2005, 5:01 pm #1

Hey guys well I've painted it in Humbroll 29 mixed with some Humbroll 98 chocolate

what do you think ??
cheers
Dom

October 24th, 2005, 7:42 am #2

see the discussions below

Dick

October 24th, 2005, 7:59 am #3

that is what I used BUT still needs filters to lighten panels and Mig-pigments to weather

also picture is taken without flash at night so colour is brighter in real life

cheers
Dom

October 24th, 2005, 8:03 am #4

see the discussions below

Dick
I've been using 98+29 for a WW2 RAAF colour recently, and been struck by how strong 98 is. Part of the issue here is that Humbrols formulae have wobbled over the years - try plain 29 and see what it looks like against the picks of the Mk IV in Brussels. Another issue is use of white spirit/thinner asa dilutant and varnish. Coat of varnish always brings up the colour

I painted this IV Supply and Female using the SCC2 mix on the MAFVA site, but even then you can find its easy to get a very strong colour. In daylight these two look OK re the tonal balance of photos and the Mk VII Model in Bovvie. David Fletcher says this hasn't beebn repainted and as far as I can tell from the Museum's photos of teh Brussels Mk IV, they're pretty much teh same colour. Part of the issue here, of course, is that we've a very small sample to work on. If you look at the WW2 colour show of a Mk V in Berlin...well...what are we dealing with there...?

Has anyone been able to get a FS or other standard fix from the Brussels tank?

I now think my Mk V has gone a bit "chocolately", although again, it looks better in daylight! I feel a re=paint coming on

Whippet is plain Humbrol 29 - note that I am aware of the green/brown Whippet issue!

As Dick has pointed out, whatever the colour in use is its "medium" and not "dark".

Can I ask about teh shading - is there a contemporary source for this effect?

Mike Cooper

October 24th, 2005, 9:01 am #5

just to remind that it's not finished !!

still needs a beige-yellow filter to give it that goldenish look...

also a very nice figure is coming with it + a dio

so watch out for it, I'll keep you posted !

cheers
Dom

ps that shading is just to give it more depth